Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, im just looking for a bit of advice on painting skin, at the moment im rather bad at it, all i do is paint it with tallarn flesh and then cover it in devaln mud (god i love that wash, it shades anything!) :laugh: but i must admit it looks rather dull :( any advice or step by steps would be much appreciated :victory:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I paint faces using a fairly simple method, but it ends up looking quite good.

First, lay down a basecoat of Dark Flesh, remember to make sure you're thinning your paint down.

Then paint all but the deepest recesses and the eye sockets with Dwarf Flesh.

After this, you can go one of two ways. Either extreme highlight with Elf Flesh, or paint the raised areas Elf Flesh and highlight very carefully with Bleached Bone.

If you find either of these are too light, wash lightly with slightly thinned Gryphonne Sepia (EDIT: Or Ogryn Flesh, thanks for the reminder fynn).

If you want a slightly better look, just mix the paints gradually and work up to either Elf Flesh, Bleached Bone/Elf Flesh or Bleached Bone.

The key is to experiment with colours and see what looks good, don't take my word as rote.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
I'll be painting human flesh again soon as was planning on doing a base coat of either white and just follow up with some sepia and maybe devlin mud washes until the tone is right or going BWALAF93's way a bit and using actual fleshy paints and like he said watering them down a bit.

My Kroot's flesh started with a white base coat, then a heavy wash of Sepia, then a wash of devlin mud that gives them a nice muddled look, something that would blend well in a forested area.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
theres a lot of different methods used to paint flesh, from the blending and highlighting method, through to my method:
Base coat of of dark or tallarn flesh (depending on modle)
ogryn flesh wash
light dry brush on raised areas with dwarf or elf flesh (depending on base colour)
then a thin wash of devlin mud.
basicly try diferent methods till you find one you like and works for you

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thanks guys, i'll be trying out these methods and post pics if i can ever kick my camera into life :laugh:

much appreciated :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.