Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I've never used them, but their is a reason behind that.

Firstly, 25 points a model. Thats 250 points for a full squad, with no upgrades. There's a lot more effective units you can get more around half that price.

Long range they suck. BS 2, like most orks, 1 shot per gun = fail.

They only thing they could be good at (on paper) is close combat. 3 attacks each not bad, but low initiative and a lack of CC upgrades lets them down.

Their save is one of the better ones in the army, but nothing amazing really. That's basically the only positive thing I can think of.

Give me Loota's anyday!

·
Registered
375 Posts
As others have mentioned already they are unfortunately in an awkward position in the codex currently as so far not only is it placed in Heavy Support, instead of Elite, where it should be (since almost everything in HS for Orks outdoes the Flash Gitz in their own roles plus have high demand) but are overpriced for what they can do and have a mixed unfocused role in the Ork codex; where it tries to be dead shooty and strong in combat. Unsurprisingly the Flash Gitz fall far beyong optimal in both cases. In terms of shooting having only 1 S5 shot each with only BS2 makes them a far cry from the shooty death squad they are said to be, and in terms of combat they are mediocre as without any options for CC weapons you may as well take normal nobz. In any case major upgrades or additions through characters are needed to make te Flash Gitz close to doing anything significant in games and by the time your done blinging up the Gitz, they cost a hefty amount of points that still isn't that great and are still outmatched by real dedicated shooting support like Lootas, and real dedicated CC troops like Nobz. Overall they're a niche unit that doesn't play any real vital role in an ork army and usually are best for narrative, fun games rather than competitive.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I can see them being effective if you give them the More Dakka upgrade but then they cost a whopping 30 pts per model, which is FAR too much for Orks. Plus they take up a valuable Heavy slot which could be used for more killy stuff.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Well,...you could look at it from this perspective. For the pts. cost of 9 Gitz, optioned and kitted out including a Painboy and Badrukk, you could have 41 Lootas. That's 18 24" S6 AP/D6-1 and 3 S7 AP2 shots plus "Gets Hot" per round VERSUS a potential 123 48" S7 AP4 shots per round. :unsure::bye:

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Flash Gitz = bollocks

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
flash gitz are those poor ladz that got stuck in the heavy section instead of the elites or a nobs upgrade. I don't think they have any use in game play unless it is APOC or a friendly fun game.
I have put them in an army with Badrukk and Old Zogwort just for giggles and some chaotic fun but other than that they do not have a use for serious game play.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I disagree with most people, I think they can be fantastically effective.
They're fairly tough, good in combat (despite not being armed for it), and have powerful guns (you would ALWAYS give them More Dakka!).
If I were to take them, they would definitely be outfitted with both Dakka and Blasta, meaning that have a 66% chance of being AP3, and a 50% chance of being AP2.

That said, they are effective when used right, mobile, and tough; but the main problem with then, as has been mentioned, is their FOC slot.
They only really have a place in a very specific army, to make up for a huge lack of anti-MEQ, and even then the enemy doesn't always take heavily armoured dudes.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
They work better in apocalypse games then regular ones, where their relatively higher cost and heavy support type don't really matter.

All in all, as long as you take the right upgrades, they can be relatively effective, as long as they're kept cheap. That said, there are generally better choices in the Ork army, like big gunz kannons, rokkit buggies, and lootas.

However, despite the mediocrity of Flash Gitz as a whole, I will genuinely defend Kaptin Badrukk. He's an excellent character and as long as his unit is relatively cheap, has the maximum number of ammo runts, and has a transport, his unit can do quite well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.