Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just thought i'd share our Thousand Son home rules.

After multiple games of testing my thousand sons with different home rules this is what we came up with as a pretty balanced set.

See what you think

Ahriman
keeps the same cost and gains eternal warrior (he's been around forever), the spell familiar rules (well he is the greatest sorcerer besides Magnus), and has a 3+ invul save (we added this because a sorcerer with a SoC and MoT has a better save).

Thousand Sons
cost reduced to 140pnts and each additional rubric marine is 19pnts. (we decided on this because there are no weapon upgrades for the unit and str4 ap 3 weapon can only do so much)
While the Aspiring Sorcerer is alive or another socerer is with the rubrics, they are relentless but once the AS is killed or the sorcerer is killed or leaves, they then become slow and purposeful. (this we believe reflects the fact that they are ordered rather than act on their own) this then at least let's them fire overwatch.

cheers
Woodzee

·
Registered
49 Posts
While the rules for Lil Red make alot of sense the TS rules seems less balanced... You mentioned the lack of upgrade, as a CSM player(slaanesh), and Space Wolf player, having been on the receiving end of that S4 AP3 soulblaze it is no laughing matter. Though the relentless to Slow and purposful sounds good. And if my brother ever tries to use these rules ahainst me....im blaming you.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
The problem with Thousand Sons is similar to Eldar in that they are a dedicated tool for a job - and that's killing AP3 targets. If they don't have AP3 targets to shoot, or AP4 should the rest of the army be lacking, then they're no better than normal marines at killing targets.

Unlike Eldar which has units which are aimed at killing particular targets, the rest of the Chaos Space Marines list does not work in that way - and with access to the Baledrake, which is more effective, works out cheaper for the same killing potential, and is more survivable and in general better as flyers are pretty much "the shit" still due to GW not having a clue how balancing works.

CSM are fairly all comers, and to have a focus on units which can only effectively shoot at one target (and even then - S4 v T4 is not exactly brilliant).

If I was to fix them;

Remove Slow and Purposeful when a Psyker is part of the unit (or perhaps a Psyker Monstrous Creature is within 6" for things like Be'lakor or Kairos), giving them Relentless instead
Go back to AP5
Give the Sorcerer a new Psychic Power for free which can change their Bolter ammunition - bring back the old Blast Inferno Bolts from 3.5th edition, Rending+Soulblaze, or S4/AP3 Flamers to turn them into Chaos equivalent Sternguard Veterans.
Reduce points to 19-20, and purchase cost of 130.
Improve the Banner - Grants a special Soulblaze which perhaps triggers on 2+ rather than 4+, does D6 hits, and improves to S5 AP4.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the other option that almost made it was that the aspiring sorcerer could take an upgrade to a max lvl 2 psyker for the 25pnts as long as the HQ sorcerer was a higher psyker level.

This one was play tested heaps and we thought it tipped it that little bit over as their was then Ahriman lvl4, a HQ sorcerer lvl 3 and 6 lvl 2 AS and it was a little over powered. Especially when they were all able to cast psyhic shriek every turn although that was an entirely fluff based list all rubrics with no other slots such as elite, heavy or fast filled only HQ's and Troops. however against a vehicle army it was absolutely slaughtered nothing could damage the vehicles except for the corrosin spell and melta bombs so not much happening in that style. pretty much 2 vinicators made short work of it.

the str4 sort of makes up for the ap3 as most of the games i play are usually against toughness 4 or better so they have a bit of trouble getting the wounds through lot's of trouble against my friends tyranid MC list with all the toughness 6 stuff.

@Vaz i like your idea of the soulblaze change we'll look into that and see how it goes and i think 130 is a litle cheap as they still have the 4++ save.

@miester Zef you know you would still have to agree to these home rules :grin: but thankyou for your response

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.