Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, this is my first ever battle report. I hope you enjoy it.
I have compiled this BR from memory and from the photos I took as the evening wore on, I may have missed a few bits, as I did not take any notes, so please bear with me. Plus it was late and I hadn't brought any snacks. That lesson has been learned, notes, more pictures of the action, a map or 5, and some nutritious nibbles to sustain me. :grin:

I do enjoy gaming, as well as painting. One of the things that I very much enjoy, is the learning curve. The musings afterwards about how I could have done things better, and what I must not forget for my next game. All players should learn from their mistakes. This game afforded me the opportunity to remember one very important thing about playing with Orks. Read on, to hopefully learn from this grotty warboss' example. How to snatch a glorious close defeat from an overwhelming, comprehensive victory.

1500 points, Orks Vs Dark Angels, Dawn of War, The Scouring.

Orks - Ghazgkhull Codex, Great Waaagh Formation
HQ
Warboss, EA, BP, Choppa of da Raganarork
Big Mek, EA, BP, Mega Force Field, PK, Kustom Mega Blasta

Elites
Nobz x6, EA, Shootas, 2x PK, 4x Big Choppas, Battlewagon, Kannon, 4x Rokkits, Grot Riggas, Reinforced Ram
Tankbustas x 5, 3x Bomb Squig, Trukk, Rokkit, Reinforced Ram

Troops
Boyz x14, EA, Slugga Choppa, Boss Nob, BP, PK
Boyz x14, EA, Slugga Choppa, Boss Nob, BP, PK
Boyz x13, EA, Slugga Choppa, Boss Nob, BP, PK

Fast
Deffkopta, TL Big Shoota

Heavy
Lootas x8, Mek, Kustom Mega Blasta
Mek Gunz x2, Lobba, Kannon
Mek Gunz x2, Lobba Kannon

Dark Angels

No force org
Techmarine, Bolt Pistol, Displacer Field, Melta Bombs, Storm bolter, Artificer Armour

HQ
Librarian Displacer Field, Melta Bombs, Porta-rack, Power Armour, Combi-Plasma, Force Stave, Psyker Level 2

Elite
Deathwing Terminator Squad, Assault Cannon, Chainfist, Deathwing Terminator Sgt, 4x Deathwing Terminators

Troops
Tactical Squad
Heavy Bolter, Plasmagun, 9x Tactical Marine, Sergeant,Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Veteran Sgt, Razorback, Storm Bolter, Twin Linked Assault Cannon
Tactical Squad Heavy Bolter, Plasmagun, 9x Tactical Marine, Sergeant, Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

Fast Attack
Nephilim Jetfighter, Avenger Mega Bolter
Ravenwing Black Knights 2x Black Knight, Huntmaster,Melta Bombs, Power Sword

Heavy
Land Speeder Vengance, Heavy Bolter
Vindicator, Storm Bolter

My opponent set up the board, and I got to choose which side, I also deployed and went first, steal the initiative was unsuccessful, and we were night fighting.
Because I was using the Great Waaagh formation, I got to roll to see if any of my units deep struck. I had one unit of Boyz held in reserve for this. My Warboss and Nobz were in my Trukk, The Battlewagon held my Tankbustas, Big Mek, and one Units of Boyz (13x Boyz, one Boss Nob)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turn One, none of the objectives have been revealed, and the points values are secret, so my basic plan was to launch myself at the enemy in true Orky fashion.
My first mistake of the day was to move my poor little Deffkopta into the ruins on the left to check the objective. Sitting out front he made a tasty target, and the incoming dakka left nothing but a fine green and red mist. One VP for killing Fast attack, and One for First blood.
Genius.
My Trukk also came screaming around from behind cover and was promptly shot out from underneath my Warboss. The Battlewagon rumbled forward into the maw of the waiting Battlewagon, and after digesting the "Str 10, AP2, Large Blast", statline from my opponent, ground to an undignified, imobilised halt.
All was not lost, as my Lootas proceeded to dakka the Razorback to tiny bits, much to my opponents surprise. He had no idea Lootas could be so good! 24x Str 7 will do that.
My Mek guns also playfully lobbed dakka all over the shop, doing not much as I remember. Their time will come though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turn 2, WWWWAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! Obviously.
This turned into a right mash up.
After carefully considering all my tactical options, I decided to yomp my lads forward onto carefully selected targets.
Boyz Mob 1 disorderly charged the Tech marine and Librarian, and after literally stamping the Tech marine into the floor, the displacer field of the Librarian shot him towards his own table edge, nicely out of the way. I consolidated them onto Objective 4, to the right of the ruins. Just in time for the DW Termies to DS in and hand out a light wafting of Assault cannon and Storm bolts. Lovely. The Boyz, promptly lost their bottle, and despite their Boss' protestations, they legged it.
My Warboss saw some show off on a bike, and fancied giving him a bit of a kicking. Launching uphill, they easily got into CC. It was then that I remembered the "Biggest and the Best". I must give and accept all challenges.
Normally, not a problem. However, I was trying out this new Gubbinz, Choppa of da Ragnarork. I cannot stress how disappointing this turned out to be. It nearly cost me my Warboss, to a fecking Sgt. For it to be any use, it needs warming up, preferably by chopping through the heads of some handy guardsmen to get the STR and AP bonuses. Without it, it's a bit rubbish, frankly. So we get held in Combat for a turn while the Boss swore and tried to batter a SM to death with a bit of stick.
On the right flank, My Boyz, Tanbustas, and Big Mek disembarked from the OT BW, Ran forward and charged. My Lads Cheerfully scrambled over ruins, and Landed on the Tactical Squad lurking in the ruins, like a large bunch of Giant Green maniacs with axes. It wasn't pretty for the SM.
The Tankbustas however Ran 1" and promptly failed their charge of 6". I'm glad that they got hit with the Demolisher Kannon, the wormy little grots. The Big Meks MFF saved 3 of them though and they promptly legged it back the way they came.
On the Left Flank, my Lootas opened up on the Landspeeder. Having survived a fusillade from this in the previous turn, they were keen to get a little payback. They were certainly earning their pennies, as they dakka'd it to death. Ace.
However, a Nephilim Fighter came in from reserves, directly infront of them. It was all it could do to stay airbourne, considering the amount of missiles that it was carrying. Luckily it decided to fire all 6, so that it could save a bit of fuel.
2 of my lootas bit the dust, which wasn't bad going considering.
My Mek Guns at the back finally also proved to be useful as the Lobbas managed some Direct Hits from indirect fire on the bikes and blasted the 2x knights to oblivion before the Boss Charged in.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn 3.
At this point in the game, I thought, hang on a minute, I can win this. I may even table him. Blimey. :shok:
Tim also started to look a little despondent, as by the end of this turn, his jolly little chaps had been given a right going over.
My Boyz in reserve Deepstruck in, and I knew exactly where they were going, onto the left. A Direct Hit on the scatter and they were in, just in time to dish out a whole horde of high calibre lessons in underestimating Orky shooting. The TAC team on the left got it right in the face, lost 2 guys and shat themselves right out of cover and half way to their own table edge.
The Nephilim Fighter also got a face full of Dakka from the lootas, and lost a HP to a Penetrating Hit, resulting in Crew Shaken for them.
The Terminators in the middle also got a bit of a surprise. I hit them with my Mek Guns Lobbas and Frag and whilst my opponent confidently rolled, declaring "this is what terminators are all about, they love it". 2 died.
My Boyz in the middle got a grip on themselves, turned and moved back 3" towards the Tac team lurking in the woods on the left. Again, much dakka ensued, and 2 marines went down! Hurray for buckets of dice!
Boo, for remembering afterwards that they can only Snap fire, and having to re-roll the whole lot, resulting in not a scratch. Shazbutt.
My Warboss finally finished off the Show off on the bike, but was down to 1 wound. They consolidated away from the beckoning Terminators, and towards Tactical Squad 2. I needed to get the Str and AP of this weedy axe up if I am going to wave it about infront of a bunch of DW terminators.
On the right, Boyz Mob 2 proceeded to kick the back doors of the Vindicator in, quite literally. I didn't even use the PK.
The Tankbustas just kept on running, even legging it through a ruin in their haste to get away.
At this stage, we were both looking at the table and marvelling at how the tide had changed. It was obvious that the Orks had sown this one up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turn 4.
This should have been a mopping up action for me. However, I'd just like to say that in my defence, it was now 2am, I had been up since 5am the previous day, and I hadn't had anything to eat or drink in quite a few hours. Plus it was a bit cold and my opponent, who was cheerfully downing beers, was also farting like deflating Zeppelin. Sometimes it was hard to make out the board, my eyes were watering that much.
This should go a little way to explaining my small faux pas, I won't say what it was, I shall let the seasoned Ork players amongst you inform the rest of us why I should have my army removed, for it's own good. Actually, you needn't be seasoned, just have ever played Orks in 7 Edition, or even brushed a copy of the codex with your hand in passing. It took me over an hour to realise what I had done.
Anyhoo, my Warboss charged into Tac squad 2, ripping them to tiny pieces and finally getting his bonuses. Unfortunately, one stubborn Marine refused to die, or even budge, so we were stuck in combat.
Boyz Mob 1 got a good kicking from the terminators and promptly spread their spores over a wide area.
Boyz Mob 3, flush from seeing off one bunch of girly SM, charged into the nearest Tac squad which was now joined by their librarian. Amazingly, the Orks lost combat, by 1 wound. This was because, although we had scored 2 wounds with the PK, one was taken by the librarian and his 3++ invulnerable save. We subsequently failed our morale check and rolled 6 for our fall back. Adding 2 for our initiative, I hoped all would be fine, however, the marines rolled 6 and we were wiped out by a sweeping advance. 13 boyz and a Nob with Eavy armour slaughtered by 2 marines and a librarian.
Muddy Funster.
Not satisfied with this, the Nephilim fighter chucked a 90 deg turn in and proceeded to open up on my Boyz on the right, killing 2.
The only good things were that my Grot riggers sorted my BW, and my Tankbusters got a grip on themselves and huddled in the ruins on top of Objective 2 on the right. I also got a HP on the Fighter too.
So, amongst that lot is my glaring mistake. Please be gentle, and bear in mind all my excuses earlier. :cray:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally, we come to turn 5.
Reeling from my losses, and actually flapping around like a whinging toddler I thought, what the hell, let's finish the game anyway. :grin:
The remaining Terminators actually succumbed to yet more Lobba and Frag. All that was left was a scattering of ceramite and a big hole.
The Lootas blasted the last HP of the Jet, wrecking it, which was quite satisfying, and also scored me another VP.
Now unfortunately, I have made a small error with the charts. My Warboss had consolidated towards Objective 4 in the last turn, In turn 4, the librarian and marines had consolidated around the ruin, moved onto the objective and charged my Warboss and Nobz. Again, I am stunned to say, that the Warboss lost his challenge and was killed, wounds were carried onto the Nobz, and the marines finished them off.
So, turn 5 sees the librarian and 2 marines sitting on the 4 point objective, with not an ork to be seen.
My battlewagon roared across river, opened up with it's 4 rockets and Kannon, scored 4 hits, and then 4 wounds, which killed the librarian and one marine. The last guy made his LD check so sat there, fat dumb and happy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, wash and brush up. It was close. If I hadn't made the BIG mistake, I am certain that this would have been a resounding victory for the Orks.
At the end of the game, Tactical Squad 2 consisted of 3 marines, and Tactical Squad 1 had 1 marine. That was all that was left, I had killed everything else.
Now VP's.

Dark Angels;
Primary Objectives:
Kill Fast units: 1 VP
Objective markers: 4 VP
Secondary Objectives:
Slay the Warlord: 1 VP
First Blood: 1 VP

Orks:
Primary Objectives:
Kill Fast units: 2 VP
Objective markers: 3 VP
Secondary Objectives:
Slay the Warlord: 1 VP
Linebreaker: 1 VP

So, that's 7 each, a draw. It could have been worse. :laugh:
But most importantly, we both had a tremendous amount of fun. Even if I was kicking myself later on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now, I have a couple of errata.
I think I actually won, decisively. We forgot to count the dedicated Trukk as a Fast Vehicle for the purposes of the Primary objective, which gifts another VP to the DA making 8 to 7 in their favour.
I'm guessing that as a dedicated transport, even though it doesn't occupy a Fast Slot, it still counts as a Fast vehicle for this purpose.
However, my opponent incorrectly stated that only troops are scoring units. p134, states "any unit can be a scoring unit.." It has stipulations, but none of them apply to my Battlewagon and Tankbusters. So that is an extra 4 points for the Orks making the final score 8 to 11 in favour of the Orks.
Sweet.

I also forgot to talk about a "man of the match". TBH, it's a toss up between the Lootas and Mek Guns, they both paid for themselves in spades, but for sheer killy dakka, and for the fact that they single handedly took out 3 vehicles and kept the left flank free of troops, it's got to go to the lootas.
Also, the Choppa of the Ragnarork. If you take this you need to wade your Boss into a nice soft target first to build up the Str and AP. If you don't, you may end up regret taking it. The theory sounds great (Str 10 AP1 full initiative attacks), but unless I'm up against another horde army, I probably won't bother in future.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Sounds like quite a battle! It's the skin-of-the-teeth ones that swing back and forth like that that I like best, honestly.

I can't be certain without checking my rulebook, which is a bit buried at the moment, but I'm inclined to agree that the trukkprobably counts as a FA point--just off the top of my head, mind. Not that your opponent needs to know, the weedy beaky boy git.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I think it's going to count, it's definitely fast, so there you go.
This is probably the first game where we have actually played "properly", with objectives, and played to the scenario. So, totalling up the VP is new ground for me.
When it looked like I had lost, I didn't mind, as every day is a school day, and there was a weird irony I quiet enjoyed that an army could take the kind of beating that the DA received, and still win.
As it happens, they didn't, they got comprehensively battered, but it's nice to think that at least it's possible.

I have taken a lot from this game, particularly when it comes to writing games up afterwards. I know that everyone loves the video Batrep, but I quite like the old school drawn chart and commentary. They were always my favourite parts of any White Dwarf. Cool scenery, awesome miniatures, exciting battles, top stuff. :good:
It's a shame they seem to have fallen out of favour a bit.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I know that everyone loves the video Batrep, but I quite like the old school drawn chart and commentary. They were always my favourite parts of any White Dwarf. Cool scenery, awesome miniatures, exciting battles, top stuff.
It's a shame they seem to have fallen out of favour a bit.
I think the video batrep is popular since you can point the camera at the field and talk about what's going on, with no "having to recall afterwards" aspect to it.

Still, I very much like this format--every now and again I get the bug to record and write up a battle, but rarely follow through on it. I have a fondness for the old WD batreps too, definitely...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seeing as no one else has revealed my shameful mistake, here it is.
I forgot Mob Rule. :blush:
In Turn 4, Boyz Mob 3 had just lost combat to 3 marines and a librarian due to poor dice rolls. After then failing their Ld test, we should have immediately rolled on the Mob rule table. Instead we got wiped out to a sweeping advance.
Having 12 Boyz and a Nob means that no matter what I rolled, we would have stayed in combat and probably only lost a couple of Boyz, even with da Boss is watching's D3+3 str 4 hits.
The next round of combat we would almost certainly have obliterated the remaining DA, leaving my opponent with a grand total of 3 marines on the table, tucked away in the top left corner.
As it happens, it doesn't matter, as we won decisively anyway. :victory:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Ah I was wondering what your mistake was. It didn't dawn on me that it was mob rule. Oh well better luck next time still a good beating you put on the green beakies.

I love these older style battle reports also

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.