Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to a rather rural part of Japan. While I could spend two hours on a train to go to Kita Kyushu to hit up stage 1 and buy some model paint I rather had hoped that I might find something more local.

I've discovered an art store, or what passes for one in Chikuho, that sells a decent number of oil paints but no acrylic (my lifeblood). I've always been a user of acrylic paints for my models and I was wondering what is necessary for painting minatrures with oil rather than acrylic paint? is there a different preparation necessary, how is cleanup different, and so on?

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Oil paints are much thicker, and are not water-based (hence their name). I know that generally the preparation is the same for the model, but the finishing is much different. What i mean is, that you can't certain types of varnish, i.e. finishing/protectant products, because they react differently to Oils than acrylics. I used to know all the differences, since i used to airbrush a lot, but now that i've been away from airbrushing, i'm not so sure about the details. I think your best bet is to get your acrylics online as opposed to buying locally. Chances are, you'll be buying it from your own country now, or rather the one next door anyways (China) so it's almost like buying locally. lol

As a final thought,

I personally would not recommend using Oil paints on miniatures. There are too many problems and difficulties associated with them, (for my tastes anyways) to consider them a viable option. Look hard and see if you can find Acrylics. they are ace.

Hopefully someone can give you another opinion on the matter, or agree with mine, but hopefully we get a variety of answers to help you better decide. perhaps there is someone here who uses Oils periodically...

CP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts