Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, as we all know, the ultramarines seem to be the chapter alot of people love to hate, like captian hook.

but how do other chapters feel about them? i would imagine all their founded chapter like them or respect them to some degree, but what about; blood angels, white scars, iron hands, etc?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I don't hate them, I just think they're a bit 'generic', especially since their chapter specific characters don't really change the game much. They're just good at close combat.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i can tell why people hate them really. However they are boring to paint so boooooo!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I don't see why the White Scars wouldn't, their Gene-Father was fully behind the Codex and they adhere to it with their own cultural influences.

The Blood Angels also have a lot to thank for the Codex, it was one less thing to worry about when they were virtually tearing themselves apart after Sanguinius' death- I imagine the good will has remained, especially after the 2nd War for Armageddon when the BA, UM, and Salamanders fought side by side.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i think both of you misunderstood my question. ive seen so many threads about 'i hate ultras, whos with me? lets stick calgar on a big wooden cross!'

but im asking about other chapters, do they respect them? disagree with their ways? have open disagreements, such as white scars and raven guard, or the salamanders and the marines manevolent?

edit: sorry barron, diddnt see your post. its alot more on track haha.

are there any chapters that have openly gone against the ultras?(not to the point of heresy, just refused their help/gone after a different foe)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would imagine the Black Templars would regard their Ultramarine brethren as capable and courageous warriors, but lacking in the zeal the Emperor is entitled to.

They'd probably also be wary of them since they represent the ultimate ideal of adherence to the Codex Astartes which the Black Templars virtually ignore.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I doubt that they would call them Smurfs... But I am sure that, lets say, the Alpha Legion would... But they are heretics... Heretics...

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Some of the Chapters like Space Wolves consider the UM to be set in their ways. but I can't think of any that have open hostility towards them.

Personally I have no problem with the Smurfs, they are the standard that all others are measured by. Its tough at the top. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
In a lot of the old background chapters like the DA and SW came into friction with the ultras because the ultramines didnt respect them for not strictly following the codex.

·
Registered
674 Posts
No loyalist factions in 40k are shown to out and out hate them, because the writers have a Smurf fetish.

Space Wolves, I'd say. Maybe some Inquisitors who have issues with them.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is more like it haha

are there any stories of chapters openly disagreeing with the ultras? i.e. tsu'shan coming to blows with that malevonent captian on armageddon?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
If you check up on fighting tiger (located in sig) allies and enemies then the ultras are listed as enemies since they decided that they were impure in their worship of the Big E and reigned in their culture and rigidly held control over them for a while.

Its quite original since there are not many cases of marines getting upset about the ultrasmurfs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
And justified, because the Ultramarines need a two page story in which Ultima Segmentum gets nommed by a few hive fleets. And Calgar gets eaten by rippers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I reckon the Wolves have no time for them after the introduction of the Codex Astartes:

Russ: "Listen, Rob, having your Marines carry a Bolt Pistol, Bolter *and* Combat Weapon is a good idea."
Guilliman: "Heresy! Horus turned from the Emperor's light due to this ideal!"
Russ: "What? Since when? Where did you hear that rubbish?"
Guilliman: "All the behind-the-scenes scandal is in my new book, available soon via the Astronomicon."
Russ: "Muppet."

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
would totaly read an autobiography by the primarchs :p

robute guilliman: ultramately, for the emperor
lion el'jonson: a comedy of errors
jaghati khan: fast like thunder
leman russ: did it for the treats
rogal dorn: heavy handed
sanguinius: the right hand
ferrus manus: built like iron
vulkan: hot like fire
corax: careful does it

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
It could have been fan fiction But I did read something about other chapters Respecting but disliking the ultras because of their ties to the codex astartes. They were good warriors and loyal to the emperor and all that but they kind of held it over a lot of the other chapters. More than likely Fan Fiction though.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think you should take a look at forgeworlds red scorpions. The adhere to the codex even more than ultramarines and "strongly dislike" chapters that don't follow it as much as themselves.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
No chapter outwardly hates the Ultramarines, a friendly rivalry maybe. Ultramarines are a Founding chapter that put them akin to legends as far as everyone else is concerned. They are after all branches of the same military organisation albeit a lot more autonomous. I would see it as more friendly rivalry and deriding as you see between the branches of our own military.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well, I'm a Space Wolves player, and I imagine the average Space Wolf's opinion regarding Ultramarines is:

"They always talk about all their success in the past, and all the grand things their chapter will do in the far future, but they never seem to speak of what they're specifically going to do NEXT. They need to start making personal oaths, and start achieving them."

To put it another way, I think it'd be the same opinion that the Space Wolves have of most of the other chapters, that they focus too much on conformity and self policing, and not enough on achieving actual goals and personal quests.

It's this attitude that makes Space Wolves so successful in battle...and in a way, so close to the edge of Chaos.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts