Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am painting my pulpit for The Fortress of Arrogance, I want a nice gold look but can’t figure out how to get it right. Since I spent 5 hours making the pulpit I don’t want to screw it up. I saw a nice “gold” on a heldrake and the guy said he just used Sycorax Bronze. So here is what I am thinking:

Sycoraz Bronze base
Agrax Earthshade wash
Auric Armour Gold detail
Golden Griffon edges

Thoughts? How do you do your golds?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Personally for mine (in old GW paints I am afraid), Shining gold, agrax earthsahde, Nuln oil in recesses, layer back up shining gold, highlight Burnished gold and Mithril Silver. There was quite a nice brassy/chaos looking gold in this weeks WD weekly so it may be worth having a look at that ( I think sycorax bronze was used in that).

I am looking at possibly trying out some of the Vallejo liquid metals as they seems to give really smooth realistic metallic colours, but I don't know if that would like right for your case

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I always start with a brown base coat, then burnished gold (or whatever it's called now), wash with sepia/brown ink, highlight again with burnished and then do extreme highlights with a 50/50 burnished to mithril silver mix.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Agreed, a silver extreme highlight on hard edges and corners can look good. I normally start with a bone base, gold layer, wash, layer, highlight, extreme highlight.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I also find that working red, purple and / or green inks into strategic recesses can make your gold really stand out too. Be bold with your highlighting, so it doesn"t look flat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts