Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Orcs and Goblins are my main fantasy army, but I had gotten tired of actually playing them (not collecting or painting) in a competitive setting due to, well ... not being competitive.

From what I've seen in the eighth edition rule book I just bought I am liking what I am seeing for the most part; horde rules and steadfast are really going to improve my army as a whole I think. After toying around with the points and seeing what looks like it would work on paper I have created this list; I am a bit wary, however, as I usually would never field anything like this. Mainly the lack of bolt throwers.

Without further ado, onto the actual list:

-Lord: 275 pts-

Borc Warboss: 275 pts
-Shaga's Screamin' Sword
-Heavy Armor/Enchanted Shield
-Amulet of Preservation
-Boar

-Hero: 267 pts-

Borc Big Boss: 180 pts
-BSB: Mork's Spirit Totem
-Heavy Armor
-Boar

Goblin Big Boss: 87 pts
-Wollopa's One Hit Wunda
-Brimstone Bauble
-Wolf

-Core: 1117 pts-

Orc Boyz (38): 258 pts
-Shields
-Full Command

Orc Arrer Boyz (10): 65 pts
-Musician

-Shields
-Full Command

-Musician

-Shields
-Full Command

Goblin Spider Riders (5): 71 pts
-Musician

-Musician

-Musician

-Special: 255 pts-

Orc Boar Chariot: 85 pts
-Extra Crew

-Extra Crew

-Extra Crew

-Rare: 80 pts-

Troll: 40 pts

Total Points: 1994 pts

I also have to say I really like the new magic rules (or at least how they look on paper without having tested them. I've seen the whining), with Mork's banner I am going to have almost the same number of DD as they will PD (and often times equal or more dice - they roll a 4 and a 1 and they have 5, while I have seven!).

I would like all criticism and comments, as long as they are constructive. And about the Arrer boys, they seem to be more useful as I can deploy them five wide and still shoot all ten? Good for scaring away fast cav and the like.

Cheers, Mutants_ho!

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Well, this list looks decent from the offset, I have a few problems though. Your Goblin Big boss, wont acomplish much. I see what your trying to do go for the 3 str 10, then die for the d6 str 6. To kill enemy lords. Problem is, hes I3 so most characters will be striking first.
3 units of 5 spider riders isnt really ideal imo. I would think A) one unit of 15. B) two units of 10. C) one unit of 5 and one of ten.

Those two trolls should be one unit, that way only one stupidity test! Also you have a LOT to go into one deployment zone, how are you planning on setting up?

And while you will be magically well defended, I think you will be feeling the lack of a wizard.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I see what you mean about the goblin boss; for whatever reason I thought chargers attacked first in close combat. Looking back over the rules I see his usefulness will be far less than intended.

I don't want the spider riders attacking anything other than artillery teams or weak skirmisher units; I would rather not hinder their mobility by combining units. I was thinking about just taking two? I think that with the increase in horde units probably running about on the field they may be less useful, but I still would be off put without at least two. If after a few games they don't accomplish much of anything they may get taken down to one unit.

The trolls make extremely good support units by themselves. They are cheap enough that they can be sacrificed with reckless abandon, but strong and resilient enough to attack enemy flanks (or were last edition at least) and to do it successfully.

The multitude of units is also something that I thought about, and to tell you the truth I haven't really decided to take the time to really contemplate it yet. With the emphasis on troops now with less toys I don't even feel like taking any more characters than the General and BSB. With troops this cheap I think I will have a hard time fitting it on the board :/.

As to the wizards, I never took any last edition in my normal army, and I don't feel like starting now. I feel even safer against magic than I felt last edition with just mork's spirit totem, and I was fine before.

Lets say I take out the goblin bb and a unit of spiders; what do you guys suggest I use the points for. I considered trying for a big unit of big un boar boys earlier; what do you think of that. I personally think it would be next to useless ...

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
To my mind, if your taking Boar boys at all, (if you are they should always be Big'uns this ed) Make them savage, the loss in armor isnt actually that big a deal, but the extra attacks make all the differance.

For the spiders, my thought was that yes that is their role, the problem is that is their obvious role so every spare magic missile and shot will be headed for them, and they wont last long against that. I see your point for the trolls though. And I would argue that this edition war machines only got better, especially that their are far more viable targets for most of them. Especially with the fact you could get 4-6 warmachines and still have quite a few models.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I've thought it over a little more; what do you think of this? Closer to what I'd normally field, though far fewer characters than normal.

-Lord: 275 pts-

Borc Warboss: 275 pts
-Shaga's Screamin' Sword
-Heavy Armor/Enchanted Shield
-Amulet of Preservation
-Boar

-Hero: 180 pts-

Borc Big Boss: 180 pts
-BSB: Mork's Spirit Totem
-Heavy Armor
-Boar

-Core: 1046 pts-

-Shields
-Full Command

-Musician

-Shields
-Full Command

-Musician

-Shields
-Full Command

-Musician

-Musician

-Special: 405 pts-

-Extra Crew

-Extra Crew

Goblin Rock Lobber: 75 pts
-Orc Bully

Goblin Spear Chukka (2): 80 pts
-Orc Bully

Goblin Spear Chukka (2): 80 pts
-Orc Bully

-Rare: 80 pts-

Total Points: 1986 pts

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree, it does seem to be a much better list, how do you intend to use it? I am very interested because I never use my greenskins without a smattering of Shamen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts