Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nights are drawing in and it's time to start thinking about my army for next year.

Top of my choices for next year is the Orks - I'm looking for something low on subtlety but high on nastiness. The gaming circle I play in habitually plays at 1500 points and is quite competitive. One guy used a foot-slogging 'green tide' army during 2009 and wiped the floor with the rest of us (this year he's moved onto Nids) so I don't want to go that way. So here's my first draft. All comments welcome.

Warboss -PK,Slugga,Attack Squig,Cybory Body, Bosspole -120

Big Mek - KFF, eavy Armour - 90

Boyz Mob (home for the above) - 17 Choppa boyz w/RL + Nob with PK and eavy Armour -158

Boyz mob - 19 Shoota Boyz w/2 Big Shootas +Nob with PK, Eavy armour and Bosspole -175

Boyz Mob - 19 Shoota Boyz w/2 Big Shootas + Nob with PK, Eavy Armour and Bosspole -175

3 x Battlewagon with Deff Rolla, RPJ, and 2 Big Shootas - 405

12 Lootas -180

11 Kommandos + snikrot - 195

Total 1498

The Boss and Mek go in the central BW with the other BWs flanking it so all fall within the KFF bubble. They go straight across the table at the key block of oppo and crush it. Then break out to take objectives as needed. The Lootas provide covering fire on one flank, the other has to look after itself so I'll probably approach along a flank rather than straight up the middle. Snikrot and friends run interference and possibly jump on the back of any gunline units.

Worries - Am I light on anti-armour and does it matter? There's only 84 boyz is that enough against horde armies like Nids and 'green tide' Orks?

Thanks in advance,

TT:grin:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Warboss -PK,Slugga,Attack Squig,Cybory Body, Bosspole -120
remove the attack squig... put him with snikrot and the kommandos. It is a great way to get the PK to there it is needed and gives them a bosspole

Big Mek - KFF, eavy Armour - 90
remove eavy armour... not needed

Boyz Mob (home for the above) - 17 Choppa boyz w/RL + Nob with PK and eavy Armour -158
ew, rokkits with choppa boyz. do not put extra weapons in a choppa boy squad, they don't ever get a shot off. If they do it doesn't hit, and they lose their extra attack. Also, Bosspole. If you decide to keep the warboss with these guys, he will be directly targeted, since he is an IC and will die first. Also remove the heavy armour

Boyz mob - 19 Shoota Boyz w/2 Big Shootas +Nob with PK, Eavy armour and Bosspole -175
fine. except eavy armour

Boyz Mob - 19 Shoota Boyz w/2 Big Shootas + Nob with PK, Eavy Armour and Bosspole -175
fine. except eavy armour

3 x Battlewagon with Deff Rolla, RPJ, and 2 Big Shootas - 405
good set up. I always find RPJ to be useless, but each to their own I prefer armour plates or riggers... but i say remove them all for the reason i suggest below

12 Lootas -180
ok, fine. But there is my advice. With the points I have opened up add 4 more lootaz and separate them into 2 squads of 8, I have removed exaclty 60 points from your list so it is possible.

11 Kommandos + snikrot - 195
remove 1 kommando

Total 1498
Ok, the other option instead of the 2 units of 8 lootaz is 1 squad of gretchins for taking objectives, Serioulsly, don't underestimate 19 gretchings for 67 points. I see a distinct lack of troops which is my biggest problem with this list. Other than that I say well written.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
HQ: 125

Big Mek: 'Eavy Armour; Cybork Body; Kustom Force Field; Power Klaw

Elite: 535

Kommandos x 13: Snikrot; Burna (x2)

Lootas x 10

Lootas x 10

Troops: 434

Boyz x 19: Big Mek rides wit da boyz

Boyz x 20: Nob w/PK&BP

Heavy Support: 405

Battlewagon: Armour Plates; Deff Rolla; Red Paint Job; Big Shoota (x2)

Total Cost: 1499

Just a different take on your list. Axed the Warboss in favor of some more firepower. Replaced the 1st boyz mob's nob with a kitted out Big mek and one more boy. Made another Lootaz mob giving you more anti armor options. Added another Kommando and kitted the Kommandos with 2 burnas which double as power weapons. Added armor to the BWs for added durability.

OBGOG

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Sorry Tossy. :p I see potential problems with objective games too. Could nix the kommandos in favor of some grots for shields and objective holders, strip the Big Mek down to the KFF and put a PK nob with BP back in the first mob. :victory:

OBGOG

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for to both Tossy and OBGOG for the comments. Some really good points in there.

My instinct is to stick with the Warboss (in spite of the reservations you both express). Over this year I have been using a fairly fluffy SW army. It has proved flexible and reasonably hard hitting but struggled in the face of big gribblies - ie MCs and special characters like Lysander. So I'm leaning towards having a gribbly myself.

The troops issue though does strike me as very real. The Puppies have had 4 Troops in the army and that's bailed me out a couple of times. So the final suggestion of dropping the Kommandos and using the points freed by dropping eavy armour, RLs etc to create a Grots mob and boost the number of Lootas looks like a way to go.

Before I re-do the list has anyone else got any thoughts?

Regardsa
TT

·
Registered
670 Posts
Warboss is ok, leave that one as is.

Big Mek is ok but switch 'eavy armour for cybork body and throw on a burna so can actually do some damage in close combat.

Boyz you're going to use on objectives should have shootas for 18" range, not 12" pistols. Nob should have bosspole to stop them running away, as should all units.

You don't need big shootas in Shoota Boyz mobs as you've got enough fire power already.

Lootas divide into two units of 6, ditch the Kommandos, they have no role at all in this army and cannot do anything anything else can do - actually what they meant to be doing?

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
HQ: 215

Warboss: PK; Cybork Body; Attack Squig; BP; Heavy Armor

Big Mek: Kustom Force Field

Elite: 345

Lootas x 12

Lootas x 11

Troops: 535

Boyz x 18: Nob w/PK&BP

Gretchin x 20: Runtherd

Heavy Support: 405

Total Cost: 1500

By all means keep the Warboss. He's a CC monster. Personally I only run the Warboss in one of 2 ways. Either in mega armor or warbike. Put him with the boyz, but I would just keep the KFF Mek in the wagon when they assault. This not a bad trade off for the Kommandos. Much more shooty and now more troop choices. :mrgreen:

OBGOG

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OBGOG, that I really like the feel of.

It's actually pretty close to where I had got to. I'd got to 2 lots of 10 Lootas with the Mek using the extra points (Cybork, Burna, Eavy armour) but that's tinkering at the edges.

One last question. GW does battlewagon models but at tournaments a lot of guys seem to use converted Land Raiders. I've heard mutterings that this gives an advantage. So:-
1. If it does give an edge why is that? and
2. Is it viewed as legit or cheesy to the point of stinky gorgonzola?

Thanks
TT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts