Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically i play orks and nids alot and its impossible to stop them all from getting to my lines (sad face)

is it worth giving a ig sarge a power weapon or powerfist?

if not, is there any situation where a sergent's power weapon or powerfist could be of use?

powerfist in a vet squad with 3 meltas? possably?

ty for any and all help :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
if its against orks and nids I woundn't bother, your'd be paying 10 points to put a power weapon on a sergeant (or 15 for a fist in a veteran squad) to ignore a 5 or 6 up save. you'd be better off with more guns.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
More guns, less knives, thats what I am saying when the case is the Imperial Guard, no upgrades needed...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alrite, cool, thanks guys

so a no no on pw and pf

how about a bolt pistol/ plasma pistol?

boltpistol seems too little of a difference to really count, tho a plasma pistol could earn its points back quite quickly :p

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I would say no, cause thats like a few Guardsmen or a pistol, and I would chose the Guardsmen... And then it overheats in your hand... Boom! Las-pistol excists for that reason only...

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I would say no to plasma pistol, LD is a big need for guard, don't want a SGT dying just because he buggered up.

maybe to a power weapon, if I had points spare (easy for guard) and I knew power armoured assaults was involved, I'd think about it quite seriously, the chance of getting a VERY lucky hit and killing 1 or 2 marines before being slaughtered is nice.

same with power fists really

bolt pistols, well why not, again if you have the points to spare (again very easy with guard) then you may as well I suppose, the extra str and AP may be useful from time to time.

shame you can't just give the SGT's a damn lasgun

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Any upgrades should be bought after all the Guns (Special weapon slots, etc) have been filled throughout the entire list first..then you're free to get 'extra' wargear, but take a good hard look at the entire list first to ensure everything else is in place.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, so wargear should be last on the list to include, how about for special units?

e.g. a vet squad with 3 meltas, wold that benifit from a powerfist as a tankhunter unit?

or a vet squad with 3 plasmaguns, would the vet sgt benifit from a plasma pistol?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
cool, so wargear should be last on the list to include, how about for special units?

e.g. a vet squad with 3 meltas, wold that benifit from a powerfist as a tankhunter unit?

or a vet squad with 3 plasmaguns, would the vet sgt benifit from a plasma pistol?
For me anyhow what I said in my first post still applies, and I look at it from the view that if I have a PW/PF or a Plasma Pistol in every squad then that might add up to, say 40 to 60 pts..now what will that 40/60 pts buy me - maybe a Sentinel or a SWS that can go in a Vendetta, etc.

If I can't find anything effective or reasonable to buy then I'll start adding in a Meltabomb or a BP..whatever.

Then again it always comes down to personal preferences..what I consider effective and reasonable might not match your view, plus it depends if you're after a competitive/Tournament, friendly/casual, and/or a fluffy list.

·
4,491 Posts
If your against Nids and Orks, then try to spend as little as possible on upgrades, and try to spam as much mech, blast, and plasma in the list as you can.
Manticores, PlasmaVets, and Chimeras are your friend.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had ok success with 5 power weapons in a platoon of 50, plus the commissar for a sixth. but quit playing it due to the amount of dmg big hordes of orks and nids (and flamers from spacemarines) could dish out. plus I'd rather have 10 get overkilled then blow the #$%^ outta them next turn.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool beans, thanks for all the advice guys :D

so, only wargear if i have spare points (i usualy have something like 10-40pts spare at the end) :p

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
its not like those 10 or 40 points can really buy anything game changingly useful really, so you may as well have fun

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
40 points... drop a couple of small upgrades and you can put Marbo in there. He can certainly be game changing.
yeah.....if he has something to throw that very short range charge at, and doesn't miss, and survives 1 whole turn sitting there doing nothing at all, otherwise the only game change he makes is forcing a player to laugh at him.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
In my experience, a powerfist could always have made a difference. If you have the points to spare, do it. Most CC troops out there will hit you first anyway, so at least you`ll go out with a few good hits.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

And yes, Marbo is only cool in fluff. In TT, he is only a minor irritant.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
yeah.....if he has something to throw that very short range charge at, and doesn't miss, and survives 1 whole turn sitting there doing nothing at all, otherwise the only game change he makes is forcing a player to laugh at him.
When that Charge takes out a 250 Point Tank, 2 Terminators inside and also brings the Captain inside to its last wound, then I considered that a good game changing swap to make.

Yes, there are many invariables involved, a lot of them relying on your opponent. But as a canny player, you can take advantage of your opponents fears or chance taking.

I wonder if those 60 odd points spent on Power Weapons, Fists or Plasma's would really add up to an additional 350-400points worth of damage?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I wonder if those 60 odd points spent on Power Weapons, Fists or Plasma's would really add up to an additional 350-400points worth of damage?
why should that be important?, if a 10pt power weapon kills a single 15pt marine or even a 10pt fire warrior then if your doing all that stupid pathetic pointless "make its points back" bollocks then they have.

if those 40pts on power weapons and bolt pistols does nothing, then oh well, tough luck, who cares, maybe next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts