Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around recently with Vypers in a weird gunline Eldar army and through sheer dumb luck it's been wiping people out in the first few turns. So i've decided to try and refine this army into something a bit better.

HQ

There is a reason for this, basically to make my guardians fearless. I might replace him with a Guide Farseer to help my War Walkers out.

Troops

10 Guardians
- Scatter Laser

Wave Serpent
- Twin linked Bright Lance

10 Guardians
- Scatter Laser

Wave Serpent
- Twin linked Bright Lance

5 Pathfinders

The Guardians exist to stay out of trouble a allow me to buy Wave Serpents, they can add their scatter laser shots to the mix if needed.

Elite

5 Fire Dragons

Fast Attack

Vyper
- Scatter laser
- Shuriken Cannon

Vyper
- Scatter laser
- Shuriken Cannon

Vyper
- Scatter laser
- Shuriken Cannon

These are not good, and pricey, but they can move 6" and fire 7 s6 shots each a turn. Yes only half of those will hit but it's about volume of fire here.

Heavy Support

1 Falcon

3 War Walkers
- 6 Scatter Laser

3 War Walkers
- 6 Scatter Laser

In my original list the Second squadron of War Walkers was a unit a of Reapers, I might even go back to them

This is bang on 1500 pts.

The idea is simple, hang back and blaze away wildly with scatter lasers. I face a lot of Guard and Nids which informs my choices a lot. If I dont outflank my walkers I get 68 Scatter Laser shots a turn from the Walkers, Vypers and Guardians, throw in a few lance shots for heavier tanks. Transports do not stand a chance really, it's really hard to hide from them. It's also good against MC as you get to throw lots of wounds at them to try and save.

I will say this is not a good list, it's a fun list, especially if you like rolling lots of dice, which I do.

Aramoro

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ouch i like it and would not like to face it. I take it the Falcon is for the fire dragons, yes? Great use of units choices and Defo change the Avatar to a Cheap seer for some extra support with shooting. Guide comes to mind with all those scatter laser shots :grin:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Is the ability to split fire with the Vypers and slight increase in durability worth the 2 extra easy KP? After all, that's another opportunity to roll a 21 dice at once. I can see how it could prove the risk of a KP mission though.

What gun did you put on the Falcon? Scatter Laser? Does it have any other upgrades?

So, the Guardians are hiding in the Serpents unless they need to get out, right? Not just hanging back with an Avatar? Then yeah, I'd go with a Doom/Guideseer. Guide helps a lot sure and there isn't a bunch that S 6 wont wound on a 2+ but you mentioned you play Nids quite a bit and that will help with those MCs.

Anyway you look at it, it's definately a fun list.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I occasionally pick the Vypers as a squadron, sometimes not, depends how I'm feeling, usually squadron them now a day. That said when I run them as individuals people tend not to waste their time shooting them. How I lay my guys out depends entirely on who or what i'm playing to be honest. I have no fixed deployment or strategy. So sometimes the Guardians hangout with the Avatar sometime the cruise around in their ride.

There is nothing on the Falcon, just the Pulse laser.

Aramoro

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You must buy a second weapon for the Falcon, you can't leave it as just the Laser.

My personal preference would be to go the whole hog and drop the 3 vypers and Falcon for another squadron of 3 War Walkers... but that's probably a little silly. Buy a serpent for the Dragons and bump the numbers up a little.

·
Registered
51 Posts
try replacing all your vipers with a squad of 9 (inc exarch) warp spiders , 3 less shots, but more will hit , all str 6 and are more survivable than the vypers, lose slightly on the manuverability, but u can get them into cover after u have fired.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'd definately drop the avatar as it's a big target on foot. Only other unit on foot is pathfinders.

The guardians can you go in a transport with a scatter laser platform? Seems a bit weird.
Well if there transport blows they run for cover fireing all the way. If it doesn't unload them infount of something and let lose with 18 S4 shots and 4 S6 shots.

You need a Wave serpent for your Fire Dragons really. I the idea is mayeb to put them into the Falon but the falcon doesn't want o get nice and close so maybe drop the Vypers and take a Scatter Serpent. You can then give your Falcon a missile launcher and that means it can move 12" and fire plasma grenades and the pulse laser. Made of awsume.

Taking a Doomseer or a Guide Seer would be better than the Avatar here. the guideseer make the all ready deadly war walker even better and the Doomseer would make even Plage Marines fear guardians as close range

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I quite often deploy my Guardians outside of their Serpents and have them cruise around by themselves anyway. I like the Avatar as he is a big old bullet magnet, shooting at him means you're not shooting my incredibly fragile Scatter Laser platforms. But I like said earlier, I may replace him with a Guide Seer as it adds a lot of utility.

I do like Warp Spiders but they have a massive range disadvantage over Vypers. They both move 12" a turn but the Vypers have a 36" range compared to 12". That means the Vypers are effective and shooting from turn 1.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
but don't over look sypders. I use them in my 2000pts force and they are fiarly effective....however in a mech army they are less effective but they are far cheapper and can make bakc there points most of the time so it's like Marmite. you eiather prefure Vypers or Spyders.
I would suggest however that in a friendly swap out the Vypers for Spyders and see how they do to decide on which you want. Sinc emy army is all on foot i need the speed of them(there the ONLY thing that move more than 6")

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have an unnatural love of Warp Spiders and I've used them a lot. It's just this specific scenario I require a bit more range. There are plenty of mech and foot forces I would use Spider in however.

Aramoro

·
Registered
20 Posts
i did have a thought on this and drafted a list of my own... gotta say it would be fun to play it!

Farseer Spear + Guide
Farseer Spear + Guide
Fire Dragonx5
WaveSerpent TL Scatter Laser + Cannon
Fire Dragonx5
WaveSerpent TL Scatter Laser + Cannon
Guardian Jetbike x6 2x Cannon
War Walker x3 Scatter Laser x6
you can always drop the second squad of dragons there and get some vipers in the mix if needed & the jetbikes are there for soem sniping and objectives(gives a bit more mobility than guardians with a serpent)

hehe, would love to play it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts