Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a resin model that has (what I assume) is epoxy glue holding it together. I'd like to disassemble it, as I'm going to retrofit some new guns and other bits on it :grin: Is there anything out there proceedure or product wise that works for removing epoxy for resin models? Figured some of you guys might know :biggrin:

Cheers

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The only solvents that I know that are capable of dissolving the epoxy won't do your resin any good either.

The other technique for epoxy removal involves heat (superglue is weakened with freezing, epoxies have heat as their achilles heel) which will probably also have an adverse effect on the models, depending on the solidity of the models (I.E a solid chunk will be less effected than spindly bits).

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
The trouble with epoxy is that it is likly to be stronger than the resin it is holding together, plus the nature of resin usually mean its binds very tightly with the epoxy.

Breaking that bond counts out most of the normal methods I'd use, as Chrome said, these would almost certainly cause damage to the resin. I can only find methods of removing the glue using acetone, which will also melt the model, so its a no go. Very hot water may help to loosen the resin, but it is likly just to either do nothing or worse deform the shape of the resin. Splitting the pieces by force will probably crack the resin around the glue joint, but not the epoxy joint itself.

So not very helpful at all really, but would be interested to see if anybody else has any other ideas.

·
4,491 Posts
Dont use chemicals or solvents.

I would just use a knife, or other suitable tool.

Worst case scenarios....

- You crack the resin, in which case you glue it back together after you have the bond you want apart broken, good as new.

- You scratch and roughly cut the bond, in which case clean it up with a knife and use greenstuff to make it smooth again, good as new.

- You slip and cut your finger off, in which case you can use the blood on anything Khorne or Ork and just stick your finger back on with sticky tape, good as new.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
The problem is the epoxy and the resin have basically the same properties.Chemicals or non mechanical processes just wont work. That leaves you with brute force or tools. Sorry. However in relation to the big cheese's final point. Someone on the forum here has glued cuts together with superglue. Might be worth remembering when you do begin this process.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Personally, I'd take it to my scroll saw and dissect it along the glue joins. Note: If you don't know how to use such tools safely, having A&E on speeddial is also an option. As is having someone who DOES know how to use them.

There are no chemical solvent measures that will work on the epoxy.
The 'heat' method (good for removing epoxy from certain metals and ceramics) is also not a good option.

This leaves physical separation as the only option.

If you don't have this option, you are pretty much screwed. Perhaps a neighbour or friend/relative has something that will do the job?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts