Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told time after time after time, that if your unit arrives from reserves or outflank, and the table edge they have to arrive from is completely blocked by the enemy, the unit is insta killed.

I can't find the rule that says this.

(I do understand that if the game ends and your units cannot or have not arrived they count as dead.)

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
That is a house rule, what actually happens is the game stops in a rules vortex. You must move on, but you cannot move on. There is no rule to cover this. Most people handle it in two ways, the unit is destroyed or the unit goes back into reserve.

Aramoro

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Most people handle it in two ways, the unit is destroyed or the unit goes back into reserve.
It makes more sense for the unit to remain in reserve. I mean with all the technology they supposedly have, how hard is it to go...oh wait...there are people there..we'll just wait a sec or two.

Though GW probably need to FAQ that. I'd be interested what a GW employee would say about it if asked.

Grish

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You would think you're futuristic army would be able judge when to appear but then again you're elite force of outflankers turn up at a random time in a random place so I wouldn't put anything past them.

Aramoro

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I hate the need for that rule- blocking a table edge should be cheating: any form of realism would have the reserve unit shoot/assault the unit blocking the table edge... but because its a game it works. Anyone who uses it as a tactic should be shunned by society in general :p

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It's the worst for Nids, since they don't have anything capable of just Tank Shocking through such a line.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
You can't find it because there is no such rule.

The reserves MUST come on, but can't.

It's one of those game breaking things GW in their infinite wisdom forgot to think about.
They don't use playtesters who try to break the game.
They use their writers to playtest it. If the writers have never thought to do these things, then they assume NO-ONE will.

If the game ends and they are still not on table, then they are destroyed, though (rules do cover this bit).

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
It's one of those game breaking things GW in their infinite wisdom forgot to think about.
They don't use playtesters who try to break the game.
They use their writers to playtest it. If the writers have never thought to do these things, then they assume NO-ONE will.
In short GW aren't complete arsehats?

Such a tactic is a pain if you have no units which can outflank, if the only reserves you have, can only come in on your edge (presuming the tactic usually uses Infiltrators to block of your Deployment edge?) then you can do nothing, if you luckily you have Infiltrators or Scouts you put in Reserves, then you can use them, though usually these are elitest units and are small and tough or weaker and larger troop choices (Kroot) and they can't be trusted on to carry your game.

It really is a gimic tactic and the label "ARSEHAT" should be given to those who use it.

Grish.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
I'd be interested what a GW employee would say about it if asked.
When I raised it I was told that when the rules are unclear and you cannot agree you roll a die between the two most likely options, which would be:

1-3 The unit is placed on the table as if it had moved on from the edge
4-6 The unit is destroyed as with daemons that cannot come on from reserves

I make no representation that these are the two most likely options; they are just what one person told me.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
The only 2 options Ive ever heard of being played are 1- unit is destroyed, or 2- unit is placed back in reserve... and if in reserve at the end of the game its destroyed.
Means if you place everything in reserve then you'll need either jump infantry or tanks to breach a wall of blocking infantry.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
The third option comes from an - arguably wrong - interpretation of the rule about not placing the unit on the table before it has moved on from reserve. Specifically: you cannot move your units within 1" of the enemy, however, as you measure the move from the edge of the table them place the unit, the unit is at no point within 1" of the enemy.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
However the unit is required to come in from the table edge ... that is where the issue lays. It can not get past the unit lining the edge of the board as it will be within one inch of it as it goes past.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I would have just added an extra errata if I were GW- any unit unable to enter from a table edge because its way is entirely blocked by an enemy unit must make an assault move onto the table instead (the enemy unit moves 1" back to allow the attacks onto the board).

3 Lines of text to solve a big issue... and after that we can forget about it since no-one would bother to try to block entire board edges (unless you are playing Tau :p)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts