Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening Heretics,

Recently I played a game of 1500 orks alongside 1500 guardsmen against 3000 Eldar. In turn two, the eldar wiped roughly 1200 point of orks off the board, mostly using multiple combats and wound allocations, though after dooming units and throwing almost everything he had at them (harlequins, dire avengers, wraithlords, an avatar and guardians), there weren't too many left to suffer the wounds or be swallowed up in a sweeping advance...

So, on boards with limited cover, what are some ways that you all achieve good close combat with the green tide, without having units bogged down with tarpits and countercharged, and several charges effecting several ork mobs?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't run massive squads and use one as a screening layer. No Retreat and being crap after the charge is why Orks aren't a good assault army but you need to minimise the damage combat resolution can do to your units. Same deal with Termagants/Hormagants with Tyranids. Rather than send multiple squads in or having multiple squads assaulted, always have one unit covering the rest of your units. This way this unit may die or get assaulted but then you're not suffering multiple no retreat wounds on multiple squads.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You could keep the large squads and take mad dok grotsnik. Who wants 30 angry orks with invulnerable saves and FNP charging at their lines? At first the rage may seem a problem but surly as an ork player you want your boyz in combat asap?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Kan walls are good ways to help your boyz live to see combat, and if you max out the units you should have enough boyz to strike back when charged. Gretchin make great assault screens, and KFFs guarantee you cover saves.

Shoota boyz are good against eldar because they can kill them effectively from much further away, without having to get into assault range first.

Mostly, I think you had trouble because you were likely aggressive without the proper backup. 3000 points of orks charging his 3000 points of eldar would be a fair fight. 1500 points charging 3000 points was always doomed to fail. Even if your ally was playing all out artillery, it would still fall to you to mostly try to shelter his firepower and weather what they threw at you (get in cover, go to ground) then push forward onto a hopefully dismantled opponent. Without cover, you need a KFF or gretchin screen something to achieve this.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using two 15 strong gretchin screens, but I think that you are right. I got beaten off on turn two, when perhaps I should have waited to let the guard's tanks and autocannons have more effect. The eldar combination of dire avengers and warlocks was a serious impediment to my mobz, since I almost didn't have mobz come the end of the shooting phase. Also, due to how unwieldy the large mobz were and WYSIWYG, I didn't have nearly enough power claws or heavy weapons to the fore soon enough to make a difference. Harlequins, Wraithlords and Yriel just waded through my orks, whilst shining spears and a vyper squadron flanked us and began to obliterate the armour from the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts