Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...not senseless beatings at my expense, Ork army.

Ladies and Greenskins,

I'm fairly new to the Ork universe and was hoping for some constructive :( criticism for my "dreadmob". Thanks for any advice you can give. Here it goes.

HQ 85
Big Mek w/KFF

HQ 85
Big Mek w/KFF

Elites 300
Lootas x 10

Lootas x 10

Troops 925
Shootas x 27, Rokkit Launcha x 2 & Nob w/PK & BP

Shootas x 27, Rokkit Launcha x 2 & Nob w/PK & BP

Sluggas x 27, Rokkit Launcha x 2 & Nob w/PK & BP

Deff Dread w/ 3 DCCW & Skorcha

Deff Dread w/ 3 DCCW & Skorcha

Fast Attack (3 separate slots) 135
Deff Kopta w/ TL Rokkit Launcha

Heavy Support 470
Killa Kan x 3 w/Grotzookaz

Killa Kan x 3 w/Rokkit Launchaz

Mega Dread w/ DCCW, KillKannon, Skorcha x 2, & MegaCharga

Total 2000

Whadya think?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pretty good so far, I'd split the 2x DeffDreads to 1x each to let the opponents have more targets. :)

It's a fun squad that may krumple the enemy who doesn't have enough heavy Str weapons, but the lack of troops (you only have 3 full moving units, 2 shootas and 1 slugga) to capture/score victory points may lose you some scenarios... But you'll do good in a annihilate mission. :D

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry about that. I meant them to be split. Thanks for the advice. Should I shuffle some points around and maybe do 5 squads of 20 boyz?

P.S. Actually the local club here mostly plays annihilate missions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry about that. I meant them to be split. Thanks for the advice. Should I shuffle some points around and maybe do 5 squads of 20 boyz?

P.S. Actually the local club here mostly plays annihilate missions.
Yes, do make more squads please. More squads means more targets and the opponent will have to decide which squad to shoot first (probably the most important reason), easier to move and hide in cover, more units to score points (some players field a small group of gretchins for this reason :p ), more Big Shootas if you plan to field them and Power Klaw Nob! :biggrin:

Most pro Ork players around the 'net stick to groups of 20 boyz + 1 Nob, and free up more points for more squad of boyz or other more krumpy stuff. :so_happy:

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I dropped 1 DCCW on each Deff Dread and replaced one with a skorcha and the other one with a rokkit launcha to free up 15 pts to change the big shootas in the boyz squads to rokkit launchas.

Any second opinions if it is necessary or optimal to shuffle points around to change the 3 squads of 30 boyz each to 3 squads of 20 shootas each and 2 squads of 20 sluggaz each?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Don't put rokkits on deff dreads as they need 5+ to hit, just take skorcha only for softening up before assault or if you must two big shootas. Take multiple rokkits in the mobz so one rokkit per 10 as per the codex.

On foot you need 30 boyz per mob tbh.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking your advice I added a rokkit launcha to each of the shoota mobz and changed the one deff dread's rokkit launcha to a skorcha. To free up points I dumped the grot oilerz from the big meks and the grot riggaz from the mega dread.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was planning to just run flailing:wink: into battle. I wasn't clear about the movement and firing rules so now I moved 2 rokkit launchaz into the sluggaz mob.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your Deffcoptas are a bit of a risky unit. Deffcoptas tend to go down pretty fast, even with their higher toughness. Breaking them up into groups of 1 unit each will help with the morale issue, but you're leaving more kill points for your opponent to claim. You mentioned that you mostly play annihilation games in your local scene, so that should definitely be something to think about.

You may want to think about replacing them with a squadron of Buggies w/ Rokkits. You can still do the twin-linked thing for a better chance to hit things, and you can use the buggies to shield your own troops.:eek:k:

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your Deffcoptas are a bit of a risky unit. Deffcoptas tend to go down pretty fast, even with their higher toughness. Breaking them up into groups of 1 unit each will help with the morale issue, but you're leaving more kill points for your opponent to claim.
I have intended them to be split into separate units from the beginning.

No because you get 2 S4 shots fired first while slugga boyz lose that strength if tied up like shoota boyz and orks aren't the best in combat anyway
I'll take your advice into consideration. I'll probably try out both on the tabletop and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dont underestimate koptas! I think deffkoptas is the best unit in orks first of all you have to start the match if you want them to work the finest
then before the match begin you use your scout rules to turbo boost 24inces to your enemies weak spot like all kind of troops that dont have a power claw/fist. then the match begin drive closer and shoot then charge :p 6 deffkoptas can hold up almost any unit and make them useles for the enemy. in you case you just charge your enemies antitank squad
sry 4 my bad spelling :p hope you understand xD

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
About the only thing that I could add to this would be to consider running buggies instead of deffkoptas because that does eliminate the moral test of the koptas. So something to try.

Also the naked meks are something you amy want to see about getting each one a burna. This way as they move up and incounter enemy troops or vehicles they can be useful with either a flame shot or better the additional power weapon to either cut up vehicles or add extra power weapon attacks to CC.

Otherwise this looks like a good list.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the great advice. The GW Warbuggies appear to be a better option over the Deff Koptas on paper but how can I say this,...the model...sucks :puke:. Maybe I could convert a Elysian Tauros to a Warbuggy :so_happy:?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't know if this was already hit on or not, but in my CC orks, I never run them with rokkits or big shootas. I always run them and the points usually end up being a waste for me. Just something to think about. Also, if you do that, you can break up the shoota squads into 3 mobs of 20 and give that new mob the rokkits.
As for the Deffkoptas, I've never liked them simply because they're power klaws only end up being a S7. Also, running them as 3 independent squads seems like a bad idea to me because it doesn't take that much to kill one of them, and in a kill points game, your opponent is going to target your weakest point, or where they can get easy kill points. Thats 3 kill points right there! On the other hand, if you sack them, then you should have points to give a new shoota boy squad a Nob with a PK and the two meks burnas.
Killa kans are a great choice by the way, I think that every enemy I've faced has horribly undervalued them and when they're running with a KFF, they're really hard to kill for their low point values!

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm still waiting on the Mega Dread from Forge World and I have a ton of painting that needs to be done. I was going to use Warbuggies for annihilation games and if I use my Deffkoptas they would be used strictly for objective games. I still need to find a good model to convert for Warbuggies. I like the Elysian Tauros but they're pretty spendy.

To make a more competitive list for some situations I was going to replace the points for the Dreads, Deffkoptas, and 1 Big Mek with a Biker Warboss and a Nob Biker Mob for flanking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts