Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think that with the rumoured big monster rules units of 6 will become the norm especially as you'll need all the punch you can get to make up for nearly always striking last against units that will have masses of attacks even more so when you consider the lack of WS, and armour and the average Toughness 4, Elf spearmen will brutalise MSU Ogres.
Also you have no bulls (which makes it an illegal list)and only 16 ogres so you will struggle against nearly everything and banners suck in msu ogres as they lose you victory points when your opponent captures them.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I've been looking at tweaking my ogre list ready for 8th and at 1500 pts you can be fairly competative.
mine looks like this

BRUISER, Cathayan longsword and hvy arm. 142

BUTCHER, dispel scroll and tooth gnob. 160

5 bulls. 175 (bruiser goes in here)

5 bulls. 175 (Butcher in here)

6 ironguts. 294

6 ironguts. 294

2x 24 gnoblars , groinbiter. 100

2 leadbelchers. 110

2 gorgers. 150

Obviously depending on generic magic items and how many characters you want the Gorgers, leadbelchers, gnoblars and characters give you about 600 pts to play with while still leaving you with a solid core plus any extra character you add will give you around 50 pts as you can drop an irongut.
Cathayan longsword I believe will be the new greatweapon (unless theres a magic sword that boosts init or always strikes first) as the main rumour is that combat will go in initiative order and as ogres are init 2 any boost will be important because poor WS and save will make it hard for ogres to have an impact.
That said I still think that my gunline ogre army will come into its own under this edition as it doesn't rely on combat (just lucky artillery dice) and as most armies I will face may as well have ASF against me shooting them before I have to hit them seems so much more appealing.
I think that maneaters with cathayan longswords could become a viable option against slower initiative armies as you'll get a chance to hit first and do a fair bit of damage although at 86pts I'd only take them above 2k.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts