Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Started to paint up some Bloodletters today, and not had much luck.

Any advice?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey @Uveron like Nord I'll share my process and I'll give you some thoughts on the style your started with.

First, I just need to get a 3 year old in bed.

·
3,351 Posts
Okay, @Uveron here we go.

bloodletters_finished_2012-03-24_1000x659 by warped forge, on Flickr

So with mine, very generally:
  • I based black
  • Did several thin layers of scorched brown and bestial brown (or their modern equivalents)
  • Then layered up several reds thinly
  • Did a red ink
  • Re-highlighted with bright red
  • Picked out the little nubbins/warts with orange
  • I repainted the hands black and highlighted with gray
  • And blended up the back crest with the colors of flame

So, for your test scheme Bloodletter I need to ask what are you going for? One of the style from the Daemonkin book, or are you going for a traditional red and bloody look?

For now, I'll assume based on the ink on there, you're going traditional. I think right now he's still way too brown and doesn't have enough contrast. At this point I'd treat the look you have now as an undercoat. I'd add another ink to darken it and make it more red, I'm thinking nuln oil with a little red in it which should also make it more opaque and kill some of the current glossy finish. Then I'd layer up with several successive reds, do a minimal red ink, then highlight again with bright red, and pick out the details.

When I say "layer up" I mean wet-dry-brush, or use a larger brush get the brush wet and wipe much of the paint off while keeping the paint thin and still wet, then using dry brushing like strokes to blend up the color.

I actually took all the photos to make a tutorial for my Blood letter project, some of the photos are less in focus than I'd like so I never posted it. If it'll help though I can get it posted up for you.

My recollection about the Bloodletters is that there were 2 really obnoxious parts of them as a project one was clean up. Mold lines and seams were just awful and I had to trim and putty the heck out of them to ensure they weren't lousy with mold lines. The other was ensuring there was enough contrast on the models to keep them interesting to look at. Without the normal armor plates we get on most warhammer miniatures where there are lots of places for natural shadows, the naked and organic forms of the Bloodletters made that a lot more difficult. My solution was to paint the fiery back crest, the dark/burnt blend on the hands, and the dark blend up the horns. I also kept the teeth and talons a bright bone to add to the contrast.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK

Thanks for the advice! Not 100% sure what I was after, I think that using a red wash may be the way forward!

I used the Khorne red, and then used Ogre flesh, and then dry brushed with a light red and then an Orange and Yellow... and then hit it up the blood for the blood god after a Eathshade wash.

I think I need to skip the Earth shade wash, on the rest of the squad. And may be get a pink for the highlights along with the yellow.

I also have no idea what happen to the blade, I had painted it in a Yellow to red to black transition and it somehow became metallic! I think I need to restart that with some yellow.

I wanted Red-Bloody looking, with hints of fire...

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well following the advice (and some guidence from pepole who could see the test guy 'in real life')

This is the first part of the squad. (Needs some blood splater but otherwise)

·
3,351 Posts
Hey, man they're turning out pretty well!

My overall impression is that there still isn't quite enough contrast going on, but it's also possible that the photos are washing out the color. If the pictures aren't washing out the color I think it would be worth while to add another highlight on the back spines with a yellow-orange and another highlight of bright red on the faces.

With the scheme you've chosen, I'm not sure where to suggest adding depth or shadows at this point. I think the darker wash on the fingers and toes is working for you.

Oh, the other thing I did with mine was I painted the tongues a purple and used blue or purple ink on them. The tongues aren't really clear in my photo though, but I think having a cooler color adds some nice color temperature contrast.

·
3,351 Posts
Hey, man they're turning out pretty well!

My overall impression is that there still isn't quite enough contrast going on, but it's also possible that the photos are washing out the color. If the pictures aren't washing out the color I think it would be worth while to add another highlight on the back spines with a yellow-orange and another highlight of bright red on the faces.

With the scheme you've chosen, I'm not sure where to suggest adding depth or shadows at this point. I think the darker wash on the fingers and toes is working for you.

Oh, the other thing I did with mine was I painted the tongues a purple and used blue or purple ink on them. The tongues aren't really clear in my photo though, but I think having a cooler color adds some nice color temperature contrast.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My post didn't post. :cray:

My guide to painting bloodletters:

1. Paint black.

2. "Drybrush" a neutral grey quite heavily mostly from above (most strokes going in a downward direction). The miniature should be mostly grey now with black in the crevaces. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK UNTIDY

3. Light drybrush of white mostly from above.

4. Airbrush transparent red. Not sure how this would come out with a flat red, but one of the Minitaire Ghost Tints should do fine. An alternative might be to brush on Citadel Technical 'Blood for the Blood God' but I don't know if this would work. No harm in trying, eh'?

5. Paint everything else as normal.

·
3,351 Posts
Hmm, I think if I can find the time I should finally post my tutorial. It would be a perfect place for these different techniques to be discussed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts