Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Painting Skills

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Silens 
In regards to stripping paint off of models, I've had terrible experience with dettol. I ended up with disgusting, smelly sludge all over my miniatures!

Propanol though? Works super fast (like a few minutes), evaporates at a low temperature and is CHEAP. Like. £15 for 5L on eBay. I've heard IPA is the 'active ingredient' in dettol and simple green when it comes to paint stripping anyway. :D

It depends on what you're painting, but most people will only paint the models they plan to put on the table. If you've got spare models/cash lying it round, you may find it worth your while to try some techniques out on one of those before putting them up on your real army, but certain techniques will improve over time and you may never get good at something until you've painstakingly spent that last 5 nights bent over a table and done it. That extra £5 box of 3 Space Marines just isn't going to cut it!

If you're up for possibly fielding some models which look a bit crap (You wouldn't look out of place in most Games Workshops!) then just paint how you please on them. Push your limits! Wet blending? Sure you've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. ;) Never gonna learn if you never try.

I disagree very strongly with Squire. If you're bad at Space Marine eyes, leaving them black is only going to leave you still bad at painting space marine eyes. So paint them badly! In the words of a little yellow cartoon dog:

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."

So paint your miniatures badly, because it's all practice. I'd much prefer to fight an army of poorly painted miniatures than to go up against grey plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.