Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes.

The partial rules are under blast templates. The section specifically says tat the section doe not apply to ordinance blasts because they use big shells. It says to look to the ordinance section.

The ordinance section (1 pg back) has no partial rule.

Therefore, ordinance needs no partial rolls. It makes sense (Earthshaker round compared to barbed strangler, I hear it's hard to avoid the whistling metal death raining down at near sonic speed compared to a a flailing mass of bio-razor wire.) and RAW it says so. Rarely do these two meet, but when they do, I embrace it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I've always played it that Ordnance describes damage potential, and the template determined the area of affect. The rules for the weapon and rules for the template are not the same thing.

Even single shot non-template weapons can be Ordnance, so stating that the Ordnance template has a special significance is pointless, as there is no Ordnance template.

Each weapon either fires a single shot, or uses one of the available templates, and must follow the rules for that template. In this case, small or large blast templates do roll for partials, while flamer templates do not. Now that you know what you've hit, refer to the weapon's rules to determine just what kind of damage you've done to the models hit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had always played it with partials, till someone pointed this out. I understand your point, but you have to admit, RAW says that partials don't apply to odrinance blasts. I didn't mean there was an ordinance template, and if it looks like that i wrote wrong, but it says that ordinance weapons with blasts go to te ordinance rules, and that the rules in the large blasts section don't apply. It even hints at why with the excuse that ordinance blasts are so much bigger.

I really intend to play it as ordinance=no partial rolls.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with hespithe. I see where pure has a point, in that it says the blast weapons section does not cover ordnance weapons. However, if you try to use the ordnance section alone it also never states that models under the template are hit. Even ones fully under the template. If you take the fact that the book doesn't specifically say that as evidence of how something works, then ordnance weapons cannot score hits at all because the ordnance section doesn't ever say that models under the template are hit. It talks about how to scatter it though, and that's what I think they're referring to when they say that blasts are different from ordnance. Blasts have to roll to hit, ordnance doesn't.

If you played it your way with the book's literal RAW interpretation, your ordnance shots scatter and then do nothing because no hits are applied to models under the template. If the ordnance section included this information, I'd give the no partials thing more credence. However, it's pretty clear that ordnance rules determine how the weapon is fired and where the template ends up but teh blast rules determine who is hit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
ordanance wpn states that you use the large blast marker. now go look under the blast wpn on next page. there are 2 types. small and large. they use the partials are hit on a 4+. simple.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
So do you play no partials as in everyone is hit or that those partials are out?

If your going to play that theres no partials then were going to argue for the everyone is hit rule rather than no partials are hit. Otherwise leave it the way it is that people role for partials. (though personally I hate partials and think it should be their always hit..)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i've always plade the partial rule with ordanance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts