Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Ogres can be made to work for you but you really need to learn to play them and learn well... daemons will win and win often from the offset but because of exactly that people will often judge you for taking them (or just not play you).
Daemons are naturally powerful... everything they do they'll be good at and they can go toe for toe with pretty much any other army at whatever they do best if you build your daemon army right. I pretty much think that if you are going to play daemons you need to know what you are doing so that you know how to make nasty lists and, more importantly, how to make iffy lists that can actually lose to other armies (making 'good' lists is somethign to avoid with daemons unless you are taking them to a tournament).

Ogres are a fun army but arent really 'competetive' enough for tournaments... although every once in a while they do turn up and do very well- I recon thats due to them behaving radically differently to all other armies, meaning that people have little experience to draw on to counter them and because the ogre player has probably had some luck with their opponents (ie they havent met a daemon player). I adore my ogres, mostly for their fluff but they are also good fun to play with.. and if you win with them you know its due to good play rather then just out-muscling the enemy.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Im not so sure they did get better- they certainly changed a lot... but the balance of better/worse is a hard one to read.
Units got harder hitting, get ranks, maneaters and gorgers became awesome as did scraplaunchers and slavegiants. The problem is that now ogres strike last in pretty much every fight they'll ever take part in, and most armies out there will be fielding a unit that ogres just cannot charge inot the face of, even with any of the buffs you might normally want- and if you are forced to flank you must do so with a rank, so all the enemy has to do to stop you is to reduce half your units to less then 6 models (Im not intending to use much more then 6 in any unit anyway) and turn to face any that are still large enough: free reform off a musician and then walk towords the ogres... not only forces the ogres to charge but gets rid of the bull charge, not that that is much more then a polish at this point anyway. Bull charge will give you a couple extra S4-5 hits against enemies but isnt going to significantly reduce the amount of attacks on you or make a damn bit of difference if teh enemy has more ranks then you at the end of combat (and as long as they can keep 1 they are almost certain to have more ranks then anything short of a monster of an ogre unit).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts