Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so having popped into a GW store to buy a Valkerye after being out of the hobby for a few years... I decided to start an Ork army, go figure.

Really it was the fault of seeing what other new stuff was around and noticing that the Orks now have a whole bunch of great models and since i've always had a real; soft spot for teh Greenskins, i thought i'd collect an army.

I'm starting off based on stuff I like rather than a specific army list but i like to make sure everything is legal, then once i've done some stuff i'll start jigging it into an army list.

So to start with I grabbed the following [did it all at once so i have a whole selection of bits.

Warboss
2 x Nobz box [plus have a few metal ones kicking arond from years back]
3 x Loota box [with excess boys can do 12 burnas and at least that many lootas]
2 x Ork battleforce [bikes will largely get turned into nobz bikers though may also have a large regular warbike mob, not fully decided yet, def gonna get the FW Warboss but still debating the Nobz]
Black Orks [for turning into Ard boy shootas... only way i'm going to get to paint these guys and i really like the models.]
Battlewagon [bought 1, likely to get another couple.]

I luike to reward mysel;f by getting to paint something cool for paining a unit, so starting off with build 12 slugga boyz and their trukk

Next up started converting some Black Orks into Ard Boyz wiv shootas

And finally some conversion on the warboss, using a nob banner pole for the attack squig and the powerklaw from the BR warboss [got for a few quid off ebay but felt the plastic boss was a little 'flat' looking.

Hope y'all like. Gonna get cracking with the painting. Will run a few models for a colour test. Likely they'll kinda be deathskulls as i want a similar colour scheme to my BloodBowl team. [I really like bad moons but yellow is a tough colour to do on a lot of models.] Pics when the tests are in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Where the heck did you get some of those bitz? they look great, will be watching!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Largely a case of buying a bunch of orks at once. Had a few Metal Nobz and metal Black Orc heads kicking around for a few years since i'd always wanted an ork.orc army but never did find the energy.

Oh, and the Razor saw, best £12 I ever spend for modelling, the thing is just so awesome if you like converting things. Especially on plastics which don't take terribly well to being mauled with clippers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice units so far, will be watchin I have a project running here for a Evil Sunz mob with Gargants, and will be posting a guide to make a Buggy thats vastly better than the old GW one lol.

Certainly gonna be watchin this warband.

Oh and what sprue/set is the buzzsaw waraxe off, I want I want

·
Registered
11 Posts
looks great so far, always loved greenskins and there just so damn good for converting, just a shame i can never be bothered to paint that many models LOL

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice units so far, will be watchin I have a project running here for a Evil Sunz mob with Gargants, and will be posting a guide to make a Buggy thats vastly better than the old GW one lol.

Certainly gonna be watchin this warband.

Oh and what sprue/set is the buzzsaw waraxe off, I want I want
Off the Nobz box sprue, some really nice Huge Choppas... shame they're not much cop in game. Couple of them may make nice adds to deffcoptas though *thinks*

looks great so far, always loved greenskins and there just so damn good for converting, just a shame i can never be bothered to paint that many models LOL
That's why I never quite got round to it myself LOL. Hence the mechanised part... I also suspect it may be heavy on the more elite units.

I think I've found a way I find acceptable to speed paint them too, god bless the new washes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, an update. Have done a test batch of 4 slugga boys to play with ways of doing metal and ork skin... think i've found a way i'm happy with that can be done pretty quickly and produces reasonable results.

Had trouble getting a good photo, the blue is looking a tad brighter than it actually is but these should give an idea.

Now going to do the other 8 boyz, from then on I think painting in batches of 6 should be a decent boredom/speed intersect :)

Still struggling with whether to buy the FW nobz bikers or not, some bits i love - some i don't and £50... hmmm

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice work! Im liking the knarloc green flesh (thats how I do mine!)

As for the FW nobz, I personally dont think they are worth it... Im personally going to get the warboss on a bike as it looks more special even though you get less pound for pound, I think FW should be reserved for something that looks the nutz!

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
looking nice.. heaps of ork projects going around which is good fun cose i can get ideas from them all for me bad moonz!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, time for an update:

Was on track to finish my Boyz squad by this weekend until my order arrived and i got distracted building...

Parts from various kits and some work in progress stages included. I've since added some glyphs, a couple i've sculpted myself which are drying right now.

I'm chuffed with the way it works out... I was first inspired by noticing that the chimera tracks backward are the same shape as a landraider but more accurately represent the armour of a looted wagon. Comments welcome.

Hopefully have my finished boyz up in the next few days and some pictures of my next squad being started.

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
that is an awsome looted wagon, definitly rep for these guys, and wow, keep up the good work!!

Oh and crit on the test subjects lol, i like the greener one more, just seems to be more orky and doesnt look like a sick/pale ork.

cant wait to see what you do with the buggys if ya get some/convert some.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Dog :)

I know what you mean about the flesh and I have been kind of torn. I primarily went with the browner skin because I'm trying to experament with a more naturalistic palette. Plus I have a DA army so have plenty of experience with normal greens :mrgreen:

I haven't fully decided but i've been thinking of mixing skin tones slightly across the army... after all, humans don't all have the same skin tone and we know that Orks darken with age.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so ultimately I got behind schedule and neglected updating this thread, sorry :(

But I figured that before starting my planned new project Log I should add some final product pictures.

The blue comes out kind of flourescent in the pics but is more matte in real life.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice you make a fellow deffskull proud.

And also HOLY FUCKING SHIT BOW JOHN JUST POSTED HERE!

All Bow down to his glory.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I really like the looted wagon! The boomgun is sweet! I'm really looking forward to seeing this baby painted up and will follow this log to see how you do. How do you do your blue? I'm doing deathskulls too and am trying to make the blue stand out more. Any advice on paints to use would be really cool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts