Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured, Hey I've played CSM for a LONG time and this shiny new Daemons codex came out awhile ago, lets check it out......now I'm hooked :grin: I'm liking all of the options and different types of lists I can create with different tactics/synergies. SO anyway, here is my first list:

HQ

Lord of Change: 295 pts
- 2 Greater Rewards, Psyker 3

Herald of Nurgle: 80 pts
- Lesser Reward, Greater Locus of Fecundity

Herald of Tzeentch: 95 pts
- Pysker 2, Exalted Locus of Conjuration

Troops

Plaguebearers (20): 180 pts

Plaguebearers (10): 100 pts
- Instrument of Chaos

Pink Horrors (20): 190 pts
- Instrument of Chaos

Elites

Beasts of Nurgle (3): 156 pts

Fast Attack

Plague Drones (3): 141 pts
- Icon of Chaos

Screamers (5): 125 pts

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder: 180 pts
- Nurgle, Phlegm Bombardment

That totals to 1982 pts. At 1902 pts I was wondering what to add and I figured it would greatly help the survivability of my Plaguebearers of my home objective adding in another Herald of Nurgle because I couldn't think of anything better to add in. Although I do feel 3 troops may not be enough for 2k, so any suggestions are appreciated. As well what is best to do with my last 18 pts if you believe the rest is solid. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I figured, Hey I've played CSM for a LONG time and this shiny new Daemons codex came out awhile ago, lets check it out......now I'm hooked :grin: I'm liking all of the options and different types of lists I can create with different tactics/synergies. SO anyway, here is my first list:

HQ

Ok, greater daemon good stats. Opens up DPs of Tz as heavy attack choices. It should be used.

Truly a survivable objectiveholder w. PBs but real a huge overkill. With more threats on the table your objectivholders should be fine even without the buffs of FnP.

Only reason to take this guy is with a full unit of horrors or with a disc, a grimoure roll till you get the +4 inv save and join them with 9 screamers and have 2+ inv save with reroll on 1s!!

Troops

10-15 is enough for a objectiveholder. Aim for cover and go to ground on the objective with a 2-3+ coversave.

Plaguebearers (10): 100 pts
- Instrument of Chaos

Pink Horrors (20): 190 pts
- Instrument of Chaos
Strong shooting unit best accompanied by a HoT w. ML3 and loc of conjuration.

Elites

Beasts of Nurgle (3): 156 pts
Never played this new unit and seen them only once in play. Expensive! Overpriced! And random! Not good qualities in my book. They not bad but there are better units in the codex.

Fast Attack

Plague Drones (3): 141 pts
- Icon of Chaos
A really strong tarpit unit that can jump between cover all the way into C.C. As a tarpit unit on 2000p 3 drones doesn't cut it you need at least 5. Use plaguestandard and rot and take a character w. lesser (ap2 cc or template is the way to go in my mind).

Screamers (5): 125 pts
Ok unit. Easy to kill and expensive. Only good use is with HoT combo from above. They work well in larger numbers as tank hunters and to assault low initiative low T units but mostly should just turbo boost over enemy's and slash them.

Heavy Support

A really good unit! One of the best! Don't be afraid to be aggressive with them but keep them in cover as much as you can to get those 2-3+ cover saves. :king:

That totals to 1982 pts. At 1902 pts I was wondering what to add and I figured it would greatly help the survivability of my Plaguebearers of my home objective adding in another Herald of Nurgle because I couldn't think of anything better to add in. Although I do feel 3 troops may not be enough for 2k, so any suggestions are appreciated. As well what is best to do with my last 18 pts if you believe the rest is solid. Thanks in advance!
I would cut points in he troop section and HQ section. Lose the Heralds of Nurgle and make 3x 10 PB units instead. Cut beasts and fill up the drones either make a screamer deathstar w. 2 heralds of TZ ML 3 or go for a fully kitted DP of Tz w. ML3 biomancy and staff. This would make the list super hard. The list you have now isn't bad but it's defensive and the few offensive units are rather easy to pick of one by one. A strong offence will let a weaker defence be and by turn 5 there will be little left to pick of your objective holders. :biggrin:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would cut points in he troop section and HQ section. Lose the Heralds of Nurgle and make 3x 10 PB units instead. Cut beasts and fill up the drones either make a screamer deathstar w. 2 heralds of TZ ML 3 or go for a fully kitted DP of Tz w. ML3 biomancy and staff. This would make the list super hard. The list you have now isn't bad but it's defensive and the few offensive units are rather easy to pick of one by one. A strong offence will let a weaker defence be and by turn 5 there will be little left to pick of your objective holders. :biggrin:
I have to disagree with you on this one, if you bump the second unit of Plaguebearers to 20 as well you have 2 near unkillable units that can take pretty much anything in cc. Just DS them of your Plague Drones's Icon and let the rolfs ensue:grin: I would suggest finding the points somewhere to add a ML to your heralds as the Plague discipline powers make them oh so scary. Perhaps drop 2 screamers and keep them as a small suicide squad vs. tanks?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have to disagree with you on this one, if you bump the second unit of Plaguebearers to 20 as well you have 2 near unkillable units that can take pretty much anything in cc. Just DS them of your Plague Drones's Icon and let the rolfs ensue:grin: I would suggest finding the points somewhere to add a ML to your heralds as the Plague discipline powers make them oh so scary. Perhaps drop 2 screamers and keep them as a small suicide squad vs. tanks?
But with more offence they don't need to be big as no one cares about them as there is far more important stuff to deal with. But even at 20 you only need to get in a late assault and the objective is contested. And adding HoN w. ML only makes it worse. For the same points you can have a fully kitted DP of Khorne, 6 Plaguedrones, 5 bloodcrushers, 1,5 Soulgrinders or 20 seekers....
Everything better then an extreme tarpit/ objective holder. No one contests your objective if they're dead! :grin:

·
Registered
379 Posts
But with more offence they don't need to be big as no one cares about them as there is far more important stuff to deal with. But even at 20 you only need to get in a late assault and the objective is contested. And adding HoN w. ML only makes it worse. For the same points you can have a fully kitted DP of Khorne, 6 Plaguedrones, 5 bloodcrushers, 1,5 Soulgrinders or 20 seekers....
Everything better then an extreme tarpit/ objective holder. No one contests your objective if they're dead! :grin:
Oh believe me they will kill anything they come into cc with, the heralds with 1 ML pack one hell of a punch as do 40 poisoned attacks on the charge. They are not there to tarpit anything, they are there to get in their enemies faces and rip their spines out^^. Also they divert the enemies attention from your Soul Grinders, Pink Horrors and LoC who can continue to rain hell down on them w/o much to worry about. In the end I guess it all comes down to what kind of play style you prefer. I would even go as far as suggesting you'd drop the Screamers entirely and add in another unit of 10 Plaguebearers/Pink Horrors to hold a backfield objective.

Edit: Besides the list looks alot more fluffy that way:so_happy:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh believe me they will kill anything they come into cc with, the heralds with 1 ML pack one hell of a punch as do 40 poisoned attacks on the charge. They are not there to tarpit anything, they are there to get in their enemies faces and rip their spines out^^. Also they divert the enemies attention from your Soul Grinders, Pink Horrors and LoC who can continue to rain hell down on them w/o much to worry about. In the end I guess it all comes down to what kind of play style you prefer. I would even go as far as suggesting you'd drop the Screamers entirely and add in another unit of 10 Plaguebearers/Pink Horrors to hold a backfield objective.

Edit: Besides the list looks alot more fluffy that way:so_happy:
Agree w. Ryo, it's basically down to playstyle. I to would drop screamers in this list. :gimmefive:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the problem I would have with dropping screamers is that wouldn't that severely hurt my anti-armor, especially anything with 12+ armor?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Your Plaguebearers can take care of any vehicle no matter what it's AV is because they always score a glancing hit on a 6. Flyers are still a problem though but there's very little you can do about that w/o the use of allies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your Plaguebearers can take care of any vehicle no matter what it's AV is because they always score a glancing hit on a 6. Flyers are still a problem though but there's very little you can do about that w/o the use of allies.
The soul griders will take care of any flyers, skyfire on harvester.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the list TBH is exactly give or take what i run at 2k as a dual god list and is as good as it gets, but as previously said i would drop the screamers.

Dont forget deepstriking 3 soulgrinders onto ur drone icon is hilarious!

·
Registered
379 Posts
the list TBH is exactly give or take what i run at 2k as a dual god list and is as good as it gets, but as previously said i would drop the screamers.

Dont forget deepstriking 3 soulgrinders onto ur drone icon is hilarious!
I noticed the similarities hence why I suggested running 2 squads of 20 Plaguebearers seeing as you're doing so well with them:grin:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Heralds I will only run if I have squads of 20 otherwise not worth the points. Heralds of nurgle MLv 1 with ap2 and NFL are well worth it in a large squad. They wipe most things out and hold objectives forever.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made some of the suggested adjustments......

HQ

Herald of Nurgle: 105 pts
- Lesser Reward, Mastery Lvl 1, Greater Locus of Fecundity

Herald of Nurgle: 105 pts
- Lesser Reward, Mastery Lvl 1, Greater Locus of Fecundity

Troops

Plaguebearers (20): 190 pts
- Instrument of Chaos

Plaguebearers (10): 90 pts

Pink Horrors (18): 172 pts
- Instrument of Chaos

Fast Attack

Plague Drones (5): 225 pts
- Icon of Chaos

Heavy Support

Total: 1997 pts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would drop the odd 10man unit of plague bearers and use the points to make ur drones 2 squads like this:

3x drones 156pts
+ icon
+ champ with lesser reward (ap2)

Hits hard and splits ur icons up so if one dies ur not screwed and allows u a bit more diversity with your deep striking.

Otherwise is pretty decent list

1 - 14 of 14 Posts