Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now it's been a while since I've even looked at 40k Orks except down the barrel of a boltgun so I'm looking for sneaky tips and handy hints anyone may have on a 'small scale green wave'.

Warboss - 'eavy armour, boss pole, power klaw, cybork body

Big Mek - 'eavy armour, kustom force field

Lootas - 9x lootas, 1x Mek w/kustom mega blasta

Boyz - 19x boyz, 1x Nob w/ 'eavy armour, power klaw, boss pole

Boyz - 18x boyz, 1x Nob w/ 'eavy armour, power klaw, boss pole

That gives me a total of 999 points and 91 models, which I think would be quite intimidating. However Orks do die very easily, hence the kustom force field, but he's got a limited range and if anyone shows up with whirlwinds/vindicators etc.then I could be in real trouble. Also flyers...damn flyers...

Any advice would be grand.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm unsure of points cost and the like not playing orks much; however if you dropped one of the boys squads, you could get an ADL W/Quad Gun to stick your lootas behind - gives them some protection against bothersome templates and some anti air.

Does the force field on the Mek only work on 'models' within six inches (is it six?) or 'units'? If its the former a transport may be in order as it's measured from the hull and could be a range boost, if its the latter then clever deployment should see you through.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
You lack a bit of mobility, and although that number of models in 1000 points is pretty good maybe you could look at getting some bikes or deffkoptas as harassing units to distract the shots your force will receive.

I probably think the kustom mega blaster on the loota nob is unnecessary and would stick with his looted weapon.

As a final thought, squads of 19 are good, but squads of 25 are great! You may be better having 3 squads of 25. Much harder to force into leadership tests and act as real tarpit units if against stronger HTH units.

As a side what are you arming the boys with? 'Choppa and slugga' or 'shootas'?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys. As to shootas or slugga/choppa I was gonna go with the second one, the sheer amount of attacks Orks can get is something I personally find hilarious. Plus their shooting is famously bad anyways. That being said the kustom mega blasta is the only S8 AP 2 ranged weapon I have and I'll just have to hope the dice gods are with me...
As to the KFF as far as I can remember it applies to units, unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my codex.

Here's a revised list:

Warboss - 'eavy armour, boss pole, power klaw, cybork body

Big Mek - 'eavy armour, kustom force field

Lootas - 7x lootas, 1x Mek w/kustom mega blasta

Boyz - 24x boyz, 1x Nob w/ 'eavy armour, power klaw, boss pole

Aegis defence line w/quad gun

OR

4x ork bikers

Rearranging the boys and dropping a few lootas gives me a nice round thousand points with either the ADL or the bikers, I'd rather have both of course but that means losing some boys or the lootas (which negates the point of taking the ADL). I know my mobility is poor either way but hopefully I can soak up enough fire to reach the enemy and whack him.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Shootas are pretty good in some cases. If you get the objective that lets you rerolls 1's to hit can be doubly fun. You would get 46 shots re-rolling 1's. But taking choppas is an equally valid option as the extra attack is very useful.

·
Registered
564 Posts
your bikes won't work in a foot slogging list as they will reach the enemy lines on there own and unless they're nob bikers they will get smashed up easy.

You've got a footslogging army so keep it to that i would keep the 4 20 man units and remember they only need to be within 2" of each other to keep cohereancy so don't be afraid to spread them out and as long as one ork from each unit is within 6" of the KFF then that whole unit benefits (unless they have nerfed it and i haven't picked it up as it has been a while since i used a KFF with a footslogging army).

The kustom mega blasta is wasted with the lootas as the range is only 24" so he will be pretty much twidling his thumbs for the most part as your lootas will be in the ADL so resorting back to deffgun for the extra rang shots.

i wouldn't be so worried about armour as your nobz and war boss will tear anything open or otherwise put some rokkits into your boyz squads.

remember to utilize the coherancy rule to stop templates ruining your day.

as regards to shootas or slugga choppas i use either or a mixture of the two. two units of sluggas two units of shootas. stick your war boss with some slugga boyz. utilize your warrgghh at the right time and you should ne all over the enemy by turn 3 getting those powerklaws tearing stuff up.

hope this helps a bit.

i use the same sort of configuration as that but no defence line and have 2 units of 6 man loota squads and hide them in cover on each side of the board.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I would forget the bikes and stay with the foot sloogers. I love shootas as they are really good but to each their own. You could drop the lootas and take some kannons for long ranged fire power and grots shot better than orks and use the points else where if you want.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Going from your first list I would get rid of the big mek. This would free points for an ADL. Also use only lootas and no mek. And finaly, take full squads of 30 boys since they have more staying power.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The meks along purely for his KFF, even if I took mobs of thirty boys they're gonna drop like flies as that 6+ armour save might as well not be there. that invulnerable save is gonna cover at least two units plus the Mek himself, should save a few boys for the charge.

If I take kannons with extra grots (instead of the lootas) can they man the ADL quad gun as well without effecting the kannons? That extra point of BS would be handy, although getting the kannons in a position to maintain LoS could be interesting with a wall in the way.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Its important to note that the KFF does not cover "Units" anymore it covers "Models" which means if you want to protect a squad you've gotta be within 6 inches of all of them. Wedging two 30 man squads under that 6 inch spread might be tricky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts