Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im doing a high elf army and im thinking of using phoenix's as a theme for my army but still include in everyother units.
My question is this when i buy some great eagles at some point how would i paint them to look like phoenix's to keep them with the theme of my army.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Well a Phoenix is a great bird that is nearly always related in some way to fire. So lots of reds and oranges would do well. Also A bit of conversion would be needed I'd say, mainly things like flames on the legs and edges of the wings and something I've seen in nearly every bit of artwork for a phoenix is a long trail of feathers from the head.

Something like this Would probably be the easiest to get close to a phoenix without too much actual work on the model.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Although GS some extended tail feather could be a good idea as alread suggested, the paint job could do the trick. Looking at the link provided by Whizzwang shows that the percieved image of a phoenix is to go from a deep orange to a brigth yellow on the wingtips. This should be smple enough in theory to replicate on the Eagles.

I'd personally go for a orangy brown coulour and build up gradually on the highlights through orange and yellow on the extreme tips of the feathers.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'd personally go for a orangy brown coulour and build up gradually on the highlights through orange and yellow on the extreme tips of the feathers.
I'd probably go the other way, with a strong yellow-gold for the main body, fading through orange to black on the tips of the wings.

Something like this:

I think you will get away with just the paint job as Humakt said, but that's still going to be a big project to get it looking good, so i'd likely try and do the GS too to get it perfect.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts