Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm a little lost on how to paint my new chaos lord's eyes. i just failed once, sincehe had the O.O expression... do you have a tip on how to paint good eyes on human size faces?
cheers

p.s. possibly some show and tell with pics?? i really want his face to be good :p

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
obviously i did that. but there are lots of crappy tutorials and nothing really good. Either too classy or too shaggy. can you point me to a decent tutorial?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Eyes can be a nuisance. For me there's a point where they're so small that I just leave them as recesses the same colour as the other lines on a face, i.e. the base skin colour. It's not great but preferable to badly painted eyes. At least when the eyes are so tiny cheating by leaving them undone won't be noticed unless you looked really closely

For my termie lord I'm just going to use one of the helmets- it's much easier to do helmet eye lenses than real eyes. Is that not an option?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Paint the eye sockets black.
Paint the inside if the black section white, leaving just a little bit of black round the edges.
Paint the pupil/iris; these should reach both the top and bottom of the eyes. If you paint the pupils too small, they will look scared.

Looking at the real thing always helps. :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks silens, i tried this way and the result was...well, acceptable :D
When the model is done i'll upload a pic in my project section !

·
Registered
533 Posts
When the method above is difficult to pull off (the eye is tiny) I'll paint the socket black, paint the whole eye white horizontally, then paint two thirds of the white black (the same way but not extending as far witht the brush) and then paint one third of the eye white. Tidy up around the edges with black.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mmh squire this is actually easier to pull out. not on this model (too much paint layers already) but my next "well painted" guy will have a go at this method

·
Registered
580 Posts
Do you like the glow look?

I find if you base the face white, then use a wash or a glaze on the eyes they will look great. If you want regular eyes, wash over the white with a brown wash(sepia looks nice) being carefully around the center of the eyes. Use a tissue to pull the moisture off the eye, then dab with color of your choice.

Makes for some great eyes.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Do you like the glow look?

I find if you base the face white, then use a wash or a glaze on the eyes they will look great. If you want regular eyes, wash over the white with a brown wash(sepia looks nice) being carefully around the center of the eyes. Use a tissue to pull the moisture off the eye, then dab with color of your choice.

Makes for some great eyes.
do you have an example please?

·
Registered
580 Posts

Using an old WIP first a control pick showing original "base"

Next painted it white.

Added sepia wash while white was damp,,then used tissue.

Added my base glow color, then highlighted.

Note; for the eye when adding a dark wash if it gets to "busy" take a clean small but rinsed and whiped dry, brush and draw it across the eye in only one direction to pull the extra color off the eye(works for other bits also.).

Blending can be done after, but before the rest of the piece is painted, just using a mixed highlight with a yellow or white, lightly dry brush around the eye.

Biggest issue, I was rushing a bit. Between phases drying time helps..

I will redo when I have more time.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eh, nice!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Chaos Lord you say. You don't want to be doing any of that namby pamby white eyes with a black spot in the middle stuff. What you need are some daemonic eyes!

Start of with a base coat of Zamesi Desert.
Highlight with Flash Gitz Yellow.
Add a touch of Screaming Skull to the yellow if you want it a bit lighter.
Then give them a wash of Druchii Violet.

This will give your Lord scary piercing eyes with a unhealthy, been travelling around the void too long, look to him. Pupils aren't necessary.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chaos Lord you say. You don't want to be doing any of that namby pamby white eyes with a black spot in the middle stuff. What you need are some daemonic eyes!

Start of with a base coat of Zamesi Desert.
Highlight with Flash Gitz Yellow.
Add a touch of Screaming Skull to the yellow if you want it a bit lighter.
Then give them a wash of Druchii Violet.

This will give your Lord scary piercing eyes with a unhealthy, been travelling around the void too long, look to him. Pupils aren't necessary.
this is actually good!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just use a super fine tip brush and paint away. However....

I've seen my buddy, who is been painting for a couple of years... first coat white on the pupil. then any mishaps on the skin get corrected with whatever paint he used on it before.. then ive seen him get a toothpick, wet it, put a tiny bit of paint on the tip.. and press it on the pupil..

I tried it once and my character looked like he had a lazy eye... his characters didn't look half bad. lol

Ill stick to my brush...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts