Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a few weeks back a mate of mine showed me a picture from the orc and goblin release scheduled for march

the picture showed new savage orcs both foot and on boars. Also a HUGE spider, literally bigger than any other monster in the warhammer range. Also the was a picture of wurzag? the ork shamen dude with the voodoo mask, so im guessing he will be back in the new armybook.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Damnit I was right - check the page ix of the little warhammer rulebook in IoB - there is a FUCK OFF HUGE spider at the back, it's bigger than the giants, I thought it was just a general or something but it has many little goblins in a cupola on the back.

I was sure I hadn't seen a model like that before, but not being familiar with the fantasy model range I assumed I was just ill informed = but on second look, it's huge.

If anyone has a scanner to hand and the book please post a pic, if not I will take one tonite.

And if I am being dense please tell me what that model is as I want one!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Withouth meaning to rain on anyones parade, a couple of points:
1. Even a cursory look at the picture will tell you that over-exaggeration is your friend. Yes, its a really big spider, but bigger than the giant? Um, no, the giant is quite clearly taller than the spider (athough yes, the spider is longer and wider, but it'd have to be, really, wouldnt it?)
2. The caption for said picture makes mention of "specially converted monsters" - the only ones there that could be given that term are the spider and the thing behind it being pulled by giant squigs. Also, the howdah, to my eyes, looks a lot like the howdah from the stegadon in its overall shape and construction - obviously I cant see details, but thats how it looks to me.

At the end of the day, if O&G are getting an enormous spider, more power to them (although I personally think thats taking things a little too far), but I serioualy doubt it'll be that particular model.
Although, as always, i could be wrong, but who knows?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That rumour has been around for a while.

I like the return of Wurzag. My orcs have missed his "now you are a squig" ability for too long.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Withouth meaning to rain on anyones parade, a couple of points:
1. Even a cursory look at the picture will tell you that over-exaggeration is your friend. Yes, its a really big spider, but bigger than the giant? Um, no, the giant is quite clearly taller than the spider (athough yes, the spider is longer and wider, but it'd have to be, really, wouldnt it?)
By width, length (laid down for the giant), volume, mass and bulk it is bigger, a base to fit it would be bigger, its sides for purposes of units hitting it is bigger.
So in every single way other than height its is bigger.
And an argument of "it'd had to be" kind of shoots your point straight down.

2. The caption for said picture makes mention of "specially converted monsters" - the only ones there that could be given that term are the spider and the thing behind it being pulled by giant squigs.
Indeed, I missed that bit, presumably it must be a spider riders 3up or similar which would be avaiable to GW HQ.

Also, the howdah, to my eyes, looks a lot like the howdah from the stegadon in its overall shape and construction - obviously I cant see details, but thats how it looks to me.
As I stated, I have only been looking at fantasy for a short time, about 2 months ago, and I still see models I have never heard of before. I will assume you are right and that component was used.

At the end of the day, if O&G are getting an enormous spider, more power to them (although I personally think thats taking things a little too far), but I serioualy doubt it'll be that particular model.
Although, as always, i could be wrong, but who knows?
I think you are spot on, it's likely not the model, still a really giant spider is in keeping with the army and would be quite nice.
Also with the fantasy division of FW coming into being huge fantasy models are set to become way more common.

Shame it isnt it though, I may have even bought one if it looked like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The giant spider looks alot like a 3-up of one of the spider rider spiders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts