Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I've recently primed a baneblade that I purchased for an apoc game and I was wondering how someone would go about painting such a large model with a brush?. I've never had any luck when painting vehicles as I get brush strokes and it just turns into one hell of a mess.

If anyone could give me any tips it would be much appreciated.:grin:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Thinned paint is your best bet. Many thing coats > one thick coat. It's possible, but a royal pain to get it to look right honestly. If you go down that road make sure to layer each layer in different directions to help prevent texture from arising.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If your painting a large model in one color, then it's going to be harder to not get brush strokes. But if your doing a camo scheme (for example) then it's going to be easier because everything is broken up by the changing of colors. Especially if your taping or have a pattern to put down. That's just what I've found from my own trials. Also, I agree with Zion. Thin coats are the best bet.
Since your thinking of jumping to an airbrush, you really don't have to worry about brush strokes (obviously). IMO, an airbrush is the best thing for large models and you will see the difference in quality and time saved.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
@Nacho libre: Choosing a color scheme is pretty important.

Oh, and before I forget: priming will still be important or else the paint will want to rub off. Just a little heads up. I hadn't primed the Wyches I did (I mosty did them to see if I could skip that step in the future, plus I had paint left still) and it's not peeling off or anything but it comes off pretty easy if handled too much. Clear Matte spray will help too of course, but priming will make life simpler overall.

IMO, an airbrush is the best thing for large models and you will see the difference in quality and time saved.
From my limited use of one today: agreed. I was amazed how much I got done today, and base coating really saves a lot of time. The better I get with it the more I can do too, so I look forward to being able to do a lot more in the way of painting models with it in the future.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
As well as thinning your paints, using a flat headed brush like the GW large drybrush would spread your paint out more. If you are using a brush it is important to be very patient and do several coats.

ALso on vehicles, especially IG camo vehicles, a light drybrush I think always looks nice to catch all the rivets and highlight it.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
its just as easy to fuck up an expensive model with an air brush as it is with a normal brush, maybe even easier to be honest, airbrushes are a great tool, but a better finish is not guaranteed simply by having one, if your gonna buy one, you should be ready to flash the cash, and do some serious research,there are plenty of "bargains" online, but you really do get what you pay for, dont forget they are fragile things and spare parts might not seem important now, but when you are looking at a bent needle and a fucked up paint job paying the extra cash for a branded air brush will be a good idea.

personally i would go with a large tank brush, thin your paints and do several brushed on coats, or consider picking up an acrylic spray paint in a can that matches your colour scheme( shouldnt be too difficult).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
any suggestions for a good airbrush ?
I have a Master G444 which I've been playing around with and rather like. It's a dual action, gravity feed so it's a bit tricky to get used to (I played around with mine using just water until I had a good feeling for how to use it and how I wanted things on it set) but it does the job nicely.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
its just as easy to fuck up an expensive model with an air brush as it is with a normal brush...

....personally i would go with a large tank brush, thin your paints and do several brushed on coats, or consider picking up an acrylic spray paint in a can that matches your colour scheme( shouldnt be too difficult).
+1 to both those points. Unless you know what you are doing with an airbrush you'll just fuck it up.

My advice:

Prime with a spray can of black or white depending on your color scheme
Basecoat with thinned down mixs of your main colors a couple of times
Drybrush
Wash
Weather any parts you don't think look up to scratch.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
You can also try a large artist's brush. I used to have time and space to paint oil on canvas and I had a bunch of wide flat brushes hanging around. As it turns out some of them ars handy for large base coating jobs.

So you could try a 1/2" or 3/4" brush with soft bristles. It can help with the coverage but all the same rules listed above apply.

That means:
- clean the model of flash
- you may want to wash the plastic to ensure there is no molds release residue
- spray prime
- Thin your paints
- Multiple thin coats
- take your time
- give every coat drying time (i.e. don't rush it.)
- And no body is perfect

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
any suggestions for a good airbrush ?
I use a Badger Renegade Velocity. The Badger Renegade Krome is a VERY popular model. The difference between the two in functionality, if I remember correctly, is that the Velocity has a smaller paint cup and better suits the volumes of paints normally associated with painting miniatures whilst a Krome might be better suited to bike helmets, gaming consoles and stuff like that.

Iwata is another highly regarded brand as well.

Look up Lester Bursley's airbrush rant on YouTube to get some good info on this.

If people are getting into airbrushes, I must say that I do NOT recommend the Minitaire paint range from Badger. I use them because I bought them when I first started and I've still got the bottles lying around buy I've got some Vallejo paints which I much prefer. Most Minitaire paints are fine, but I don't find that they are amazingly consistent: The flat varnish is more like a satin or gloss coat and their brightest silver colour is completely useless from what I have experienced (WAAAY too thin - The people who I bought it from criticised me when I complained and explained that all airbrush paints are thin but at 15psi and quite a distance away from the model it was either barely get a coat of the stuff or cause spiders) on top of similar, though often lesser, problems with other colours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts