Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Nice clean eldar, intersting that you broke from the standard colours.

I wish I could stop painting for 10 years and still be that good! Thats better than my 15yrs of practice!

The only critism is the hair on the autarch just doesn't seem right, but that may be the picture angle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the +Rep:)

R.e. the autarch's hair - you mean the coour or the actual model? Colour I can fix...

I actually had a devil of a time trying to find a decent head for her - seems I'm short of female elven heas that don't look terrible:p

As it stands the hair does look a bit off - like the wind is blowing it slightly from below or something. Meh, i'll ponder it further, maybe I can throw some green stuff at it:)

Thanks again,

Nick.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Thanks for the +Rep:)

As it stands the hair does look a bit off - like the wind is blowing it slightly from below or something. Meh, i'll ponder it further, maybe I can throw some green stuff at it:)
Yeah thats what I mean.. just a little odd, but the painting is top notch. Ponder longer see what others think

I look forward to seeing more, planning on painting an avatar or Harlies soon? I need to learn how to paint those!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thats what I mean.. just a little odd, but the painting is top notch. Ponder longer see what others think

I look forward to seeing more, planning on painting an avatar or Harlies soon? I need to learn how to paint those!
Avatar is in pieces and somewhere on the list of to dos, as for Harlies...

I've got a few of the old ones - think I painted and stripped those guys about three different times in the 'old days', was never happy with em. I need to aquire some bits to 'legalise' them (and replace various shuriken pistols and swords I've stolen from them over the years:biggrin:). If I see or think of a decent colour scheme I think I can make work they'll jump to the head of the list - especially if I see any nifty Venom conversions that I think I can build.

Currently fiddling with a fire prism kit I picked up on a trip home last weekend at the old LGS from my school days, place has deinitely seen better days but they sold me the prism for £20, score!

Got to finish the Banshees and then it's either old lead jet bikes or some of the bazillion swooping hawks I've got.

Nick.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I've always thought that the scorpions from 2nd ed looked better than their newer counterparts and this army only makes me think i am right. These models look stupendous, love the colours and the poses, it's good to see the old models again.

I do have to agree with the Autarch hair comment. It almost looks like her hair is growing up the wing, might seem harsh as the rest of the model is beautifully painted and converted but i would cut it back and sculpt it slightly shorter but flowing back. Sorta hitting the bottom of the wing and then passing on either side, across her back and shoulder. You cna still get the dynamic hair movement but at the moment the movement is upwards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great stuff , have some rep.
Brought back good memories
Thanks!:) Have to say painting these guys up is dragging up some old, old memories for me too (like remebering just how big a bunch of powergamers some of my old mates were - like lining my poor guys up against 2000 points of wolf guard terminators with cyclones and assault cannon...)

The Autarch hair is bothering me - it doesn't look _quite_ so bad in real life but could probabley stand having her head ripped off and carving some of that mane off and correcting it with green stuff. Can't bothered right now though, will see how I go when my current project's done.

Nick.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
The Autarch hair is bothering me - it doesn't look _quite_ so bad in real life but could probabley stand having her head ripped off and carving some of that mane off and correcting it with green stuff. Can't bothered right now though, will see how I go when my current project's done.

Nick.
Isn't it horrible when you are fine with something but then a couple of jerks point it out and then you can't help but notice it.....can't unsee....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I really like 'em. Nice to see some nicely painted minis and to hear about their previous exploits. Perhaps with a new coat of paint they will fair better. Anyway, + rep for your efforts. As for the hair. I didn't notice it at first and on a second look - I think its fine the way it is. Really, it looks great from the other side of a table. I spent ages painting two armies for a gathering and nobody batted an eye-lid while I was there. As long as you're happy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Old School Eldar - Update

Has been awhile since I added to this, but here's the latest output from the Eldar factory:

Once I got the prism done I kind of got a bit tank happy and decided I needed to build something a bit out there for my guys: The Eldar Hawk Grav-Tank, still very much WIP:

I've mostly run out of platicard at this point so I'm taking a break from building till bits and kits sends me some more raw material. Need to panel the top surface and model on the inevitable eldar gem stone blisters - the pencil marks are my musings on how to arrange the 'feathers' on this beasty. Going to add some falcon engines on the back behind the air intakes.

The big question for me though is what guns to hang off of it - I've got the idea of underslung talons with an eldar heavy weapon as one of the 'toes' surrounded by spare night spinner front blades as the actual hawk claws, but happy to hear any other thoughts...

In rules terms I've no ideas - it'd most likely just get used as a counts-as wave serpent if I ever actually play again. The original idea was for a land raider equivalent assault vehicle but I don't think there's enough room in it for it to be a proper troop transport.

EDIT- Meh, pictures aren't showing up, links till I can figure it out-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5128637847/in/set-72157625120524522/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5129240984/in/set-72157625120524522/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5129239358/in/set-72157625120524522/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5129238330/in/set-72157625120524522/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5129236868/in/set-72157625120524522/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts