Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its been a while, I lost the painting bug for a bit, but now I'm back :p I'll try to include links to more pictures on my website whenever I can. I'm going to try and use this primarily to keep track of what I can get done for my Deathwatch army. I need 2k painted by December o_O So without further adieu here's a few things:

First up is a completed mini. The first member of my Inquisitor's Retinue - a Vostroyan Plasma Gunner:

Next is another completed mini, this one a commission - Eldar Shadowseer:

Now for two WIPs! First is an Inquisitor who is going to stand in as an Acolyte in the retinue (the real Inquisitor is Hector Rex!)

And last but not least, is the second plasma gunner for the retinue!

Well then, hopefully I can get updates up pretty often. I've got lots of painting to do to get stuff done in time, so keep looking. Also, if anyone is interested, here's links to my previous WIPs which I am allowing to die since they are old:

Old Deathwatch WIP
Old General WIP

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks man! I doubt I'll do more, no IG for me! LOL

Here's an update on the stand-in Acolyte:

Edit:

Bed Time Update:

I'm a little disappointed in the pictures. There's actually a lot more depth in the armour here than you can see. I'm hoping the light box does it better justice when I do the final pics.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's tonights update. A few things left to finish. Mainly the base and little tochup's here and there!

Im contemplating some scroll work on the inside of the cloak, but I need a good (yet simple) Celtic knot kind of thing. Might just skip it. The cloak looks ok just cream colored.

CC welcome!

Edit:

Finished! Full pics here!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yea, I've had a lot of comments on the hair being too bright ;; I've left it for now.

But, here's the next two minis!

Familiar!

And 2nd Plasmagunner!

Edit:

Upcoming minis!

Second Acolyte:

First Mystic:

Second Mystic:

Sage:

Still waiting on the Multi-Melta Servitor in the mail, but this last one is the big guns!

·
Registered
323 Posts
lookin good,cant wait to see the fw inquisitor, +rep for the 1st one although the hair is a bit too "yellow" for my liking

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
They all look good to me mate. The only thing I don't like is the skin colour of the Familiar, it seems....Glossy to me. My favourite has to be the Eldar one at the top though, I really like it. Plus rep mate, keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys! I too am really looking forward to Hector Rex. He's been sitting on my desk for a good six months, and I've just been too afraid to paint him. Figured its time!

The diamond plate is plastruct sheets directly from the plastruct website. Just search 'diamond' and you'll find it. The grating is windows screen. I got about 150 square feet for $10 from home depot.... I'll never run out!

Edit: Here's a tutorial on how I make my bases: http://www.arolkay.com/RecentJobs/Tutorials/IndustrialBase.php

Edit (08-21-10): Here's the second Acolyte WIP:

I'm not sure if I like how he's coming out, but I've learned to have faith in my subconscious vision of a miniature! Many a times its been crap half way through and come together at the end. So we'll see.

Here's another Eldar commission I'm working on as well:

Edit: 08-22-10: Bedtime update!

Seer Council almost completed. Some touch-ups, clear coat, and gloss gems, and they'll be done:

Also started on the first Mystic for my Inquisitor. Ran through this guy so fast, I'm amazed he's as good as he is. Building his base now!

The white is incredibly washed out in these pictures. I'm kind of starting to dislike the light box for that fact. It doesn't show the small variations in color that give this guy depth ;;

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'm very depressed today. My clear coat has wreaked havic with several minis. I've recovered them as best I can, but ... who can say ;; I'll be changing brands again....

Here's the Seer Council. They aren't nearly as vivid as they were before ;;

And here's the first Mystic for my Inquisitor. I've very upset at this one, because he's a forgeworld mini... and I'm kinna scared to strip him if I have to.

@dandan1350 - The red is actually very very simple. You simply layer your colors from Scab Red, to Red Gore, and finally to Blood Red, then give it a nice Baal Red wash. The trick is mixing. Between those three paints, I probably did 10 layers. Meaning lots of mixes! :p Good luck.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
I had a problem with my clear coat as well. I found that if I take a space heater (small one that you would use in an office to keep your feet warm) and set it up to a decent temp that is fairly warm. Then I clear coat the minis and pick them up and wave them in front of the hot air for a little bit it seems to make the clear coat invisible and smooth. I know it is not a humidity problem as I have the AC running and a dehumidifier that is separate from the central air. Gotta be careful though it can overheat and bubble some spots, but this mostly happens with the metal parts of the minis.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts