Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
following the release of the codex, is anyone having second thoughts? or really considering taking Orks now? or is anyone gunna be making changes to their army list to handle those horde elements we may see?

i've settled on this list:

Big Mek, SAG, 95

Wierdboy, Warphead 85

6 Meganobz, 2 Kombi-rokkits 250
Trukk, Red paint 40

15 Burna Boyz, Mek 225

30 Ork boyz, sluggas and choppas, nob with Klaw, 2 rokkits 235

30 Ork Boyz, shootas, nob with klaw, 2 big shootas, 225

20 Ork Boyz, sluggas and choppas, nob with klaw, 1 rokkit, 165

1 battery of 2 Zzap gunz 60

1500 on the dot.

i know it seems wierd, but it works. and well. except against Nidzilla, i get royally handed there.

it makes me laugh when playing Tau armies, i really don't fear anything bar the pie plating hammerheads, i laugh off the one or two wounds from most Suit teams. i imagine however a stealth team would punish me, but they are closer and easier to charge :D :mrgreen:

·
Banned
280 Posts
30 Ork Boyz, shootas, nob with klaw, 2 big shootas, 225
Just to check, are you sure you can get a Klaw on the nob? I've got the leaked version and by that you can't.

See, problem is that you need to replace the nob's Choppa for the Klaw, but to become a Shoota boy he must first exchange his his slugga and choppa for a shoota. Hence he lacks a Choppa to trade for a Klaw.

That being said, I've not seen the official dex, can you shed any light on the issue?

·
Registered
275 Posts
but whos to say what order you upgrade them in, he could uprage the nob first then the boys.

and jase i will have to give you a game i just done see were the points have gone lol and how the hell those burna bos stay alive long enought

martin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to check, are you sure you can get a Klaw on the nob? I've got the leaked version and by that you can't.

See, problem is that you need to replace the nob's Choppa for the Klaw, but to become a Shoota boy he must first exchange his his slugga and choppa for a shoota. Hence he lacks a Choppa to trade for a Klaw.

That being said, I've not seen the official dex, can you shed any light on the issue?
meh it's a 50/50 issue, it's like Martin said, who's to say which way i upgrade them. i don't think it's something anyone would be an ass about, and i'm not worried tbh.

and martin, as for the issue of the burners, it goes like this:
you shoot the burnas, i have two big mobs of thirty boyz in your ass before you can feel it.

you shoot the boyz i punish you with their power weapons//flamers. they would murder pathfinders and rangers.

tbh i'd struggle against your termies, i'd have to hope for sheer amount of boyz to overwhelm them with dice rolls. if you're rolling 30 dice, that's averagely five 1's. then punish you with MA KLAW!!

as for your eldar, bring it. melta dragons and shit don't bother me. only the S-cannons on the falcons and stuff would worry me.

Anyone else gunna take anything to the GT to tackle the Horde?
i know if i was taking My tau i would get spanked by this list.

·
Banned
280 Posts
meh it's a 50/50 issue, it's like Martin said, who's to say which way i upgrade them. i don't think it's something anyone would be an ass about, and i'm not worried tbh.
I think you should have some models set aside just in case. Because Martin's argument doesn't hold a lot of water.

If you upgrade them in the other order, i.e. Nob's Klaw first. Then you run into the problem of not being able to turn the mob into a shootaboyz mob.

"The entire mob may replace their choppas and sluggas with shootas."

As you can see the whole mob, not part of it, have to replace their choppas and sluggas with shootas, except that the Nob no longer has a choppa to hand in which prevents the mob from switching to shootaboyz.

I know it seems silly, but you're trying to take this to a GT, not a friendly environment. So be prepared for this kind of problem is my advice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hey no i appreciate it, i hadn't really noticed it before so i appreciate you letting me know.

one of the reason i put it up here, in case of blatant mistakes.

The reason i say meh is tbh i don't really care if i can't take the nob with Klaw, i'll just replace him with a nob with shoota. not a big deal.

thanks for the info though :D

EDIT: incidentally, Phil Kelly's Goff ork contingent in this months white dwarf took a shoota boyz mob with a nob with klaw. not that this is much to go on as the high elf list in the release issue had a mage with 3 arcane items.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Yeah, the white dwarf is not much to go on at all. In the Chaos release battle report they had Chaos Lord and his retinue ignore the entanglement effect of a destroyed vehicle. The list goes on...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Looks good Jase! I't will give a lot of people a lot of trouble. Dunno about the Zzap guns anymore. I don't think they were as good as they once were! Pleasent to see no Snikkrot and Zog ( i'd take Zog). I think the worse i've seen is almost nothing but boyz led by Gazkull! Horid! lol

MarzM

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I'm also unsure about the Zzap guns. I think some lootas might be worth trying, at least in exchange for one unit of guns.

I haven't played against new codex orks yet. The SAG seems like a really random element, and not easy to deal with as an IC with 100 other models I have to shoot dead before I can target it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Having played both KoS & Codex:Orks for many years I think you are going to be unpleasantly surprised how easily Orks die. Especially versus the Eldar armies of the moment where their high AP weaponry has been replaced with high RoF weaponry.
I would put serious consideration in to buying a KFF for the Big Mek as it effectively gives you an additional 32 Orks for only 50pts.

I’d also think about getting some more mobility in there :eek:k:

·
Registered
339 Posts
hey no i appreciate it, i hadn't really noticed it before so i appreciate you letting me know.

one of the reason i put it up here, in case of blatant mistakes.

The reason i say meh is tbh i don't really care if i can't take the nob with Klaw, i'll just replace him with a nob with shoota. not a big deal.

thanks for the info though :D
TBH I think it's pretty obvious that ork nobs in a shoota mobs are intended to be able to be given power klaws- reason being that in every picture in the ork codex of a shoota mob the nob either has a choppa/slugga or slugga/klaw. Even the boyz mob box has this. I know ppl will say GW aren't the best at sticking to their own rules but can anyone point to a boxed set not being equipped legally on the cover?

I can just about see how the nob gets a slugga/klaw but according to way the list is written there should be no way on earth that a shoota nob can end up with a slugga/choppa given that it must be exchanged aong with all the boyz for a shoota.

I reckon it should read 'every boy in the mob must exchange his slugga/choppa for a shoota' rather than every model or whatever it states now.

It could certainly be debated but I reckon any rational judge would rule in favour of shoota boyz being abled to be given a klaw. That said alot of GW judges are not rational... I'd clear this up beforehand by emailing the organiser- they are pretty good at replying I find.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Apologies for the double post but Ill now take a look at your army :)

If you are having trouble with monstrous creatures, get lootas. They cost the same as burna boyz and have a 48" range. They fire d3 shots at strength 7. They help ALOT v silly tau and eldar MEQ armies. Sure, they get targetted, but this is a GOOD thing. Simply buy more of them. I think your mega armour nobz and zzap guns are a waste of points too, as any competent player will have anti-tank and will use it to blow up your single vehicle. Sure, it could be great in escalation, but half of the games won't be and thats 300 points gone. In tournaments you want reliability not one- game wonders. Zzap guns no longer hit automatically, are heavy and effectively roll 3d6 armour penetration v vehicles, averaging around 11. this will not solve your lack of AP v tank armies, especially given the ease these things will be destroyed.

You will want some form of power weapon with the boyz. I'm pretty sure burna boyz will never make contact with the enemy so I'd suggest snikrot with a good mob of kommandos- they can have 2 burnas in the squad and come on from the opponents board edge! This scares people no end and forces them to deploy forward, giving your boyz more chance of getting in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm determined not to take any of the special characters in the codex for starters.

as for the zzap guns, yeh they're random, but i wanted that element of randomness, and i refuse to take tankbusters (glory hogs rule can be easily abused). i'm not sure about lootas, i could try them out a bit, but i'm really not sure.

as for the mega nobz, it's easy to hide 1 vehicle for the first turn. the plan is when i get my first turn i go 25" with the trukk right into the heart of the enemy. with the brilliant Ramshackle rule the worst that could happen to them is that they take a str3 hit (which they have a 2+ armour save and 2 wounds) and take a pinning check. then you have one unit of meganobz in your lines that you have to deal with.

the way i've played it against most people is there's just far too many threats to shoot at, you cannot deal with every threat. sure they might kill my meganobs, or my burnaz, meh.

i must admit i'm not going to win the GT, and originally these orks were a laughable army to take as a piss about at the GT, but with how they've been doing against a lot of armies, i'm more confident that they might win me one or two games now.

thanks for the advie though guys, i'll try the lootas out (though it would mean me buying more loota models)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I personally like the meganobz in the trukk, but I think there's a better option available (2nd paragraph). Also don't forget that if it takes a penetrating hit (highly likely) and isn't exploded or wrecked, passengers must all disembark anyhow, and if it moved more than 6" (again, highly likely), then all models take a wound on a 4+ with saves allowed. It still won't bother your nobs much but it's a problem that's been vexing me in a mechanized ork army. An average of 5 of the 12 boyz in the trukk die, rendering the unit pretty much useless.

However, taking nob bikers instead of meganobz may be worthwhile. 4+ armor save, 4+ cover save, 4+ invuln vs. shooting when speed boosting (for if you get hit with heavy flamers), and throw in a painboy to give them all feel no pain. 2 4+ saves is almost as good as a 2+ save, you get saves against AP 1 and 2 weapons whereas the meganobz don't, you get higher toughness, you don't have to worry about all the crashing stuff (it will take meganobz ages to get across the board if their transport is taken out or it scatters the wrong way on the ramshackle), and get 12" or 24" of movement/turn guaranteed. The downsides are that they have problems assaulting into cover due to difficult terrain tests, are more expensive/model especially if you give them power klaws, they are best in large expensive units (why I prefer the boyz' warbikes) and anti-tank weaponry takes out an expensive model if you fail your 4+ cover save, though many of these weapons will ruin the meganobz as well. For 15 points cheaper than your meganobz+trukk I came up with 4 nobz bikers with a painboy, 2 power klaws, and 2 shoota/rokkit kombi-weapons. I like shoota/skorchas better however as it lets the unit deal with foes in cover much more easily. A somewhat tougher, incredibly more mobile unit that doesn't have quite the same punch, but 10 power klaw attacks on the charge will usually do you. Just don't go playing with lightning claw terminators.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts