Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why hello thar. I am about to paint up some suitably Orky slogans on an Ork Trukk using Ork glyphs don't you know. I have unpainted images of the vehicle in question in the project in my signature (unfortunately due to a lack of light on several days there aren't any photos of the near-finished article).

The premise for this scheme is that the Trukk belonged to a goff clan and then became 'looted'. Plenty of checks over which will be painted blue slogans hopefully in the medium of glyphs.

My question is: How do I write 'Waaagh! Skullfang'? - Skullfang being the name of my warboss.

Quite a simple question really but the answer seems a slippery one. The glyphs on page111 of 'da uvver book' from Gorkamorka do not specifically list suitable glyphs. I'm sure there was one for 'Waaagh!' but couldn't find it.

So far I have wound down to using the glyphs Waaa, Kop and Teef which translate roughly as 'tribe of head wealth'.

I realise that Ork meanings are rough and the above could translate as 'tribe of skull fang' but I wanted to get it as close as I could. Mostly, I'd like to substitute 'Teef' with something meaning 'the teeth that you bite with' rather than 'the teeth that you spend'.

Rather a long post I know but any help and advice on where to look is much appreciated and perhaps rep worthy.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I`m not so knowledgable about the specific meaning of ork glyphs, but my advice would just be to write it in bad english. Your opponents will know what it means without needing an explanation, and it suits the orky "So wot?!" attitude.

I have two trukks labelled the "Deff Carria" and the "Burny Wagon." Occasionally, the burna boyz and Lootas will switch rides "just fer kicks."

And possibly some minor strategic advantage. :wink:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the burny wagon. Very Orkish indeed. I know what you mean about bad English. I just would prefer to go with Glyphs - Orks can't speak Gothic. I'm sure I'll figure something out. I may even ask in my GW although I don't know how knowledgeable the guy in there is. You never know though. Fingers (and tentacles) crossed.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
True, it doesn`t make sense. But that`s orks for you.

"eh, I fink dat`s how ya rite it... Whaddya yoo fink?"

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
See they kind of have the alphabet (ish) in the codex with some of the major glyphs, but that could take forever and a day spelling it out. I seem to recall there was a few pages of glyphs in the old 'freebooterz' book years ago, had glyphs for beakies (marines), panzies (Eldar) and stunties (squats). I've no idea where you could get a copy or how much, but there may be one knocking about somewhere.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and give you a yell if I find any :)

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Try here

but the best that gives is: Waaagh - Skull - Teef (see attachment)

You could of course drop one of the Teef in the symbol to represent Fang

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Grins - I actually forgot to look in the new codex, the alphabet in there is a good starting point.

@ Bubblematrix - Superb! That's a lot of help. I think I will end up with a bastardised version of Waaagh! Skull Teeth - I probably would drop one of the teeth to show fang. Maybe even do some blood on it or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts