Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, been playing with a mawlock for quite a few games now and found it to be extremely nasty. but its surprises me to find that many of my fellow nid players things its garbage? so whats up heresy what do you guys think?

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
Well, the Mawloc is a bit of the one-trick pony; It burrows up and (hopefully) eats a squad. It then tends to get shot to Hell/assaulted by the survivors, and usually ends up dead. If you're lucky, it can re-burrow and repeat the above...

Most folks now prefer the Trygon/Trygon Primes as they can unleash a respectable amount of shots AND are quite good in close combat. So when it comes down to those valuable HS slots, the Trygon usually gets the nod...

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The Trygon is more versatile, and more durable. People don't usually like to make their HS units sacrificial in nature... They prefer reliability for anything over 80pts per model.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Use the sandwor... er I mean Mawlock if you like. It's a beautiful model and can lead to some hilarious results. The Trygon is the tried and true unit. Statistically it's better than the Mawlock, but stats aren't everything. If you like it, use it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I've seen people be 50/50 on the Mawloc. Some people love it, other hate it. Kinda like Marmite.

As said, a Trygon can be more usefull and versitile, but a Mawloc can be devistating too if used right, and can be great for tying up units trying to kill it while your others are advancing. It all depends on play style.

As said though, if you love it, use it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The trygon can't remove 3 hydra's with one burrow. Especially not when they're surrounded ;)

But the mawloc can!

Both have their merit, both have their uses. The Mawloc is more situational than the Trygon, however.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
As Deneris said: they are one trick ponys. No Nid' player i know uses them anymore, they do very little damage and get obliterated pretty much as soon as they 'pop up'; in hail of whatever is handy at the time, usually Plasma.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Mawlocs jump up, eat guys and then end up like this

Ya Mawlocs are 1 trickj ponies but i have seen people use a pair of them well or teaming them up with a Trygon(Prime).

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
+rep for the name! Very clever!

The reason i hate my mawloc is because he ALWAYS goes off target! You know when you have 1 lucky unit and 1 unlucky unit? He's my unlocky one... So I ripped off his jaw and turned him into a trygon. :)

Come to think of it, why couldn't they just fuze both? CC capabilities of the Trygon, and Burrow ability of the Mawloc? If I were the Hive Mind, that's what I would've done! :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
well, been playing with a mawlock for quite a few games now and found it to be extremely nasty. but its surprises me to find that many of my fellow nid players things its garbage? so whats up heresy what do you guys think?
what's your gimmick? how do you use it?

i've never used it myself, but i think it's a very durable Heavy for 170pts. due to it's sacrificial nature, you certainly need more than one, and it certainly needs support.

whilst Trygons (Prime and otherwise) still reign supreme, it seem like the Lictor + Mawloc tactic is gaining some merit. not to mention, it gets old paying 200+ pts. on a Heavy that has no invul. save. opponents just gravitate to shooting the big nasty bug.

i've been using standard Trygons and so far they work just as good as the primes.

it's certainly a pain in the arse to have a Lictor(s) or Deathleaper in enemy lines, not to mention that if you don't get rid of it, you end up with a precision deep strike up some one's arse. really useful in making the front line of a 'Nid army diversion while it advances.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Reckon the main thing is that its a meager 40 or so points to get a statistically more durable, probably more damaging MC, that still has the deepstrike if you particularly need it.

I tried the mawloc a few times early on, it did well enough - earned a few kills to its name, then got killed off as it was annoying the other guy a bit much. its just a case of comic failure or so-so damage for the model. Trygons for a minor point increase i found to do more damage, with minimal chance of failure. Then i started walking the trygons and it just got better.

If you're running it as a deliberate sacrifice though, it works pretty well... *if* you're trusting enough for it to hit where you need it then it can clock up a lot of kills pretty simply... with that ap on the template burrowing thing. If you use it as a distraction to get some other troops into an advantageous position, (by distracting/eating the waiting counter charge unit for instance) then its served its 170 point purpose, but its an expensive distraction.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what's your gimmick? how do you use it?

i've never used it myself, but i think it's a very durable Heavy for 170pts. due to it's sacrificial nature, you certainly need more than one, and it certainly needs support.

whilst Trygons (Prime and otherwise) still reign supreme, it seem like the Lictor + Mawloc tactic is gaining some merit. not to mention, it gets old paying 200+ pts. on a Heavy that has no invul. save. opponents just gravitate to shooting the big nasty bug.

i've been using standard Trygons and so far they work just as good as the primes.

it's certainly a pain in the arse to have a Lictor(s) or Deathleaper in enemy lines, not to mention that if you don't get rid of it, you end up with a precision deep strike up some one's arse. really useful in making the front line of a 'Nid army diversion while it advances.
well, i don't really have a gimmick i use it with a trygon prime and try to keep them together for the synaptic value but, i have yet to have the mawlock not gain 100% of his points back in a game. i tend to play agenst a lot of mech armies andf use him to target straglers of those lone units that go off to do something alone, then re burrow and repeat, i mean this thing has been golden thus far, i'm thinking about getting a twin, and possible a death leaper to make them even better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts