Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I was introduced into 40k by my friends who played tau and grey knights a couple of years ago. I have always loved the lore and might want to get into war gaming, although I admit I was always put off by it because of the amount of rules. If you don't mind I do have a couple of beginner questions that I suppose I could ask here. Keep in mind I am new to forums so I hope I don't post things in the wrong section.

I have always thought Chaos would be a fun army to use but I also really like Space Marines, even though they are the most popular. My friend (who played tau) said that chaos might be difficult for a newbie and he suggested I play as SM and I think I will.

1) Although the Black Templars are my favorite Chapter, I think I am going to paint a custom army. Now some armies like the dark angels don't strictly follow just two colors and that's it. Some units have certain paintings while others have different colors. If I paint my army with different colors is that okay to do? I know there aren't "rules" on it but is it frowned upon?

2) Even though I am making my own chapter, what if I wanted to use (for example) Marneus as my HQ choice but don't have his model. Can I use a different model and just give him Marneus' stats and gear (I would obviously tell my opponent beforehand)

3) If I do buy some figurines online and they are already painted say blue, will I be able to paint over them in red? I want to get models cheap but don't know if I can paint over pre-painted models.

4) I really like how some black templar and dark angels models have robes. If I want to have some of my army use these robes do I have to buy black templar/dark angel models or do they sell them as individual pieces?

5) I don't have a gamesworkshop anywhere near me. What are good ways of finding people to play with at gamestores?

See you around the foums!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Hey there everyone. I was introduced into 40k by my friends who played tau and grey knights a couple of years ago. I have always loved the lore and might want to get into war gaming, although I admit I was always put off by it because of the amount of rules. If you don't mind I do have a couple of beginner questions that I suppose I could ask here. Keep in mind I am new to forums so I hope I don't post things in the wrong section.

I have always thought Chaos would be a fun army to use but I also really like Space Marines, even though they are the most popular. My friend (who played tau) said that chaos might be difficult for a newbie and he suggested I play as SM and I think I will.

1) Although the Black Templars are my favorite Chapter, I think I am going to paint a custom army. Now some armies like the dark angels don't strictly follow just two colors and that's it. Some units have certain paintings while others have different colors. If I paint my army with different colors is that okay to do? I know there aren't "rules" on it but is it frowned upon?

2) Even though I am making my own chapter, what if I wanted to use (for example) Marneus as my HQ choice but don't have his model. Can I use a different model and just give him Marneus' stats and gear (I would obviously tell my opponent beforehand)

3) If I do buy some figurines online and they are already painted say blue, will I be able to paint over them in red? I want to get models cheap but don't know if I can paint over pre-painted models.

4) I really like how some black templar and dark angels models have robes. If I want to have some of my army use these robes do I have to buy black templar/dark angel models or do they sell them as individual pieces?

5) I don't have a gamesworkshop anywhere near me. What are good ways of finding people to play with at gamestores?

See you around the foums!
You can't tease a fat man with pancakes like that and then there are none here that is just wrong. :threaten: Anyway welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your time here. Ok now to the questions for the pancakes.

1) It is your army you can paint it any way you want it. As long as you tell opponent this squad is assault and this one is tactical and so on you will be fine. You can have black templars or dark angels and color and just use their codex and rules.

2) Yes just give him the proper gear and tell your opponent and you are good.

3) You can but it is usually best to strip the old paint off the models first. You can soak them in Simple Green over night or Brake fluid then run under warm water and scrub with old toothbrush should remove most of the paint while leaving the model undamaged. Then just prime and paint whatever color you want.

4) Many ebay bitz sellers will sell the robed bodies separate. Sometime people on here will sell them to you as well. Ebay is the best bet though but placing an ad in the trading section might get someone to sell some to you. I think I might have a few laying around my bitz box doing nothing I would probably get rid of.

5) You can check out the section on here for meet ups and finding stores. Probably the best way I have found is Facebook. Look up local game stores and subscribe to their facebook page. people always post that they are looking for a xyz point 40K game and a time or you can post an ad saying your looking for a game.

Anyway hope this helps and look forward to seeing your army getting built. Show it off in the modeling section.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Welcome to Heresy!

Just to add a bit to morfang's knowledge and wisdom,

4) Many ebay bitz sellers will sell the robed bodies separate. Sometime people on here will sell them to you as well. Ebay is the best bet though but placing an ad in the trading section might get someone to sell some to you. I think I might have a few laying around my bitz box doing nothing I would probably get rid of.
While there are bits retailers that sell individual pieces like this, it can quickly become far more expensive depending on the scope of the project compared to buying the DA boxes and trading off/selling/practicing modeling ideas on the stuff that clashes with your own Chapter's iconography. As a Blood Angel player I've turned a few winged swords into winged blood drops with some fairly simple knife and 'green stuff' work, as you develop your own Chapter you may be able to appropriate some of the stuff you otherwise might have thought useless. GW is pretty good at getting pictures of all the sprues up on their site for your viewing pleasure to see how much bang for your buck their kits offer (though I typically buy from a LGS or online to save some dollas).

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard mate :good:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts