Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are now a number of weapons whose stats are not constant in the 0-12 range, whether it's Tau pulse blasters or hot shot lasguns, or whatever (for that matter a melta gun being charged by a walker). You resolve overwatch before the assaulting squad moves, but the rules explicitly say if your weapon doesn't have enough range (inferno pistol, I'm looking at you!) you're assumed to be able to shoot even if the assault fails (and the enemy unit doesn't actually move) on the basis that they tried but were driven away by your shooting. Whether you resolve at the range the enemy starts at (or maximum range for the weapon if they're beyond it) or "optimum" range can make a huge difference as it can get you an extra shot (hotshot lasguns), the melta effect, or increased AP with the new tau weapons. GW has been extremely lax about FAQs this edition (unless they've done an update I hadn't heard about?) and I've never been able to find a good answer to this (and as both I and my usual enemy are lawyers in real life, this is an argument that is eventually going to happen - it's been avoided to date, but I'm going to be using storm troopers soon and the 9"/18" rapid fire is going to matter).

So what do you think: actual/maximum range or optimum range?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sadly no rules quote cuz I'm away from book, but I'm pretty sure that you're assumed to be at the most potent range for Overwatch possible. Ie, you alway get to rapid fire, shoot using your minimum range characteristic, shoot template weapons (though these have a specific rule). I guess because it's snap shots that balances it out?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Good question. As @ntaw says, I haven't seen a rule for this specifically, however I've seen it played both ways, Ntaw's way in my meta and based on charge distance by MWG.

I suggest that you either negotiate an agreement with regular opponents or dice it off at the start of the game for pickups.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
From memory the rules say that weapons mainly anything that can overwatch fires to its maximum such as rapid firing and even short range weapons such as the 6" infurno all fire. From memory this is derived from the wall of death rulings where even weapons such as flamers still fire the idea is that units move into range of the weapons and are driven back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rules state that Overwatch is resolved like a normal shooting attack in matters of range, line of sight, cover saves and so on (except that it is made as snapshots during enemy Assault phase and cannot induce morale or pinning checks). It is resolved after the charge decalaration, but before determining if the assaulting unit may move or not (charge range).

The "Wall of Death" is a special rule for Template weapons only.

Therefore, it's not a matter of maximum or optimum range, but of the actual distance between the two units. That may seem weird (as assaulted unit could wait for enemies being closer to shoot at them), but not weirder as being shot by overwatch even if the charge range roll prevents units from moving afterwards.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Rules state that Overwatch is resolved like a normal shooting attack in matters of range, line of sight, cover saves and so on (except that it is made as snapshots during enemy Assault phase and cannot induce morale or pinning checks). It is resolved after the charge decalaration, but before determining if the assaulting unit may move or not (charge range).

The "Wall of Death" is a special rule for Template weapons only.

Therefore, it's not a matter of maximum or optimum range, but of the actual distance between the two units. That may seem weird (as assaulted unit could wait for enemies being closer to shoot at them), but not weirder as being shot by overwatch even if the charge range roll prevents units from moving afterwards.
exatcly. in my group we always measure model by model to make overwatch

·
Registered
117 Posts
(...)but the rules explicitly say if your weapon doesn't have enough range (inferno pistol, I'm looking at you!) you're assumed to be able to shoot even if the assault fails (and the enemy unit doesn't actually move) on the basis that they tried but were driven away by your shooting.(...)
Where is this explicitely stated (except for template weapons with the "Wall of Death" rule) ?

I have parsed them, in case I forgot about something, but couldn't find such a statement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where is this explicitely stated (except for template weapons with the "Wall of Death" rule) ?

I have parsed them, in case I forgot about something, but couldn't find such a statement.
Quoting the quote, good times.

This does ring a bell, although I couldn't find it myself either.

Perhaps confused with the Rapid fire/Salvo rule that allows shots to travel up to the full range of the weapon i.e two shots (rapid) fired at model within rapid fire range of 12", model dies to first shot, second shot allowed to travel up to 24", at which point the shot is discarded as out of range.

Effectively the opposite rule to the above, I guess.

Does seem like an odd rule, given Wall of Death is there to stop you being punished for toting short range weaponry (and who doesn't like FIRE!), but conversely I guess that's the advantage of units with 3D6 charge ranges.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had some memory of there being rule that if your weapon had a shorter range than the enemy's location when they charged, you still got to shoot, but upon reading the 7E rulebook again I'm not finding it and it may have been a 6E rule that wasn't kept on - except for the reference in wall of death to failed charges etc.. Something for Tau Breach teams to remember, and another reason to sneer at blaster pistols and inferno pistols.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts