Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Is the audience of warhammer 40k becoming more or less grimdark?

• more

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • less

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • same

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I am a 40k optimist. I believe a happy ending is possible, I want the Emperor to be revived, and then I want the Imperium, Tau, & Eldar to form an alliance and fight the "evil" forces.

There is some hope that the new 40k mmo will be like this at least somewhat. But I think one key determaning factor is GW's audience: Is it becomming MORE or LESS approving of the usual grimdark nature?

UPDATE: PLEASE don't comment on whether or not my ideal situation is realistic or whether the Imperium is evil or not. Just answer the stupid question....

·
Registered
475 Posts
The chaos gods will devour the heart of the emporer and conquer the universe!
more dark for sure... unless you play tau.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Love grimdark, absolutely love it. From GW through to films like bladerunner (dir. cut obviously) brazil, apocalypse now and suchlike.

I can't stand bloody scrubs!!! :angry:

Grimdark's never had a massive audience though, so if GW products like the mmo are going to hit it off big, they'll have to lighten the mood, at least a little i guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with king gary, light has always been more attractive to others imho, but frankly i would love to see a wonderful environment that is grim dark, just the undercities full of rain, thunder, scum, etc. now for outside the city, i cant stand happy green sunlight. i need plains of wheat, with a red skybox. thats my wh40k environment summed up. but knowing all promising video games, they will manage to screw it up somehow, be it the environment or the mechanics.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually WANT it to be less grimdark.

And you aren't answering the question.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Grimdark is awesome. It should be far more grimdark than it is now. Oh and get rid of the bloody Tau, this whole 'greater good' happy, young race of idiots is getting really annoying.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Grimdark is awesome. It should be far more grimdark than it is now. Oh and get rid of the bloody Tau, this whole 'greater good' happy, young race of idiots is getting really annoying.
I agree with all but the tau.
I dont mind there out look on things

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
I think the audience is becoming more approving of the grimdark nature of things but that is never what people focus on when talking about 40k imo. People talk about their favorite stories, favorite chapter, characters, etc. No offense but the only person I've ever seen in these forums bring up the abysmal nature of the 40k universe is you platypus. I think the rest of us just kind of accept it as a fact and move on, not caring one way or the other. Why not talk about your favorite characters or something because I would agree that there ARE shining beacons of light in this grimdark place. Logan the chapter master of the space wolves comes to mind most often. On a smaller scale I would be more accepting of opinions that people enjoy the brighter side of the spectrum.

I for one see things as they ARE and not how they WILL BE. As is, things ARE grim and until GW decides to change it otherwise, I don't see the point of speculating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
even if the emperor comes back it will make the imperium less doomed but still trillions of tyranid big space in..space where demons live on hundreds of planets trillions of orks emperor cant stop it all after 5 days hed probably be back in the chair saying:well i tried
but seriously if warhammer had a planned happy ending id of quit

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sort of.

Most of the players I know have the opinion that their army is going to slaughter everything else. Not sure what that qualifies as. A lot of others dont really care for much fluff, its little army men and army women and big bugs playing war with dice and that's all it is for them.

My personal view on my 40k chapter is the same as it is in irl: Aim for the stars but be prepared to land face first in a cow pie at the bottom of a ravine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The universe is getting more grimdark but I think i's setting it self up for a brighter outlook at one point or another.

I could see in about 2 editions the Tau expanded to the point it becomes a considerable threat to the imperium, which has been weakened and reduced by the constant nid and chaos attacks. The etherals are revealed as being the evil beings they are, and the necrons still ravage the galaxy every now and again.

The Emperor Awakens but finds his empire is being controled by the High Lords of Terra who, using the imperium's propagada convince the imperium at large that he is a pretender. The flee Terra and blockade it with their fleet, leaving the emperor on Terra with nothing but the Castodes. Choas advancing, the imperium folding in on itself and the only "good guys" in the whole universe are evil, I'd call that Grimdark :biggrin:

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's an interesting scenario. If the Emperor is up then theoretically we find out whose side Cypher is really on and the Lion will reawaken and unite the Dark Angels who are nearly a legion even still. Greatest tactician ever known to man with a legion of astartes is pissed because some numbskull lord decided to blockade his daddy on Terra. THAT is interesting. The imperium would really collapse on itself then, 700 Deathwing Terminators tearing everything up and ripping through anything the custodes hadn't killed already... I'd pay to see the Lion make mincemeat of Calgar though.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
40k these days IS less grimdark, now its just "WTF thats just silly", 40k has gone from being a dark age of man into a badly written comedy with dodgy characters, empty races devoid of any life and boring fluff usually involving someone losing a battle and getting saved by smurfs.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
In some sort of cataclysmal event I actually agree with Stella. The Rouge Trader ear wasn't that grim dark, the 2nd Ed was massively grim dark. Now it's kind of Grim Dark Lite. All the flavour of regular Grim Dark without any of the substance.

IT was a fairly balanced fluff in 2nd ed with people winning and losing. But now it's all <insert force> destroys all in it's path and everyone is more uber than can possibly be imagined. Hence Nids are going to devour the galaxy, Necrons are unstoppable and going to murder the galaxy, Orks are going to overrun the Galaxy, Space Wolfs can destroy any invader and be home in time for tea and tiffin, etc etc.

Aramoro

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
40K has not changed for me and really should never change for anyone, 40k is mine, the rules and armys may change for the sake of the game play and marketing of models, but in essence 40k is still Rogue Trader for me, it just has more bells and whistles on.

I dont want a happy ending, 40k is not about "end" there is no end, the story does not evolve, its a constant stalemate its a stagnant un-win able war, none of the armies involved currently are "good guys" and to give any of them the good or evil tag really shows a lack of understanding of the nature of the game, all of the armies are involved in the conflict for a reason and depending on your point of view, decides if the reason is right or wrong or with good or evil intentions.

The thing that i think has changed the most is not so much less or more dark,but the fluff has become just another level of marketing, huge portions of the rule book and codex are given to the fluff which is fine if your a new player, but i have to admit i have read and reread the back ground for so many armies over the years im begining to wish they would do two versions of the codex, an all singing and dancing version for the "new player" and a "veterans" codex with rules and army list.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
343 Posts
In some sort of cataclysmal event I actually agree with Stella. The Rouge Trader ear wasn't that grim dark, the 2nd Ed was massively grim dark. Now it's kind of Grim Dark Lite. All the flavour of regular Grim Dark without any of the substance.

IT was a fairly balanced fluff in 2nd ed with people winning and losing. But now it's all <insert force> destroys all in it's path and everyone is more uber than can possibly be imagined. Hence Nids are going to devour the galaxy, Necrons are unstoppable and going to murder the galaxy, Orks are going to overrun the Galaxy, Space Wolfs can destroy any invader and be home in time for tea and tiffin, etc etc.

Aramoro
Come on now, it's not quite Magic The Gathering. Yet. It's more propaganda written into the codecies that gets the pre battle smack-talk going, which is never a bad thing. Though i'd have to agree with your first statement, it's not as dark as it used to be...

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Its the retconning which becomes ridiculous. Chaos are an timeless force of evil existing the warp, the ultimate bad guys.... Well apart from Necrons, they're the real bad guys who are even older and even more powerful than Chaos and the greatest threat to humanity....Excepting obviously Tyrinids.... etc etc etc.

Even small things, Dante is the oldest living Space Marine....well except that guy...oh and that guy of course....oh yeah and him over there. Apart from them he's the oldest living Space Marine....oh yeah except Lysander....

Aramoro

·
Registered
343 Posts
Fair point, that is annoying. Is the number of 40k races anywhere near Fantasy levels yet? Once that happens, it can all start to settle down i guess. The (big) one that pops to mind as missing is Ogre kingdoms, there may be more though

1 - 20 of 37 Posts