Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy that works at a Chimera Hobby Shop in my city, and he introduced to me this Spray paint. My base color for my army is Mephiston Red, so Citadel made this Mephiston Red spray paint.

My issue is that it maybe faster as a thought but, I shook the can like you always do and once I sprayed a model is was a very water-ish mephiston red. Out of like 10, 2 of 3 of them was this solid Red, which made me happy cause I wouldn't have to add coats of red by hand (I water down my paints).
Now it's getting to me that this $20 can, can only paint about 2 maybe 3 squads max. I continually have to add several coats, which in my head is a terrible idea but what else am I going to do besides paint them by hand. I even shake the can really good for maybe 20 min due to frustration and it still turns out the same.

I've tried using the spray against un-primed and primed models and the first 3 models I've tried turned out the same, with the solid red.

So I don't know if the actually product is terrible or maybe it's something else maybe the primer, I use just your regular $10 Black Primer, I think it's from Armory.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I havent had a problem until using the new zandri dust spray. Went on ok but when i washed the model parts went white! Like the paint had disolved! I havd found that if it is too cold or humid it can affect thd quality of the spray paint.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The only coloured spray I have seen in use is the Fang and that seemed to work fine. I personally don't use the coloured spray myself as i end up using an excess to get everything covered, instead I use my airbsuh and do each model by itself to make sure its coverd, its faster than normal brushing and it just uses normal £2.45 paints and I can get several units done with a pot

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
GW sprays have always seemed a bit shit, at least to me. If I were you I would look at getting a can of Army Painter spray paint and go to town. Better product and and you'll save $3.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I use the alien purple spray and it's amazing. Cheaper and a better look.
Same with my Uniform Grey. Honestly, I've never heard a bad thing said about Army Painter's product line, and especially not their sprays.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I haven't used GW sprays in years and years. When last I used them, they were decent but far too expensive. So I have two thoughts for this thread.

1) Find a decent generic brand of spray. I've had good experiences with the cheap brands at Home Depot or even the brand name ones like Krylon.
2) Spray paints definitely have optimal environmental ranges for use. Too hot, too cold, or too humid can cause problems. The biggest issue I had was using a clear spray coat to protect my models, despite vigorous shaking it was apparently just a bit too humid and the spray went on with some cloudy and white areas.

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
Army Painter are very good, I would recommend them, however you do have to give the can a very vigorous shake, and in my experience does not work well in the cold. The spray however goes on great, and you get a lot out of it

·
Registered
633 Posts
Same with my Uniform Grey. Honestly, I've never heard a bad thing said about Army Painter's product line, and especially not their sprays.
I've had some issues with using their spray, used Uniform Grey. I kept getting this sandy texture to every model I sprayed with it. Now, it may have been to hot and humid for the paint when I tried it last, (still have the can haven't used it since.) Are Army Painter cans more sensitive to temperature than the GW? I've never had an issue with their Chaos Black and their Fang sprays even on hot and humid days.
The cheap generic spays are a bit hit and miss for me. But when I find one that works, hot damn, squads get primed on the cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts