Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I played undead many many years ago in fourth/fifth edition and recently unearthed a box of models I though lost to warp that is my under the stairs cupboard. After reading the nagash end of times book I've been sucked into the idea of breaking then out but am looking for helpful hints.

The models I have available are:
Konrad Von Carstein
Vampire on foot
Necromancer
Mounted necromancer
Banshee
20 skeletons with command, hand weapons and shields
20 skeletons with command, spears and shields
20 zombies (sans heads)
10 grave guard with great weapons
10 grave guard with hand weapons/shields
8 black knights with full command, lances and shields
Corpse cart

I haven't bought an army book yet but borrowed one and came up with this list in the grand total of ten minutes:

Lords
Vampire lord w/barded nightmare, shield, heavy armour, lance and talisman of preservation

Heroes
Necromancer w/extra level and dispel scroll

Core
30x skeleton warriors w/full command

30x skeleton warriors w/full command

10x skeletons (necromancer goes here)

Special
5x black knights w/full command (vamp goes here)

I love the idea of a 'martial' undead army, ranks of ordered skeletons and such which is why I've shied away from zombies. Something like a Von Carstein fluff where they still order them into regiments and the like. The necromancers job is obviously to buff and raise skeletons while trying to keep the opponents magic down while the Lord and knights go off and hit things. And I've left out vampiric powers at 1000 points to keep the cost down.

So is this workable? I have a feeling I may be better off switching the vampire lord for a necro lord and the necromancer for a regular vamp. Also mebbe combining the two skeleton blocks into an über block and trying to find space for dire wolves/fell bats.

Any advice would be grand.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Can't see much wrong with this list, without changing it round (Black Knights, when invested in become powerful, but at low level, despite the Killing Blow, I think Vargheists are slightly better in lower point games (3 wound, flying monstrous infantry? Go on then), because you don't have the spare resources into creating a proper Knight bus.

Out of interest, are you playing with End Times rules - as in that case you may find taking Lore of Undeath better on the Necro wizard to get Ryze so you can spam zombie shields.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Vaz. So I've dropped the black knights and replaced them with three vargheists, I've also dropped the ten man skeleton bunker and added a unit of eight dire wolves to give the the vargs something to run with. I've also dropped the lance and barded nightmare from the Lord for for an ogre blade to still give him +2 strength.

Do you think a necromancer lord would be a better idea? Without a steed the vamp is gonna take a long time getting anywhere methinks, although it does mean both skeleton blocks can march side by side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and undecided about end times yet, though probably yes. As you said spamming zombie shields = yes please.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts