Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Painting Skills

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Silens 
I have found that my painting has improved no end since I started looking at tutorials all over the internet and in books, when you say thespace marine painting book I assume you mean the old one pre 145 paints? Try getting the new How to paint miniatures book too, I would consider myself a reasonably good painter but the guides in there are really useful for simple schemes that are really quick (I use the TK one all the time now I love it). There is also youtube which will have some great paint guides where you can actually see how people achieve certain effects like OSL and weathering. The GW videos are incredibly good too. I perosnally always search online how to paint a model before I do it, not necessarily thatI may copy the scheme but so 1. I can see how people structure the scheme (order of doing colours styles etc.) 2. so I can use certain elements for colours I haven't painted before e.g. hazard stripes on a model or certain flesh.

The easiest way to learn is base, wash, highlight extreme highlight. that will give you varied lighting on our surfaces and the more you do it the better you willl get. AS for coming up with your own schemes I eventually have been able to get to the point where I can sort of visualise in my head what I want a model to look like, but as Mentioned above I look all over the internet for alternate schemes. Flickr and forums are always the best place for these. If you see something that you can use ask how they did or tips for acheiving similar results, at the end of the day the worst they will do is not reply, which leaves you no worse off and you have seen good inspirations for you next project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.