Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Daemons or Ogres? That's an easy one to answer. That's like being asked if you should eat at a luxury restaurant, or shoot yourself in the foot with a crossbow.

I'm all for picking armies that match your playstyle, and the advice previously posted is good, but I just wanted to say that from my experience, Ogre Kingdoms are terrible. I'm not sure what they had in mind when they released the codex, because the Ogre units in other armies either have far more options, or are better priced.

Not only are the Ogre units in Ogre kingdoms bizarrely inferior or more expensive than other Ogres, but their magic is weak, they get virtually no armor, they don't have shields (they have a version, but it's very limited), they're no tougher or stronger on the charge than Orcs, their leadership isn't great, they're expensive, their weapon skill and initiative is low, you have to take a severely underpowered Ogre unit for each block troop of gnoblars you want, you can't have a spellcasting lord unless you already have a close combat lord, no cavalry, no cannon, the only bolt thrower is a character, no archers or any long ranged mass shooting, and...well, I could go on forever.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible to win with Ogres, but it's very very difficult, and even then you have to use them in a very specific way. If you like Ogres, than I'd play one of the other armies that can take them as a special and/or rare choice.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I just wanted to add that Ogres did indeed get better with the new 8th edition rules, but so did all monstrous infantry. If you like Ogres, then you're much better off playing Chaos Warriors and using Chaos Ogres. Skaven and Beastmen also have nice monstrous infantry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts