Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Whether or not you can take a lord at <2000pts is still to be seen... if there isnt a specific note in the new BRB saying that you can then it still wont be possible as the army books themselves give you limitations on how many heros/lords can be taken for what points you are playing.... regardless I woulndt take the tyrant under 2k anyway, he's just too costly.

The sort of list I run now is: Tyrant, 3*butcher, 1*3 bulls, 5*3 ironguts, slavegiant with bulls+gnoblars or yhettes to fill up the points... but this is likely to change under the new rules (and I'll have to wait and see them to really build a new list) but is likely to look something like: tyrant, 2*6 bulls+standards (shocker!!), 2*6 Ironguts+standards, gnoblars, slavegiant and 1-2 butchers/3 yhettes.

From the sounds of the rumours 2 ranks will become the norm instead of MSU- giving you much more attacks and increasing the power of your bull charges, which will have the side bonus of making it worth taking standards. On the downside things like maneaters, yhettes and leadbelchers may be too expensive to field decently (like they arent already).
I have no idea what'll happen with magic in new WFB but I think it'll get nerfed pretty basdly... I dont know if that'll mean I just wont take mages or whether it'll make guy magic awesome (if everyone has very few powerdice then hopefully opponents will fnid it much much harder to clear RIP spells... instead of the old I put em up, you pull em down routine they might just stay up- meaning less wounds to the butcher and buffs through the opponent's combat phase as well).... ... we shall have to wait and see.

Regardless of all that I would say that ogres pwn at 1.5k points now anyway- its when the lords start to force their way into the game that the big guys really start to get hammered- I've actually felt dirty taking ogres in low value games before now (but not as dirty as I felt when I've played a few games of WFB with my 40k daemons...).

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
yeah, looks good... except for the Ld7 butcher in a Ld7 bull unit... I would swap an irongut to be a bull and put the butcher in the ironguts instead. The idea of taking banners in ogre units is growing in me as I start to move my thoughts away from MSU: expensive for a unit of 3 ogres (and quite simple for the enemy to steal) but double the unit cost and suddenly the banner might well be worthwhile.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts