Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had an assault issue come up with a veteran tournament player within a tournament. I'm still relatively a new player.

I had an Ork Mob of 17 Slugga Boyz, a Nob versus some Chaos Marines.

Sequence

1. I moved my Nob into base contact which is closest base to base.

2. I attempted to move a slugga boy around to the rear of his unit in base to base contact but I was told I had to move my other guys closest base to closest base instead of using my full 6 inch to surround.

This cause a pile up on one side because the guys only an inch away had to move straight toward him into base to base and I couldn't get all my guys in.

I had always thought it was only the first that took the shortest possible path and the next guys just had to get into base to base if possible or is there a trick of movement I need to use.

----------------------

Second issue was he had some fearless troops that I tank shocked with a Battlewagon with a Deff Rolla. He said he could just move out of the way and I couldn't find distinct wording in the rules what said that deff rolla still caused the d6 S10 hit on his troops. Anyone know a clear and concise way to explain this per the rules?

----------------------

Tank Shock was argued and Ram....I explained I had to declare distance with tank Shock but not with Ram but I was chewed for not declaring distance with Ram. My thoughts was full out is always full out :)

So I never even tied to explain that once his vehicle blew up my battlewagon could go over the wreckage and actually deff rolla his guys that had been in it. (Is this is correct???) I think I would continue to move and crush things but I wasn't sure on this one so didn't even bring it up.

----------------------

And I had an issue with another player trying to say Deff Rolla got the AP (-) for Ram. Which to my understanding it does not?

-Christopher

·
Registered
212 Posts
The unit was tank shocked, thereby he got the 1d6 s10 hits, cuz moving "away" is a effect of the tank shock.
There is no AP on the Deffrolla, but neither does a tank shock, so the AP - part is just bull, but he gets armor saves from it though, but it doesnt count as -1 on damage table.

If you say "full speed", he cant whine about you not mentioning "how far that is", cuz.. its the max you can do, aka 13" with a battlewagon (RPJ), or 19" with a trukk (turbobooooost).

About assault, only the very closest model needs to go directly ahead, the others are to go their 6" and get into base contact with as many models possible.
So taking the tour around is perfectly legal, in my eyes atleast :D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Checking the rulebook it only says that the first model must take the shortest possible route, although it doesn't actually say that therefore the other ones can move to the side it is just kind of assumed. As for the other things I agree with Toten.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Totem has it all right.

Anyone know a clear and concise way to explain this per the rules?
Show them pg 68 of the BRB, right column, second paragraph. This explains about the Morale check. Then show them the rules for Fearless on pg 75.

The Tank Shock rules state that the unit is attacked and makes a Morale check. Then it explains what to do if the unit passes or fails it. Fearless just allows them to auto-pass the Morale check so you treat them as a unit that passed. Any further effects of a Tank Shock are still incurred (Death or Glory option, moved out of the way if necessary, and Deff Rolla hits).

For more info on the Assault moves there is a prioritized list of rules in the bullets points on pg 34. These rules count for the models moved after the initial closest-to-closest move.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keep in mind with the assaulting, the closest model has to charge first, closest to closest. After that has been done any model is allowed to move, but it does have the restrictions that it must engage an enemy model if possible and, the most important one to remember, it must also stay in coherency with a model that has already moved in the assault.

So if you moved your Nob first because he was the closest, you are allowed to move any other model as long as it gets into B2B if possible with an unengaged model, or an already engaged model if it can't reach an unengaged one, and must maintain coherency with the Nob. After that model is moved, you can move any other model you want as long as it gets to B2B if it can, and maintains coherency with the Nob or the other guy that has already moved, and you continue in that manner until all models have been moved, and remember you must go after unengaged models if you can reach them, (even if you don't want to).

The coherency part is the most important thing to remember, especially if you happen to be multi-charging units, as those units have to be fairly close for you to be able to move into one of them and keep coherency while hitting the other.

As with the Deff rolla, if you tank shock a unit, it takes D6 Strength 10 hits. If it death or glories it takes 2D6 Strength 10 hits. All fearless does is make them pass the moral test to not break and lets them choose if they want to DOG or not.

As with the ram, everyone is right, its full speed or its not a ram, and as for the ap- bull, next time tell him his close combat attacks (even those from a fist) are ap- because they don't have a specified ap. That will shut him up. To clarify that, a lack of ap does not mean ap-.

As for your ram that killed a transport, unless it makes it explode you stop moving. So you would not have continued over his guys, (unless it was an explosion). However if you had made it explode, since the result is done immediately the vehicle would have exploded, the guys would have to take their wounds and pinning test from the explosion, and if there was still movement to be done for the Battlewagon you would have tank shocked the guys inside even if you didn't want to because in a ram you MUST move full speed.

Hope that clarifies anything that may not have been previously clarified.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That I actually do know...it is in a FAQ I was reading trying to find the deff rolla answers. You can't jump off the edge of the board. You stop at the edge.

Can't just kill yourself like that :)

-Christopher

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
That I actually do know...it is in a FAQ I was reading trying to find the deff rolla answers. You can't jump off the edge of the board. You stop at the edge.

Can't just kill yourself like that :)

-Christopher
Yep, main rule book FAQ. The edge of the board is the edge of the universe, no going past. You'd stop, just like you would if you hit impassable terrain or friendly models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts