Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being cheap like I am. I decided that the money needed for a proper waagh was way too much for me.

To that end, I decided that I had more time than money and decided to make myself a paper waagh. Whyle my fellow players initially scoffed at my "Tube" army. They have since come to realize that because of it, I have practically everything in the Ork Codex, then some.

I decided I would share the files with you guys here. Enjoy!
File Folder: http://www.mediafire.com/?2iz1ibjbghluh

All files are in .pptx format. (Microsoft PowerPoint 2007+) You can download the entire zip file, or merely the individual files you want.

Please keep in mind that all figures and models are designed to be simply Print>Cut>Glue>Play. The vehicles ARE NOT designed to mimic the look of a WWG style ork model. They will be recognizable for what they are, but they will not win any beauty contests. This also means that the models are "smooth." The models have textures printed on the pattern. Unfortunately this means unless you have photoshop/ppt skills, you will not be able to add in alot of customization unless you glue on spare parts. However, if you are on the cheap like I am, it works and works well.

Included:

Ork Paper Army: Includes tube proxies of every ork figurine in the codex. Base size when rolled and glued should approximate the standard base size. I use tubes instead of paper cutouts because tubes allow for better LOS (I.E. 3d tube vs 2d cutout.) Heights may not be perfect, but the tubes are perfectly usable, just remember if you can see the tube, you can see the model.

Big Gunz: This file contains what amounts to a big metal looking cannon. The original shape WAS an enlarged cannon from a paper galleon. This shape has been re-skinned to give it a metallic look. Its not the prettiest figure on the table, but it will get the job done.

Truck: Yes, its the Ork Trukk! This figure will resemble a flat-bed truck when complete. It actually has enough room to hold 10 25mm tube figures. Not quite the 12 That its supposed to.

Battlewagon: This is probably the most complex of the paper models. Its body comes in 3 sections. And has parts for 3 variations of deffrolla. There is a simple steam-rolla, a 3-rotary saw blade -rolla, and a combine thresher style rolla.

Tank: This model is a fairly simple looking tank. Its mildly comical looking with a gun a bit too big for it, but works well as a Looted Wagon, or as grot tanks.

[/b]Pulsa Rokkit This monstrosity stands over a foot high when complete. Its designed to be free standing, as such, it does not have the launcher as seen in the book. Oddly enough (pure coincidence) it seems to fit pretty well if layed into a Trukk.

While not in this set of downloads, I am also working on an Ork Stompa. :)

I'm redesigning my Deff Dread and my Killa Kans as they just weren't working. I have yet to figure out a decent way to do Bikes, Buggies, or Trakks.

----
Here are Pics for my Paper Waagh!
Unfortunately some of the pics are out of focus, but here goes!

Vehicle Samples:

All at Once:

My Looted Wagon/Grot Tank

Big Gunzz (i'm Currently sitting at 9 of these things)

Trukk

The BattleWagonz

Pulsa Rokkit

Tube Boyz

What do you guys think?

PS the Tubes are now in color. But the original print offs were in BW for ink purposes.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
That is pretty fricking cool.

Not something most people would allow on a table, but to be honest i wouldn't have a problem with it. The amount effort that has gone into this must be huge and the overall effect is quite impressive.

+1 Rep My friend

SGMAlice

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is pretty fricking cool.

Not something most people would allow on a table, but to be honest i wouldn't have a problem with it. The amount effort that has gone into this must be huge and the overall effect is quite impressive.

+1 Rep My friend

SGMAlice
Thanks!

I see no problem with it except for people who believe in WYSIWYG rules. My gaming group doesn't care, since everything is easily identifiable for what it is, the proxies are appropriate in scale, and LOS works great.

The only things that are potential problems are secondary weapons on the Battle Wagons.

Though I don't think I'd bring it out to a tourny...

·
Registered
632 Posts
very urmmmm whats the word, ah yes that its, well used inititive. I like your idea but it seems like a lot of work was put into them and i personally would prefere the real thing, but it is a good idea and like the way you think.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I'd happily play against this kind of army. I mean, granted it doesn't look as good as the real models but mechanically speaking there's very little cause for worry once playing the game itself. Everything is pretty much the right size and as long as you're consistent about who has what (no changing one's mind halfway through the game about a unit of Boyz having shootas or sluggas) then I don't see a problem. Don't worry about people who disapprove of what you're doing. You decide what to do with your time and money so screw anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem playing against someone like this though I could see it getting visually boring after a while...

I think this is better used to screen-test a unit before buying it, so print out a few meganobz and see how they play, if you like them, etc, before you spend an unholy amount on the actual unit...

Oh and those Trukks look absolutely bloody rediculous :p Soorry had to say that one lol

Overall a good idea I feel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The vehicles look good enough and I'd quite happily play against them although I'd draw the line at the 'tube boyz'. Just no. On the other hand who am I to complain? GW's last price rise priced me out of buying any more units (i was only getting infantry models as the last vehicle price rise priced me out of getting any more tanks) so i haven't bought anything in ages. I still play occasionally although with what little time i have left, I try and make some varied cheapish terrain to keep things fresh.

Anyone who can still afford to add to their collection is quite privileged :)

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Itybih2ku, how about orkified origami?

More power to you. Stick it to the man!!!:p It should be understood that some people have a great imagination, want to share in their friend's hobbies but do not have the means to and can't/won't exchange their organs or limbs to finance their "divertissement". It can be a f**kin expensive experience!:crazy:

·
Registered
270 Posts
awesome man, don't let the rules lawyers get ya down! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I would have a problem playing against a person who brought that to a gaming club. I couldn't do it. I don't expect my opponents to have fully painted armies or even a fully WYSIWYG list, but I do expect to play against actual models. They don't even have to be GW models, they can be from a different game system or manufacturer all together, but I do expect plastic, metal or resin models none-the-less, not paper dolls.

Is it even creative? No, not really. It just reeks of being cheap. It is a game/hobby of miniatures after all, not paper dolls and paste like in kindergarten.

The only exception to this would be for trying a new unit or item before buying or building the actual model(s). That would have to be the only time I would allow it, and even then, one or two games max. After that, buy or build an actual model and recycle the paper.

Sorry, I don't like or agree with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd probably play you once. Maybe. Sorry. There's proxying a unit in an army, and then there's this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To all those who disapprove:

Thanks for the feedback. I posted these to share for anyone to use. I do not really care for you're opinion. I also do not care that you would rather me spend the 100s of dollars to field this. I will continue to use these as I see fit. If you REALLY have a problem with people using them, the only one truly losing out is you. As you are now losing out on an opponent.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you REALLY have a problem with people using them, the only one truly losing out is you. As you are now losing out on an opponent.
That's like screaming "You're losing out on a great shag!" after a woman who is running away from you after you just tried to rape her.
:p

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
My response is in blue:

Thanks for the feedback.

Your welcome.

If you REALLY have a problem with people using them, the only one truly losing out is you. As you are now losing out on an opponent.

That is fine by me as I feel this game/hobby is about visual appeal and aesthetics just as much, if not more so than winning or even the random pickup game I can get in. I, (and countless others around the world) spent the time and energy to build, paint and generally have an army that I can be proud to display and use.
Paper stuff like that is a slap in the face to those who take the time and put in the effort to have a visually appealing army to use.

I have seen paper tanks and vehicles before that were just as good as the actual model they were based on. Those are more acceptable as they showed that the person that built them put a lot of time and effort into them. Those you posted are laughable at best.

Here is a LINK to what I am speaking of. That is a quality bit of modeling and effort put forth to make something out of paper.

Here is another on an even larger scale, a titan. LINK.

I would play against an entire army of those, without question.
Sorry if I am coming off a bit harsh, or even dickheaded, I do not truly mean to be but I feel that strongly about it.

If you are having fun playing the game and your opponent is good with it, who am I to complain really... :eek:k:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's like screaming "You're losing out on a great shag!" after a woman who is running away from you after you just tried to rape her.
:p
Wait. I am somehow "raping" you by plaing with this army. It must be because of the way you are dressed, you are just asking for it.

I personally think that you are just being a bit stuffy. Here, have a drink. I promise there's nothing in it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No, I'm saying that playing you would probably be as enjoyable as being raped by a muscular black man.
For starters, your models are ugly. But that's plain to see.
Then, only your tanks have weapons modelled, and only the main turret. So you measure LOS from what, exactly?
I'll have that drink now, thank you.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I posted these to share for anyone to use. I do not really care for you're opinion. I also do not care that you would rather me spend the 100s of dollars to field this. I will continue to use these as I see fit. If you REALLY have a problem with people using them, the only one truly losing out is you. As you are now losing out on an opponent.
Well the same could be said for you, because you are not willing to invest in models you are quite likely putting off opponents, as other have said the game of 40k is a miniature based wargame, By all means look for ways to save money on models but at the very least show your opponent a level of respect and scratch build or convert a cheap kit.

Plus to be honest the ork army is one of the cheapest and most versatile and convertible armies for those on a tight budget, and you can pretty much scratchbuild and convert any model and field it as an ork vehicle not to mention you can pick up Ork boys from the AOBR for a pittance on ebay.

Personally i find proxy's disrespectful (unless its for rule test purposes), i will let someone use a predator as a rhino for an odd game, but if you want to upturn a bucket and call it a stompa your shit out of luck and the same goes for paper models.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the same could be said for you, because you are not willing to invest in models you are quite likely putting off opponents, as other have said the game of 40k is a miniature based wargame, By all means look for ways to save money on models but at the very least show your opponent a level of respect and scratch build or convert a cheap kit.

Plus to be honest the ork army is one of the cheapest and most versatile and convertible armies for those on a tight budget, and you can pretty much scratchbuild and convert any model and field it as an ork vehicle not to mention you can pick up Ork boys from the AOBR for a pittance on ebay.

Personally i find proxy's disrespectful (unless its for rule test purposes), i will let someone use a predator as a rhino for an odd game, but if you want to upturn a bucket and call it a stompa your shit out of luck and the same goes for paper models.
Which is fine. I have a gaming group I do play with, and they don't mind. (Though I do get a bit of well deserved ribbing).

I'm Cheap, but they want me to play. This was my solution. If you scoff, thats your business. I'll find less picky people and then I'll enjoy playing the game.

I play the game to play the game. As is, I don't give a Space marine's ass (slightly below a rat's) what your opinion of my models are.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts