Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fun build compared the the competitive skrag one I posted earlier, suggestions would be nice. I really tried to make the hunter an integral part of the army because his fluff is awesome, But I am aware that hes a honking piece of s**t.

Lord
Bruiser - HA, Fencers Blades, Mawseeker

Heroes
Bruiser- BSB Silversteel armor
Butcher - Skullmantle, Siegebreaker
Hunter - Enchanted shield, Dragonhelm, Beastkiller, Sword of Might Or Goldsigil
4 x Sabretusks

Core
Trappers x 10
Trappers x 10
Bulls x 11
Bulls x 11
Ironguts x 8 (BSB, Bruiser, Butcher here)

Rare

Scraplauncher

~ 2250

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd have to comment that my favorite part of this army list is the Bruiser armed with the Fencer's Blades. The mental image of that is priceless.

Please do this dude an honorable job during your conversion work. :)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Well I love the list... its rubbish, but should be great fun to play with/against/watch... but having said that the hunter needs some altering. He can't have 2 pieces of magical armour so either the dragonhelm or enchanted shield need to go, beastkiller only works with mundane weapons (you still get ItP, but I think thats a negative) and he can only take 2 sabretusks... I like giving him the greyback pelt so he can keep up better with the sabretusks (and its quite fluffy- and matches the way I've paited my hunter).

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Drop the Ironguts. Always Goes Last Ogres are bad. I'd suggest more bulls. And a unit of Gnoblars to give some rank lovin.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Actually you can have a shield and or a piece of mundane armour, magical or otherwise
You can have a shield and a piece of magical armour, but not a magical shield and a piece of magical armour... so ogres are never going to have a shield at all if they have magical armour (but can have an ironfist... which is a lesser spotted shield).

Drop the Ironguts. Always Goes Last Ogres are bad. I'd suggest more bulls. And a unit of Gnoblars to give some rank lovin.
Sorry but who cares? Bulls are I2, ironguts are I0 (ASL)... so it makes very little difference. Having said that I agree with the sentiment- bulls are much better then ironguts in my view: S4Ap is almost as good vs armour as S6 and the cheapness of bulls means you can get a decent number of wounds/models into your army.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Initiative 0 still goes before Always Strikes last. ASL is bad in my estimation. But, then again more bulls are better now. I'm going to have to buy more bulls to replace those silly Ironguts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Revised- More opinions wanna refine it a little more

Lord
Bruiser - HA, Fencers Blades, Mawseeker

Heroes
Bruiser- BSB Silversteel armor
Butcher - Skullmantle, Siegebreaker
Hunter - Enchanted shield, Sword of swift slaying, wyrdstone
2 x Sabretusks

Core
Trappers x 10
Trappers x 10
Bulls x 12
Bulls x 12
Bulls x 10 (BSB, Bruiser, Butcher here)

Rare

Scraplauncher

~ 2250

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why the hatred on ironguts, they are cool models in a fun game with biiiig bloody weapons and they scare the snot out of anyone to the point your bulls will get into combat.

NEVER going to drop mine, dont care what anyone says! :biggrin:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunno why the sudden hate on ironguts, maybe because their usefulness against heavy cavalry has been effectively cut by the cuts made to heavy cavalry themselves and other armored units. Personally love the look of the models but the argument for more bull bodies for slightly less points is what really motivates me to change them out. Then again I have a huntard in this list so why I didnt splurge on the guts is still in the air :p

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Ironguts are +37% cost on that of a bull... for +2S +1Ld and a 5+AS (of which the Ld characteristic is rarely important). Since the basic bull has armour piercing he'll only reduce the enemy armour save by 1 less then an irongut.

As a basic comparison its fairly even... but if you start to take wounds it gets more and more beneficial to have taken bulls. Eg if you have 6 ironguts you could have taken 8 bulls... but if you have taken 15 wounds from empire handgunners you'll have 1 irongut left vs 3 bulls.
Thats a pretty extreme case, but it shows what can happen. Personally its the low number of wounds of my ogres that often causes me to lose (I just cant take the fire cropssing the board, so when I get there Im too weak to win)... so I prefer bulls because it gives me greater numbers on the board (and greater wounds). If you are playing against armies with lots of basic S3 then the armour of the ironguts helps them out a little but most ememies will either ignore a 5+ save or at least reduce it to a 6+...

I still think ironguts are decent choices, just not worth the extra risk of having less bodies on the field (in my view)... but if you know you'll be playing something like HE with lots of archers and spearmen (or LSG) then go for it.. they'll do far better then bulls.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Ironguts have one benefit, magic banner. The +2 str is rarely needed anymore. Bulls with Iron Fists are better across the board, cause of the 6+ ward save IMHO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have iron guts to protect my 800 points of characters with a rune maw. With Dwellers below flying around like its out of fashion, you have no choice in my view.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I have iron guts to protect my 800 points of characters with a rune maw. With Dwellers below flying around like its out of fashion, you have no choice in my view.
Dweller's doesnt scare me that much since its only 1in6 to kill your tyrant/bsb and 1in3 to kill butchers/slaughtermasters... what does scare me is purple sun/pit of shades, which can anhiliate your units too darn fast and for which rune maw gives no protection. Instead I just like to take the greatskull- doesnt stop the spell but might blow up that enemy wizard.
When I do take ironguts (I only have ~20 bull models) I tend to give them the standard of discipline so that they can operate away from the tyrant without issue... or I can put the tyrant in them and get Ld10 (but lose his Ld bubble).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts