Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, im currently working on my Necron army which is progressing well and can be seen via the link in my sig. In addition to that i have a very large Ork Waaaagh mustering which can be seen at the bottom of this post. However i dont plan on starting my Ork horde untill my Necrons are near to complete.
So i made the compromise to get cracking on some Ork terrain in between the monotony of finishing up my Necrons. I eventually plan on having a 6x4 table based around an Ork stronghold so in this log i plan to create all the main buildings an bits i plan to incorporate on the gaming table... and eventually somewhere down the line.. the table itself.

I currently have some rough sketches and ideas drawn out which i will be expanding on over the next couple of days.. ill take photos of the sketches and get them up over the weekend to give you a better idea. Currently for the stronghold i have plans for;

2 Ork bunkers at the front of the stronghold
Entrance banner
Powerplant with large kustom force field
Marine graveyard
Mek shop
2 Elevated buildings
Watchtower

First off.. i havent had a great deal of time today but in between assembling a Monolith, before going out i started work on one of the two bunkers.
The structure of the bunker itself is made from foam board, cut to the required size and glued in place with hot glue. The entrance to the bunker has two steps going down also cut from foam board. The back of the bunker is sectioned off using cocktail sticks cut to size and spaced out to give the appearance of supporting the excavation. These have been glued onto the back bit of foam board with hot glue. I have then used Milliput to work on the back wall of the bunker.

Thats all ive done today.. obviously its not looking very Orky atm but its just the base of the bunker. The bunker itself is going to be set on either mdf or foam board. I then plan on building up around the bunker with modelling clay to give the appearance of it being set in the ground. Alot of work still to do on it but the bare bones is there. I plan on doing another bunker so if this one turns out well i might do a tutorial for the second.

Anyway tell me what you guys think so far!

Incoming Ork Waagh!

·
Registered
634 Posts
i dont know what to say mate even after looking at your waaaaagh! to be.... it will be a force to be reconed with me thinks. the terrain looks good should be the perfect cover for all those orks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at this last night and was like, "um, yeah, that's nice, it's gonna go well with the fortress and then the last pic was like, DAMN UR EYES and your large oversized flappy wallet that allows such pictures to exist!".

Then went into an unfortunate coma till now :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right.. bit of an update today.. been doing abit more work on the bunker. Ive mounted the bunker on a foam board base using hot glue and have begun building up the area around the bunker with Milliput. Ive also worked on abit of detail just with some sculpting tools, some hillside rock basing and some mesh from an onion bag of all things. Its coming along nicely but i still have to sort out the back of the bunker by building it up with Milliput. The structure of the bunker is pretty much done now.. time to get some more detail on there and "Orkify" it. That wil have to wait now untill the Milliput hardens and PVA sets.

Anyway here is a rundown of how its come together!

Bunker mounted on foam board base

Building up the entrance ramp

Building up the front of the bunker

Working on details

Thats all for now, thanks for reading, more to come!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Looks pretty sweet.

Powerplant with large kustom force field
Marine graveyard
Mek shop
The graveyard I think, is a little out of place. Orks don't really care all that much for SM. Or were you thinking mass graves or some such? I just think an organized cemetery is too not-orky.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the comments...I have a skeleton regiment box set and its going to be a pit of dead bodies basically with a few marines being crucified around it... there will be no organisation rest assured ;)

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
did you buy every ork model in your local store :shok:.
can't wait to see some of them painted, if there anything like your red necrons this should be a great log.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just a quick update.. ive had my head in the books revising for my exams next week but i took abit of a break earlier to do abit more work on the bunker.
Ive basically started getting the bunker looking abit more Orky. Ive used plasticard and corrugated card on the front. Ive marked out a "U" shape at the front of the bunker where i plan to have some sandbags and also a cocktail stick where i plan to have a banner.
Ive also started work on the marines i plan to have crucified at the mass graveyard. Not a great deal done today but time isnt my friend atm.

Anyway heres my progress!

·
Registered
857 Posts
this is looking really good so far. gunna be eager to see more. make sure there's dakka and a healthy supply of rivets and gubbins.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Gubbinz, we need more gubbinz, and a mek to fix your gubbinz.
Lol the first time I herd the Big Mek say that line on DoW I thought he said: "Ere' to fix your cupids."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the comments guys.. 2 of my 4 exams done now so i took a little time today to work on the bunker a bit more. In addition ive also worked on the part of the entrance for the Mek shop.
Today ive done alot of work on the back and side of the bunker that were previously not done.. ive built up the back and side near to finish. Ive also done some sandbags at the front of the bunker and started working on the signpost. Ive also laid a cork base in the bottom of the bunker. Its going well and in just need of some more Orky detail. I havent started the actual building of the Mekshop but i have made a large Ork glyph that will form part of the door! Finally ive assembled 10 shoota boyz.. just to give you a better idea of the size.. only 110 more boyz to assemble :)

Thats all for now.. here are some pics of todays progress.

thats all for now, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
857 Posts
as much as I love this, you will burn through so much putty dude! you maniac! buy some plaster at least!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the back is built up with a cheap setting plaster.. only the top layer is putty :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right o.. well my exams have taken up pretty much all my spare time recently... only one to go though so i thought id take a bit of time off to work on some scenary.. the bunker hasnt had any more work done to it just yet.. but i have started on the mek shop.. so here goes.

The building is going to comprise of two parts joined in the middle, one side witht he mek shop and the other with stairs leading to the roof. Ive constructed both sides of the structure and also a separate compartment that will fit inside that will be the mek shop.. the idea behind this is to allow me to work in detail on the shop and glue it inside once it is complete. The inner walls of both structures have foamboard struts on to give it added support when they are joined together. Anyway thats it for now.. ill get more work done on it tomorro. Heres my progress this evening

Large Milliput glyph which will form part of the entrance

Both sides of the structure assembled

Overhead view with inner supports for roof

Side view where Mek shop will be

Inner walls for Mek shop

Mek shop skin

Scale view

Inner wall struts for support when its joined together

thats all for now, thanks for reading, more to come!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, another productive day on the scenary making front. Ive made the stairs for the side of the building.. gone over some detail using modelling putty, worked on the front door, glued the buildings together and the glyph on the front. Thats all ive managed so far today.. next on the agenda is to mount it on a base.. get it looking abit more orky and focus more on the detail. Heres todays progress!

Thanks for reading, more to come!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looking epic on all fronts! I'm curious as to how the bunker plays into this design.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey, well the bunker is going to be one of two bunkers at the front of the ork encampment just outside the perimeter.. i do plan on uploading my sketches of the board soon so it shoud be more clear then.

Untill then.. ive done abit more work on the Mek shop this evening.. its looking abit more orky.. still abit more work to do.. next thing is to make a power generator on the top of the building in the middle. Anyway heres my evenings progress. Sorry for the poor lighting!

Side view of Mek Shop

Aeriel view with 10 WIP boys

Thats all for now. More to come!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts