Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always confuses me when people make their own Chapters and they think through the background, sometimes they make a very plausible background straight away, the rest of the time it needs a little work before it's something the community can get behind but then they choose such an overused concept.

At least 80% of DIY Chapters seem to be either descended from the Lost Legions, Loyalists from the Traitor Legions, or 2nd Foundings- why choose that Founding?

Seriously I can understand the Traitor and Lost Legion thing, even if I think it lessens the Chapter back story, but there's been at least 26 Foundings so why choose the one where there's only 4 Chapters out of the dozens that were founded that we don't have any details on?

There are basically 4 Foundings, excluding the 1st, that we know much about: the 2nd (of which we know basically everything), the 13th (the Dark Founding), 21st (the Cursed Founding), and the 26th which I believe was the most recent.

Pick. A. Different. Founding.

You want your Chapter founded early in the Imperium's history?
Pick the 3rd or 4th Foundings or something, Foundings that we have absolutely no knowledge about which adds a degree of plausibility to your Chapter back story.

Please if anyone has made a DIY Chapter (loyalist or traitor) that isn't from one of those 4 Foundings, or implausible origin, then post that stuff up and restore my faith in the imagination of humanity.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
In my defense I had no other choice but to pick the 13th.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i could work on some fluff like that for you my choas marines don't have any fluff to them yet, been busy with my Ghost Angels tbh, ill write something out for you see what you think

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sometimes there's a valid reason for picking the 13th or 21st Foundings, but too many people fall back on the 'my Chapter is really dark and/or cursed in it's methods'...it's not dark or cursed if everyone is the same!

But at least in those Foundings we only know about a dozen or so Chapters, though with the amount of DIY Chapters created in that period, it's obvious that someone is making a vast 'dark & cursed' Astartes army to sweep the Imperium clean :p

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Yes...... as it turns out there are roughly a billion space marines lying in wait. lol

·
Registered
675 Posts
Pick. A. Different. Founding.
Don't forget about unknown foundings, you know where not a single soul in the entire 40k universe knows the origin of that particular chapter :ireful2: I think its especially weak or lazy fluff :nono:

Well I chose the 25th founding for my Black Dogs; but I don't really explain on the entire founding itself just my chapter. Here why don't you take a look and tell me what you think Black Dogs Space Marine Chapter

Yes...... as it turns out there are roughly a billion space marines lying in wait. lol
:laugh:LOL!:laugh: +REP If the fluff was based on the gaming community this would be so true :so_happy: :victory:

AH damn I'm sorry Ahab I need to spread more rep apparently :( the moment I can I give ya some :eek:k:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
when I played generic SM I had them be from the 26 founding and come from the SW legion and they are all really deformed from being founded with geneseed that had been stripped individually for every founding pretty much they all have the mark of the wulfen look on them (they don't have the rule of course)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
@imntdead,
np man, thanks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
+! rep for that chapter imnt sweet origin

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Shit! That's damn well thought out man. Gives me a good format to use so I can finally get my own chapter done if you would permit me to use it. Which leads me to my question.... May I? Lol damn fine work.

·
Registered
675 Posts
+! rep for that chapter imnt sweet origin
@imntdead: I just finished reading it- you've rekindled my hope in humanity, that was one of the best Chapter backgrounds I've ever seen. From a fluff point of view I couldn't find a single problem with it, it was all so plausible...I weep with gratitude good sir.:eek:k:
Well thank you very much :thank_you: However there are some who will and do dispute the idea of the Deathwatch squads getting involved; but then there are many who would also back it up :so_happy:

It has taken me a few years to write up this chapter and that's mostly due to a lack of information :read: and I was trying to go for a strong unique personality for my chapter without having it being one of the missing legions, the dark 13th founding, the cursed 21st founding or some random marine remnant of a traitor legion. I needed a chapter that could be easily be adjusted as new SM codex come and go.

I also didn't want them to be descended directing from one of the first founding and with most chapters already being successors to the Ultramarines I figured it was the most logical origin for my own chapter to be a successor of another chapter and that's why I chose the Avenging Sons of the 19th founding and I like their name.

I also didn't want to be a successor to chapters like the Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves because I believe my marines would have to have many of their traits, such as the Blood Angels and the Black Rage for example. Such traits I do not believe any of their successor chapters can or ever be free of unless some outside force gets involved.

However their is not much else I can do for my Black Dogs so I have turned my attention developing my own factions for each 40K army and hope that my fluff is as strong for them as it is for my Black Dogs. :victory:

Shit! That's damn well thought out man. Gives me a good format to use so I can finally get my own chapter done if you would permit me to use it. Which leads me to my question.... May I? Lol damn fine work.
By all means you're welcome to do so, anything that helps develop strong fluff should be shared I always say :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have to say might fine work, really liked how you talked though the mutations staged by stage like i said might fine work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts