Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probaly a simple rule or another rule in the long sad history of contradicting rules....

I take a Big Mek, he allows a single Dread as a Troop Choice.
So can the Dread hold objectives. I seen some tourneys where they do since they count as a troop Choice and Troops are the only things that can capture Objectives. So in a list with 2 Dreads and one Mek allows one of my Dreads to take Objectives right? Or is there something in the rules that say otherwise?

·
Registered
496 Posts
in the Vehical section of the BRB it says Vehicals may never claim objectives

·
Registered
468 Posts
Check p90, 'Scoring Units'. A unit of Troops does not count as scoring if it's a vehicle, a Swarm, or has a rule preventing it from scoring, such as Death Company.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Well that makes the Single Dread as Troop ^@%#ing worthless
What on Earth makes you think that!? If you're playing for fluff, you can take 7 Dreads, or 9 Killa Kans and 4 Dreads, if you wish. Gretchin'll do your objective taking!

·
Registered
496 Posts
how is that worthless?

you can take it as a troop choice meaning your Heavy or w/e is free for more important things like battle wagons

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Stern Guard in a CF Pedro build is useful, this Single Dread not so much to me.
These are two totally different situations. Pedro makes Sternguard scoring not Troops, so you have more scoring units.

Big Meks allow you more Dreads in the army(or other HS options).

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Yep, if you want a scoring vehicle, play Dark Angels..............
.........and lose out on the otherwise free frag grenades? No thank you! *walks off snobishly*

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Would any body have objections or comments on a houserule that would allow that one dread to capture/hold?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are two totally different situations. Pedro makes Sternguard scoring not Troops, so you have more scoring units.

Big Meks allow you more Dreads in the army(or other HS options).
Well thats my point. The Non troop Scoring Sterngaurd are more useful cause you have a potential 9 scoring units where if I take 2 Meks/2 Dreads I have a max of 4 scoring units. Really useless for a Ork army, they need all the Objective Holders they can get.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well thats my point. The Non troop Scoring Sterngaurd are more useful cause you have a potential 9 scoring units where if I take 2 Meks/2 Dreads I have a max of 4 scoring units. Really useless for a Ork army, they need all the Objective Holders they can get.
If taking them is useless why take them in the first place? Because the pros outweigh the cons - you get an extra dreadnought (or two) without using up your valuable heavy support choices. Use a squad of getchin to hold an objective and use the rest of your army to take/contest the others an you've won, regardless of whether the dread is scoring.

Houseruling vehicles taken as troops is a slipery slope, you'd end up with blood angels taking 5 scoring death company dreads.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What on Earth makes you think that!? If you're playing for fluff, you can take 7 Dreads, or 9 Killa Kans and 4 Dreads, if you wish. Gretchin'll do your objective taking!
can i just ask how you worked that out, maybe i'm missing something but your getting 5 dreads max, 2 in troops from having 2 big meks and then you only can get 3 more in HS. kans come 3 per slot so if you have 9 cans you can only have 2 dreads.

please correct me cause i like the idea of what it will look like but a can't see the numbers your stating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts