Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
The cloaks on the Lord-Castellant and the Knight-Questor look great. You're really steaming through the units.
The star field on the cloak came out excellent!
Thank you kindly guys. :grin2:

My Stormcast are nearing completion. All that remains now are five Judicators, three Prosecutors, four Dracoth Fulminators and the Stardrake, which granted will take some time but I plan to try and finish the remaining troops by year's end and then focus on getting through the Dracoths before tackling the Stardrake.

Also Ghouls and Sylvaneth to paint, but they come second.

LotN

Discussion starter · #24 ·
It's taken a long time but my Prosecutors are finally all completed!

Really pleased with these guys, whom I consider to be my best work yet along with my Lord-Celestant. Feels good to finally be painting again, and with twelve days off from work I hope to get at leaat two more units completed in that time, aiming for four and maybe even six if I work hard enough. Next up will be some more Liberators and the first of my Extremis Chamber, two Dracothian Guard Concussors.

LotN

Your Celestial Vindicators are glorious to behold, Lord of the Night, I hope I can paint half as well as you when I start my Ironjawz and Thousand Sons:grin2:! I may have missed this before, but how did you create that epic galaxy cloak on your Lord Celestant? Also nice choice in color scheme, Celestial Vindicators are something I don't see too often, but their colors are very striking:smile2:.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Fantastic paint job as usual, but my eye keeps being drawn to the mold lines on their hammers, including what looks like the uncleaned injection points right in the middle of them. It's a shame that such a nice paint job should be marred for the sake of a 30 second cleanup job.
Thanks KF, and I know what you mean and I have tried to remove them with the clippers and files, but it doesn't work.

Your Celestial Vindicators are glorious to behold, Lord of the Night, I hope I can paint half as well as you when I start my Ironjawz and Thousand Sons:grin2:! I may have missed this before, but how did you create that epic galaxy cloak on your Lord Celestant? Also nice choice in color scheme, Celestial Vindicators are something I don't see too often, but their colors are very striking:smile2:.
Thank you Myen. Creating the starfield cloaks isn't tricky really, firstly a basecoat of Kantor Blue or Naggaroth Night depending on whether you want blue or purple to be the dominant colour. Once that's complete you make streak lines in random directions with the other colour, creating a night sky effect. Then get a new toothbrush, or just one you've never used for its intended purpose, and dip part of it in White Scar or Ceramite White, either way. Then, aiming the brush at the cloak, press your thumb against the bristles and push them down, then release and let the bristles sprinkle the white against the cloak to create the stars.

Then gloss varnish it for the shiny effect and you're finished. Hope that helps, and good luck with your Orruks and TSons, planning to get some of the latter myself later this year. :grin2:

LotN

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I find running the edge of a hobby knife gently along the line makes a better job of it than a file.
Gave what you suggested a try KF and here is the result on two Liberators.

LotN

Attachments

Looking good, mate! Loving the colour scheme, different from the "usual" one and the highlights on the armour plates are stunning!:grin2:

As for the injection points and flash, my method of cleaning is to first get the large bits of with a sharp knife, then use a dull knife to carefully scrape of everything that I can. If there are large flat areas with injection points, then I'll also use a modelling file to smooth the injection point, as those areas tend to show even after using the knife to scrape off the excess plastic. Moulding flash usually comes off by just using a dull knife edge on it. I have two knives just for this reason, with one of them being extremely sharp and the other one very dull :p

Have to say, I think I need to grab myself some of the Stormcasts, as the models are amazing:)

Discussion starter · #31 ·
More Celestial Vindicators Liberators are here, finished these guys within five days which is a new personal best for me! Included them with five Liberators from the starter set painted a good long time ago to make my first full squad of ten. The Starshields are ready!

LotN

Attachments

Looking good, Lord of the Night, the Starshields look like they're ready to pummel some face in>:)! Curious, so I broke down and bought the new Stormcast Battletome and read through it a couple of times. Are you going to roll with the Celestial Vindicators Warrior Chamber rules?

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Looking good, Lord of the Night, the Starshields look like they're ready to pummel some face in>:)! Curious, so I broke down and bought the new Stormcast Battletome and read through it a couple of times. Are you going to roll with the Celestial Vindicators Warrior Chamber rules?
I plan to yes, and yeah I know the CVs favour blades over hammers. But I assembled these guys months ago, and my other Libs two years ago when AoS came out so no going back now. I'm just going to have them count as armed with Warblades, only difference is a +1 To Hit and -1 To Wound, which without extra rules is purely cosmetic.

I just need to get a second squad of Retributor Paladins for the Hammerstrike Force, that way I can field two Retributors and a Protectors squad with the Prosecutors.

LotN

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Unit Complete!

Took a long time to finish the Knight-Venator, and putting it together was not without mishap. As I painted it I accidently broke the arrow and found that I couldn't fix it convincingly, so instead I adapted. Worked the figure's character backstory so that a broken arrow would make sense, and it's given the mini some character I feel. Very happy with how this one has turned out, especially the Star-Eagle. The white paint scheme was something that I was unsure of but it's turned out very nice, and of course the Vindicators scheme is just a delight to see finished every single time.

But now begins the greatest painting challenge I have ever faced. The Celestant-Prime!

Painting the Orrery of Fates is not going to be easy. A basecoat of Naggaroth Night to start with, then the real challenge begins. The colours involved in this will be Xereus Purple, Caledor Sky, Druchii Violet, Kabalite Green, Drakenhof Nightshade, Pink Horror, Thousand Sons Blue and Ceramite White, along with Gehenna's Gold and an undetermined colour for the astrolabes, while the buckles, hammers and lanterns adrift in the energy will be painted as I would on a regular figure.

(0:08 - 0:10)

LotN

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.