Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My Brother-in-law is phobic about buttons. He used to have issues at school because if he took off his shirt, say for PE, when he got re-dressed he couldn't do his shirt up properly.
Over time, I've become more and more claustrophobic and also terrified of flying. This last doesn't hgelp because I live in Oz and my wife enjoys going on our hols in places that we can only reach by flying; we've just come home for a visit and I needed to be blitzed out of my gourd on Xanax to feel comfortable about the flight.
I can see where my phobias have started getting worse, but the claustrophobia is a true phobia- it is irrational and comes from no outside incident when I was young. It's always easy for us who are 'normal' to refuse to understand those folk who admit to being scared of everyday objects or situations. It's only when we get to know someone with such a phobia that we can see the reality of it.

GFP

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i dont think i have any 'phobias'
i mean, if theres a spider about my room, its not spending the night there.
heights im utterly fine with(flying, tall buildings etc) unless there is nothing to stop me going over the edge (fence or the like), its not that im 'scared' more i think 'sods fucking law, if i go near that ledge, ill be the one that tumbles over or trips on a hidden step' :p

i find the human mind fascinating(spelling, i know). like how we associate the most mundane objects to something bad in our childhood and can carry those feelings way into when we are 'rational' adults.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Aye, it's an incredible thing, capable of so much, and so easy to cock up!

See Norm's given the whole part I find bizarre right there. He has a phobia of cotton wool, knows its bizarre, but can't make it work. Admittedly I don't like the feel of cotton wool, it's not quite right!

Isn't the social situations and anxiety just part of being into 40k/nerding in general? :wink: I do know quite a few people like that!

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I can see where my phobias have started getting worse, but the claustrophobia is a true phobia- it is irrational and comes from no outside incident when I was young. It's always easy for us who are 'normal' to refuse to understand those folk who admit to being scared of everyday objects or situations. It's only when we get to know someone with such a phobia that we can see the reality of it.

GFP
I don't see as there is anything irrational about claustrophobia, potholers are freaks, that's why there aren't many of them.
Obviously, more extreme forms of claustrophobia are a concern, like people who won't sit in a room with the door and windows closed, but feeling uncomfortable at the thought of being in an enclosed space seems normal to me.
Personally I would put claustrophobia in the same category as arachnophobia or acrophobia, it's not irrational to be afraid of something that is either highly unpleasant, potentially dangerous or both.

The buttons one is strange though, I can avoid cotton wool easily meaning I don't have to confront the phobia or become desensitised to it but buttons?
How the hell do you avoid buttons?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The buttons one is strange though, I can avoid cotton wool easily meaning I don't have to confront the phobia or become desensitised to it but buttons?
How the hell do you avoid buttons?
velcro, velcro everywhere!!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My sister and a friend I know are deathly afriad of bees. I can understand fear, like "Oh no! a bee! I must get on the other side of my friend!" kind of fear...

But my sister and friend literally scream out loud and run around screaming out loud and running in circles and almost crying their eyes out when they see one.

Think, "OH MY GAWD A BEE! A FUCKING BEE! GET IT THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME! OH MY GOD WAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAW!" kind of scream, while running around in circles and almost crying.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My sister and a friend I know are deathly afriad of bees. I can understand fear, like "Oh no! a bee! I must get on the other side of my friend!" kind of fear...

But my sister and friend literally scream out loud and run around screaming out loud and running in circles and almost crying their eyes out when they see one.

Think, "OH MY GAWD A BEE! A FUCKING BEE! GET IT THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME! OH MY GOD WAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAW!" kind of scream, while running around in circles and almost crying.
i'd wager at some point they were stung as a child, and to a child a bee sting will seem like the end of the world. they probably just held on to that feeling (i wont use the word trauma, because that suggests something much more serious)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
While that may be true, neither one of them is allergic to bees/wasps/hornets, so their lives aren't threatened, and I know from experience that bee stings hurt a tiny bit for about two seconds, then you pull it out with no further pain or trouble.

And I'm a wimp :/

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
While that may be true, neither one of them is allergic to bees/wasps/hornets, so their lives aren't threatened, and I know from experience that bee stings hurt a tiny bit for about two seconds, then you pull it out with no further pain or trouble.

And I'm a wimp :/
Again, a phobia is an irrational fear, it doesn't matter that the bee or wasp can't kill them, they have learned to associate bees and wasps with something deeply unpleasant and are now afraid of them.
I know that cotton wool can't hurt me, it definitely can't kill me but I'm still terrified of the fucking stuff!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a fear of being infected by flesh eating bacteria, even though there has never been a single recorded case in the area I live, as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have a fear of being infected by flesh eating bacteria, even though there has never been a single recorded case in the area I live, as far as I know.
thats because all the people that have come into contact with it have ben eaten!!!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts