Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After playing a few games with my Blood Angels army, I have realized that my army list is complete shite. So in redoing the list and ripping apart my half painted army to re-equip Marines with new gear, etc. I have decided to create a new BA successor chapter altogether, full of homebrewn individual characters a Chapter Master and so forth.

Anyways, long story short - is there any real reasoning or history behind the naming of special characters within the SM Chapters? I've heard criticisms in response to people, in creating their own chapter, naming special characters with names of completely different origins than those known to that chapter. I wanted to research some names for my chapter, but didn't want to make all the names say, Roman in origin, where the BA names may be old English names.

This may seem goofy, but I get nit picky when it comes to creating a chapter, and I want it to flow correctly and fit in realistically with set fluff.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
There are a lot of historical references in the 40k universe but depending on when the characters were first penned depends on exactly how well they mesh together. Lets take the blood angels for example.
The early special characters were Dante, Mephiston and Tycho.

Mephiston is derivative of Mephisto and is one of the deamons of the underworld, sometimes it's used as a psudonym for the devil himself.

Dante is a character in the divine comedy that visited and chronicalled his journey though the layers of hell so we seem to have a correlation.

Tycho i can only seem to find a single historical reference for though. Tycho Brahe was the man who most accurately measured the distance to the planets in the solar system. He wasn't hated by the church or in any way considered demonic (as far as i can tell, correct me if i'm wrong).

Tycho is the obvious weak link here as he doesn't seem to be named after a biblical or religious referance. However his first name is Erasmus which could be in referance to a scholar who rewrote the New testemant and was influential in the forming of the Lutherians.

Other characters:
Corbulo:A Roman general
Astorath: Ashtoreth is a female demonic entity in the hebrew bible, it became masculine after being adopted by christianity.
Lemartes: i cannot find any referance to lemartes though somone might know where this stems from.

So there is an overrulling theme of religion and more losely demonolgy running through the Blood angels from the earliest days of the hobby. These references seem to stem from a variety of sources and backgrounds however so it seems that just having a theme is enough to use as a reference for naming space marine chapter characters.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright sweet, then I will just find some names that are related in origin and give them to my Chapter. Possibly horror flicks or Vampire names, as it would suit the BA background. Though I like the idea of using Daemon references.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I swear that if you name anyone in you army Edward Cullen, I will hunt you fucking down.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Remember, it could be worse i.e. Great Wolf Jacob.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I swear that if you name anyone in you army Edward Cullen, I will hunt you fucking down.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Remember, it could be worse i.e. Great Wolf Jacob.
If I ever encounter such individuals, my Broadsides will pound them into paste with their guns and my Kroot will munch down whatever is left. Then those Kroot that feasted on them will be incinerated lest they taint the future generations.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I will do far more to him than that brother. You will know fear and pain in measures not even the Dark Gods themselves can fathom. Heaven will not have enough angels to stop me and Hell not enough chains to stop me.

Twilight must never become involved in Warhammer 40,000. Consider this an offical decree, kept secret, by the God-Emperor of Mankind! He forsaw the horrors of Twilight, and while he can tolerate Chaos -- he will not tolerate borderline homosexual vampires.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Shit, well there goes my Chapter Master idea....

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Army of Darkness :so_happy:greatest 'horror' movie of all time. "Shop smart, shop S-Mart" would be my chapter's Battle Cry

Brother Emund - I was thinking Germanic names would be badass. Norse would have been my first choice, but I think Space Wolves have dibs on those.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've found that GW nicked many names directly from ancient literature, specifically Dante's Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost. If you're looking for good character names not yet used by GW I'd suggest Chiron. He was a centaur that appeared throughout ancient Grecian mythology, famous for tutoring Achilles and Hercules, and was cast as an agent of Hell in the Divine Comedy who watched over sinners in a boiling lake, making sure none raised their head above the level stipulated by their digressions. He was favored because Centaurs were typically violent but by the power of will he had become civilized and enlightened. I thought this would fit the fluff quite well for a character overcoming the Red Thirst or Rage or whatever.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found that GW nicked many names directly from ancient literature, specifically Dante's Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost. If you're looking for good character names not yet used by GW I'd suggest Chiron. He was a centaur that appeared throughout ancient Grecian mythology, famous for tutoring Achilles and Hercules, and was cast as an agent of Hell in the Divine Comedy who watched over sinners in a boiling lake, making sure none raised their head above the level stipulated by their digressions. He was favored because Centaurs were typically violent but by the power of will he had become civilized and enlightened. I thought this would fit the fluff quite well for a character overcoming the Red Thirst or Rage or whatever.

Hell yeah, thanks man. That will be the name of the Chapter Master then. I plan to make a model of the Chapter Master, but not use him in games. I've got 2 Librarians to name, 4 Sergeants, and a Chaplain who will count as Lemartes in-game. I will have to cruise through more literature online and figure out more, but Chiron is definitely a good start

1 - 13 of 13 Posts