Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Deamons of chaos are a very good army so if your main concern is winning with as little effort as possible then they are probably the way to go.
OK is a weak army although the new rules may fix some of their problems added to this they're rumoured to get a new book. if you want a real challenge and a warm glow inside when you win then OK's are the way to go.
Both armies are fairly fast or at least have fast units available (How relevant this will be with random charges incomeing is debateable)
The deamons don't run away as such and the ogres causing fear helps somewhat although their ld is a joke for their size.
Both armies have good combat capabilities although with ogres you'll need to work to maximise their potential.
Deamons have good magic and can use it to dominate the game (at the expense of other phases) Ogres magic is good although unless you take lots of butchers its a bit to easy for your opponent to ignore.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Ogre kingdoms fell foul of the mercenary rule. While as an army they are at the moment at least considered weak its mainly because your paying extra for the dogs of war rule (which is no longer relevant)
At face value ogres are overpriced and their advantages are easily negated when fielded in a pure ogre army but what your paying extra for was the ability to add ogre units to armies that had inherant weaknesses that the ogres could fill (like leadbelchers in a chaos army or a fighty fear causing unit to Empire)
With the new army book rumoured soonish and the dogs of war rule effectively removed from other books it should help adjust the problem provided GW don't bottle it and deliberately weaken them for fear of monster backlash.
Another problem with the OK army is that while on the surface it looks to be the perfect starter army (low model count and easy to paint) it's actually more on a par tactically with wood elves which meant on release there was a rush of newbies trying it out and getting hammered against easier to play armies which led to loads of backlash on forums complaining that the army was rubbish and that stuck.
I win just as much with my ogres both gunline and msu fighty as any of my other armies with the exception of my Chaos Dwarfs who rarely lose but then I've played them pretty consistently since their release and know how they work (Although I'm not sure I really want to relearn with the new edition yet)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts